Few years gone, views on Koivu.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Everyone is running around calling Saku a second line center when he clearly was a first line center for a good while. Up until Plekanec took the mantle, he was our first line center.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The media and fefans had been beating on Koivu's head for a long time, and honestly allowing Koivu to play elsewhere was the honorable thing to do, plus it was required to breathe some new air into the franchise.

Gainey inherited a team that was ripe with rot. He had a job to do. He brought credibility and honor back to the franchise. People forget how messed up this team was.

The way he stood up for Brisebois, letting Koivu escape the crush of idiots in the media/fanbase. The two things I question about Gainey were the hiring of Gauthier (hated him in Ottawa) and not officially stepping down after his daughter's death, and allowing Gauthier to run the team under the Gainey name.

Nynja*

Greg Beacham ‏@gregbeacham 2m

Saku Koivu, Jonas Hiller and Dan Winnik won't be offered new contracts by the Anaheim Ducks, GM Bob Murray says.

The stage is set!! Let Gio walk, get Koivu for one year.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal

Saku Koivu, Jonas Hiller and Dan Winnik won't be offered new contracts by the Anaheim Ducks, GM Bob Murray says.

We don't need more centers. Sorry Saku. Hope he signs a 1 day deal though to retire as a Hab.

higgs011

May 8, 2014
Montreal

I would literally sacrifice a year of hab development just to have this happen haha

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
I am going to say something that will make every Habs fan react.

He not only had cancer but was a cancer in the locker room for the last 4 years...

I will be alone in saying that but facts and Habs management behaviour is clear...

You drank way too much french media cool aid back in the day buddy.

There was all kinds of things going on but Koivu being a locker room cancer was not one of them.

You keep saying that we will never know and at the same time you are trying to tell the people how it was. Which incidently is pretty much how a handful of highly controversial and pot stirring so called journalists happened to write back in the day. It was not true then it is not true now.

Ribeiro and Koivu did have an issue. Koivu was in the right and calling Ribeiro out on a thing. That is what a captain does. End of story. The real story.

As for what should be done, Koivu's jersey should not be retired in my opinion. I'd like to see some way of honoring him for sticking with a complete joke of an organisation until said organisation kicked him out. And even then he said nothing. What a guy. He just wasn't legendary on the ice and anything else shouldn't get the jersey up.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Saku was a good hard working player, always showed up despite being on a terrible team. But no way he's ever having his jersey up on the rafters.
Maybe was put in a bad situation when given the C, if you think about it, the captain spot has lost a whole lotta glamour with the Habs recently.....from 94 to 99 ; 6 different captains, then Koivu, and recently the least deserving of the all, Gionta.
In my opinion, the last player in recent history who wore the C deservingly has been Capt. Kirk, since then, just a whole lot of weak leadership.

You're saying he wasn't deserving to be the captain of the Habs? Are you serious? But he was good enough to captain Finland for all those years. Captain of a team that included Selanne, Lethinen, Salo, Timonen, Jokinen, etc. Finland who almost always finished with a medal.... I think people forget how good Koivu actually was.

Koivu 11

Jul 23, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
i was about to reply and then i realised what my username is here...then i HAD to post! the people who "don't remember" are most likely the same people who never actually realised how good he was due to all the hate in the media, especially french. It was truly disgusting the way they treated him. If anyone thinks he was a cancer in the locker room you should just stop watching sports completely, just give up. Saku is clearly one of the most respected players in the NHL and if you cannot judge character as in Ribeiro vs Koivu then you have your own problems lol

I'm not saying he was the best player/captain of all time, but this whole character thing is really ridiculous, especially like 10 years later...

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The media and fefans had been beating on Koivu's head for a long time, and honestly allowing Koivu to play elsewhere was the honorable thing to do, plus it was required to breathe some new air into the franchise.

Gainey inherited a team that was ripe with rot. He had a job to do. He brought credibility and honor back to the franchise. People forget how messed up this team was.

The way he stood up for Brisebois, letting Koivu escape the crush of idiots in the media/fanbase. The two things I question about Gainey were the hiring of Gauthier (hated him in Ottawa) and not officially stepping down after his daughter's death, and allowing Gauthier to run the team under the Gainey name.

Oh, the Habs were unbelievably successful during Gainey's tenure.:sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He'll be 40 later this year, he should just retire. Nothing left in the tank.

As suggested on Melnick's show, if this is it for Saku, let him sign a one-day contract so that he retires as a Hab.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Great man, good player and leader. Not number retiring worthy though. He should get honored by the city though for his contributions on the humanitary side.

highstick14*

Koivu was a good captain, but he will never have his number retired. Retired numbers should only go to Hall of Fame players.

Having said all that, I would sign him to a one year contract and have him retire a Hab. Let Gionta go, and have Koivu be captain for the next year, as a bridge captain.

Last edited by a moderator:

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Maybe he could do what Theo Fleury did. Come back to us for training camp, play a preseason game or two, and then hang them up to a rousing ovation at center ice as he deserves.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Koivu can still play in the NHL, though. Fleury was done.
Sure he can... I just don't see a full-time place for him on our roster this year barring some other move. I'm not sure if he's got any interest in playing at all, or with any other team. Hence my suggestion of a mini-return, which he probably wouldn't bother with in any event.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
very good player, might have had a chance at being great if not for early career injuries/cancer issues... and even with that, had he played for a better organization during his prime years, who knows how good he could have been.

Chet-Nick

Feb 28, 2005
Ontario
Through no fault of his own. Koivu's tenure, in Montreal, was during the franchise's most bizarre and disappointing period in their history. I felt sorry for the guy.

In Saku's rookie season. Tremblay and Houle were given the keys (5 games in) to run the club. A couple of months later, Roy demanded to leave town.

After some poor drafting, trading and little commitment from ownership to improve their fading fortunes. They missed the playoffs three straight years.

That's where we saw Koivu get injured over and over again. You can rewind back to his sophomore season when he suffered a knee injury in Chicago.

After a solid start. That took some wind out of Saku's sails. A bad omen. Sign of things to come for the remainder of his time in Montreal. Things hit rock bottom with the cancer.

Then we had the almost tragic eye injury (via Justin Williams) in the 2006 playoffs. Some days later, a member of the French media purposely asked Koivu questions in French. Knowing he wasn't fluent in the language.

Koivu never complained. Not once did he request a trade. A true professional through tough times. I wish him the best. I will never forget our mighty Finn, #11. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00