Recalled/Assigned: Ferraro in, Abby out. Maybe.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I agree he shouldn't have said a damn word, but it's probably not the same situation.

I imagine it felt a lot different for Nyquist who knew he was basically the first call up. Meanwhile, Callahan has watched guys like Emmerton, Tootoo, and now Ferraro getting called up first.

Ya but Emmerton and Tootoo have NHL experience, so I'm not surprised they got the call first. Callahan and Ferraro are pretty much a toss up, I would have called up Callahan frst, but its not an outrage that they went the Ferraro route. Perhaps the organization believes Ferraro may have a future with the Wings and Callahan doesn't?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Ya but Emmerton and Tootoo have NHL experience, so I'm not surprised they got the call first. Callahan and Ferraro are pretty much a toss up, I would have called up Callahan frst, but its not an outrage that they went the Ferraro route. Perhaps the organization believes Ferraro may have a future with the Wings and Callahan doesn't?

Emmerton's NHL experience has been nothing but showing why he probably won't ever be a regular in the NHL.

And Tootoo, even if I like him, has no future with this team. The coach doesn't play him enough and he's just not going to be brought back. Hell, he might even get bought out.

The difference between who gets called up probably won't be reflected in the score. These guys only play a few minutes a game, especially if they aren't penalty killing. The difference does show up in what it says to that player about where he stands in the organization and it shows up in what we can expect out of that player going forward.

I think, seeing as how both he and Ferraro are out of options after this year, it was a no-brainer to call them both up to see what they had. It's not like they'd be replacing anyone in the top9, this was a 7-9 minutes a night spot.

So I agree, not an outrage, especially in terms of effect on the team. But I think it sends Callahan a pretty harsh message. And I think he got that message which is why you saw him lash out with that tweet.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
While I personally like Callahan more than Ferraro, he should not have said anything. I hate it when people use social media to take out their frustration. He's allowed to be ticked off, but he needs to keep that to himself and keep working hard, and the call up should come. Now he's somewhat giving the idea that he has a poor attitude. When the Wings sent Nyquist back to GR to start the year (dumb move) he didn't say a thing, and acted like a true professional, went down and played great hockey. Now he leads our NHL team in goals.

Same here. Stupid comment. His time will come. Just have to be patient.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
callahan also retweeted "The light at the end of the tunnel", cryptic but obvious.
Bi-omKUIIAAX1Od.jpg

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
tootoo is an established NHL player, their is absolutely zero reason he should even be in AHL for even a game so Callahan has no right to be disapointed about that move

Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan and Pulkinnen are all simply better hockey players then Mitch

Emmerton himself is somewhat of an established NHL player(to a degree) and so yes should be called up before Mitch

Now between Callahan and Ferraro its basically a coin flip though the tie breaker may go to the fact Landon was essentially(almost) a former first rd draft pick and that does carry some credence.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
This is just the hockey gods way of promoting the kids when Holland doesn't.

"You call up Emmerton and Tootoo? Fine, here's another injury so you have to call up Ferraro! PS. Callahan is next".

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
tootoo is an established NHL player, their is absolutely zero reason he should even be in AHL for even a game so Callahan has no right to be disapointed about that move

Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan and Pulkinnen are all simply better hockey players then Mitch

Emmerton himself is somewhat of an established NHL player(to a degree) and so yes should be called up before Mitch

Now between Callahan and Ferraro its basically a coin flip though the tie breaker may go to the fact Landon was essentially(almost) a former first rd draft pick and that does carry some credence.

I dont know about Emmerton and Tootoo. They have NHL experience, but neither one of them has been any good in a Wings jersey in the past. Why not try something else? Callahan has been in practice and games with these guys for the majority of the season. He probably feels he's better than them so I can see why he's frustrated.

In any case, Callahan shouldn't be whining on twitter. Thats both immature and unprofessional. Even if he deleted it, I'm damn sure the Wings have either seen or heard about it and are not impressed.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Only because Dats, Z, Helm, Abby, and Andy are out lol
Just speculation on my part, but I doubt the Kenny would have even considered giving Ferraro a look if he did not absolutely have to due to injuries. I honestly believe Babs is buying in to the youth movement. As for Kenny, im not getting the vibe he has.

But when they're healthy they have

Dats
Z
Mule
Alfie
Nyquist
Tatar
Sheahan
Legwand
Helm
Abdelkader
Andersson
Jurco
Glendening
Miller
Bertuzzi
Cleary
Pulkkinen
Emmerton
Tootoo
Samuelsson

all on the depth chart ahead of Callahan. Even if you take out the guys Callahan might be better than like Cleary, Emmerton, Sammy, etc., there's still more than 12 remaining. And clearly the Wings have Ferraro ahead of Callahan on their depth chart. So unless the Wings promised Callahan something and then went back on it, he should't have said anything. It's going to take another injury or 2 before Callahan gets a call up. Although based on how this season has gone so far that's not all that farfetched.

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
How is this team still alive in the playoff race? I really want the streak to continue, but good god there is a lot to overcome.

Let's Go Wings!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I actually feel bad for Callahan to be honest, he's been out playing Lando by quite a bit or at least has in the 17+ griffins games I've been to this year, if Abby was playing in a center role id understand this move but if I recall he's been on wing mostly so why not give Cally a look.

He has definitely out played him. The wings are so frustrating, saying you have to earn your shot and all that. Callahans having one of the better seasons for GR and Ferraro one of the more disappointing.

Sucks to go to twitter like that but its true. Callahan works his bag off and is having a grea season, Ferraro has done nothing all year really while being handed PP minutes from the get go. Its not just Ferraro but he should've got the call over Tootoo with how the play has went on the farm team.

I think Ferraro has like 3 points his last 15 games lol Callahan probably has that many in his last 2 games

LazyT

Feb 24, 2010
Michigan.
I will say I'm a little disappointed with Mitch with his comment going on twitter however I do not think he is wrong with being disappointed by being passed over for 2 lesser players arguably 3 to some extent and not even getting a look this season. Emmerton is what he is, TooToo well I was a big fan but with his play in Gr recently it seems he's almost lost interest to some extent and then Lando who has been spoon fed PP time for well what seems like no reason to be honest..

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I would rather have had Cally up, but neither of them are going to make any real difference.

Also, shame on Cally to throw his teammate under the bus with that back handed comment. If the Wings were completely healthy, he'd be battling for the 12 th forward spot on GRG.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
So Ferraro.... 4 games and not many good things to take away. Kept looking for something promising in his game, but couldn't find much. The turnovers were bad, no offensive creativity (none expected, but would have been nice), nothing about his defensive game was impressive, a bit sloppy on the forecheck. His PK game was acceptable, but nothing to write home about. My expectations were very low, but I don't feel he even met those. Should be safe waiver fodder next season.

On to Callahan I guess. Hope he learns to mature real quick.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Now I kinda hope Mitch flames out and doesn't make it in the NHL. Guy is lucky to have a job that pays him to play hockey. He should grateful he's not flipping burgers at this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah I didn't see a lot of the things he's been billed to be, but I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

If he can get stronger over the summer (most important thing), and then got some time to get used to the speed/timing of the NHL, I think he could be a useful NHL player.

But he needs a bit of work still, so odds are against him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Now I kinda hope Mitch flames out and doesn't make it in the NHL. Guy is lucky to have a job that pays him to play hockey. He should grateful he's not flipping burgers at this point.

Wait, you hope a wings prospect flames out because another prospect got sent down for him? Am I missing something? Hes also got 25 goals in GR lol not many burger flippers can do that in the second or third best league in the world

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah I didn't see a lot of the things he's been billed to be, but I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

If he can get stronger over the summer (most important thing), and then got some time to get used to the speed/timing of the NHL, I think he could be a useful NHL player.

But he needs a bit of work still, so odds are against him.

I'm definitely not giving up on Ferraro. When I tabbed him as "safe waiver fodder," what I meant was that we shouldn't be worried about him being waived and subsequently claimed next September. I don't see him as one of the 14 best forwards in the organization (even amongst players expected back next season), so I think the obvious choice next season will be to waive him. Give him more time. Give him another call-up at some point and see where he's at again. This is all assuming he doesn't blow everyone's socks off in camp and preseason, which is a possibility, to some degree. I'm not expecting it though. He's securely behind Glendening on the depth chart though, waivers or no waivers, I'm confident of that.

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Ferraro was brutally. Played soft with bad decisions and turnovers. I'm hoping it was just lack of confidence at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad