Few years gone, views on Koivu.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Few years has gone by, Saku became one of the most unsuccessful captains in the Habs history. Obviously Koivu was a fan favorite and in his playing time you could hardly ask more from him.

But, after few years, how do you guys feel about him? Is Koivu still a part of the history, or is he just a lost face in the crowd?

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...his #11 should be hanging from the rafters the moment he retires, which should be after a 1-day contract from Bergevin so he can retire a Hab...end of story...

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Overated by the fanbase only thing he achieved in is NHL carrer is beating cancer and coming back ( its one hell of a story but on the ice he did nothing great)

To get your number in the rafters here you need stanley cups+individual awards+hockey hall of fame membership

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
...his #11 should be hanging from the rafters the moment he retires, which should be after a 1-day contract from Bergevin so he can retire a Hab...end of story...

I'm not sure he's a guy you retire his number, but he will always be loved in Montreal and it should be for all the right reasons.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I doubt they retire his jersey but I definitely would be fine with it if they did.

I hope they do the 1 day contract thing. Would be nice if we brought him back in the fold one way or another.

Koivu was a better captain than Gionta was.

68*

Great person and a very good player that played with average players during his time here. A role model for everybody.

Let's calm down though.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Great person and a very good player that played with average players during his time here. A role model for everybody.

Let's calm down though.

I know the great golden standards of jersey retirements would take a blow if Koivu got his retired but really I'd be fine with him being an exception.

It's not just about his play on the ice when it comes Koivu's legacy.

It probably won't happen anyways and I understand why they won't retire it but surely fans wouldn't get too offended if it did happen though would they?

68*

I know the great golden standards of jersey retirements would take a blow if Koivu got his retired but really I'd be fine with him being an exception.

It's not just about his play on the ice when it comes Koivu's legacy.

It probably won't happen anyways and I understand why they won't retire it but surely fans wouldn't get too offended if it did happen though would they?

I wouldn't be offended one bit man. I love Saku. That machine he bought for the children's hospital saved lives. Great great man. I hope to see him stay with the team after his retirement. Maybe a scout in Finland?

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
I don't think they should retire his jersey, but he should be the first number to be honored (kind of like the Leafs do), so that his memory lives on with Canadiens for generations to come. He was unfortunate to come into the worst period of the Canadiens' management and finances, then forced to carry the team like a generational talent. When you look back, at one point, we had a center line of Turgeon-Damphousse-Koivu. Even after Turgeon was gone, Koivu lead the NHL in points past the midway point before a major injury. He was the heart and soul of this team for so long and one of the few reasons for people to be hopeful for this team no matter the situation. Really sucks how management treated him following the 08-09 season.

Saintpatrick*

Should have never been let go in the first place. He was the one bright spot in a very dark era. Great captain and a class act. Not sure if his jersey should be retired but his courage and commitment to the Habs should be honored somehow.

People forget that early in his career (1996) he was leading the league in points at one point before he went down to his first knee injury. He wasn't overrated at all just played with crap teams.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Easily my favorite hab. I'm from western Canada and when we went to Cuba a number of years back we had an overnight lay over in Montreal. It was a travel day for the habs the next day and all I could think of in the Airport the entire time we were there was, wouldn't it be neat to run into Saku. The ovation when he came back...... I still get emotional thinking about that.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
On the subject of retiring jerseys... *braces for hate* I'm kind of with Toronoto on the subject. I am all for honoring the players by hanging their numbers from the rafters, but the players can still wear them. I hate that we have only 7 numbers lower than 20 available.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Overated by the fanbase only thing he achieved in is NHL carrer is beating cancer and coming back ( its one hell of a story but on the ice he did nothing great)

To get your number in the rafters here you need stanley cups+individual awards+hockey hall of fame membership

Another guy that doesn't know what overrated means.

Tell me, how was he rated by us and how is he actually if you think he was overrated by the fanbases?

Did we say he's a superstar? Did we say he is a top center in the NHL? Did we say he is one of the best playmaker in the league?

The fanbases appreciated him because he was a warrior on the ice... and eventually of the ice aswell. He gave a lot to this team. How many time was he attacked by the media and fans for not speaking french, something Gionta never faced? He was often called worst captain in history or guys like you that pratically blame him for not achieving anything for the Habs but yet he still love the city and stayed as long as he could until Gainey boot him out and replace him with Scott ****ing Gomez.

He faced a lot of adversity on the ice, off the ice and always acted like a professional. He was a warrior every games and can even elevate his game in the playoffs. That's why fans loved him. It has nothing to do with being "overrated".

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
He means more to fans who started watching the habs from late 90s

Fans of all ages admire koivu the person and player but its the generation that started watching while he was in his prime that overrate him.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
He means more to fans who started watching the habs from late 90s

Fans of all ages admire koivu the person and player but its the generation that started watching while he was in his prime that overrate him.

Honestly, I was too young to remember that time or especially that season when he was leading the league in points before injuring his knee... Can anyone tell me how good was Koivu in that season or how good we were expecting him to be?

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Koivu's number should be retired when he hangs up his skates and I hope he retires a Hab. He should never have been allowed to leave this team. Gainey is a tool, for letting Koivu go and for bringing in crap like Gomez and Gionta instead.

For those of you saying he achieved nothing. Hush. Take a look at the team's rosters from that era and see what a dismal bunch of players he had as team mates. That was the TRUE darkest moment in this team's history and Saku Koivu was the only bright part of it.

To answer the original poster's question: To me, Saku Koivu is the last captain this squad has had. I was insulted when ****ass Gomez took the number 11 and Gionta isn't **** in comparison to Saku Koivu.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I'll probably end up regretting sharing this with you, as somebody will more than likely mock me for it.

On January 1st of this year, my son was born with complications and spent his first 25 days on Earth at the Montreal Children's Hospital. I can't explain how hard that was, but what kept me going was the jersey that hung on the wall, next to the door to my son's room. It's a Saku Koivu jersey, autographed and personalized to the staff at the hospital and every day I'd take my son to see it. He won't remember that as he grows up but it meant the world to me. I was a Habs fan before Koivu was drafted and I'll be a Koivu fan (and a Habs fan) until the day I die.

My son, after two brain surgeries in five months, is doing really well. For anybody that cares.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I liked him... but no.
I'll probably end up regretting sharing this with you, as somebody will more than likely mock me for it.

On January 1st of this year, my son was born with complications and spent his first 25 days on Earth at the Montreal Children's Hospital. I can't explain how hard that was, but what kept me going was the jersey that hung on the wall, next to the door to my son's room. It's a Saku Koivu jersey, autographed and personalized to the staff at the hospital and every day I'd take my son to see it. He won't remember that as he grows up but it meant the world to me. I was a Habs fan before Koivu was drafted and I'll be a Koivu fan (and a Habs fan) until the day I die.

My son, after two brain surgeries in five months, is doing really well. For anybody that cares.
That's all that matters man. Glad to hear that.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
^^

This is why Koivu was so loved there. He was an inspiration to many even if he's a small european guy, that doesn't speak french and playing in the toughest hockey market/city and to add to that, being the captain of the most winning and historic hockey team in the world. There's a a reason why so many of us still love and respect him even if he did not lead the cup to any championships.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad