Recalled/Assigned: Ferraro in, Abby out. Maybe.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
**** it, let's call up Callahan, Grant and Frk too, and have the Griffins forwards play. Where is Toledo getting players? If we call up the Griffs, they call up the Walleye, who the hell does Toledo call up? I'm a pretty good skater, I should ask if they need bodies...

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah. This is it. The Wings will finally miss the playoffs.

It'll be nice to have a high pick though. Hopefully we can be bad enough to end the season and land a top 10 pick.

I believe were already like in 12 spot, So we would only have to fall another 2 spots to finish in to top 10 pick. The way were playing I don't see that being a problem.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Tootoo could real solid against Chicago. I think I'd rather him in than Pulkkinen at the moment.

Where did he look solid, he didn't even bring any of the energy so many of his biggest fans constantly talk about. I wasn't all that shocked he has been tanking it pretty hard in Grand Rapids and wasn't ready. Pulkkinen at least provides a weapon to one of the special teams units, Tootoo needs to be a lot more active in his six minutes or whatever he gets than he was.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
The Darren Helm situation should have never happened. When a player hurts his back lifting weights the fault lies with the training staff.

When did he hurt his back? These guys spend a minimal amount of time with the teams strength coaches during the off season. Most pro athletes spend big big bucks at elite training facilities in the off season.

Also Piet Van Zant is a trainer not a strength coach. They have very little impact on guys getting injured. They act in getting guys healthy after they get hurt.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
The Darren Helm situation should have never happened. When a player hurts his back lifting weights the fault lies with the training staff.

When a player hurts his back lifting weights, the fault is with the player or with nobody at all. Darren Helm is a professional athlete, and so knows his way around a gym better than most. Sometimes injuries come out of nowhere.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
When did he hurt his back? These guys spend a minimal amount of time with the teams strength coaches during the off season. Most pro athletes spend big big bucks at elite training facilities in the off season.

Also Piet Van Zant is a trainer not a strength coach. They have very little impact on guys getting injured. They act in getting guys healthy after they get hurt.

In terms of the question it happened after the lockout lifted under team control if I remember right. He did break his orbital bone during the lockout as well, remember that being interesting because they wanted to have their doctors see him and I don't remember how that turned out since there was supposed to be no contact.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I think I read somewhere he may have hurt it doing squats, I may be wrong though. If this is the case, I have seen very few training videos of NHL players where they actually squat with proper form. One of the clips I have seen where players were not even breaking parallel in squats and trying to use weights they could not manage was actually from the Gary Roberts training camp.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
That's what I am talking about though. The off season training happens at outside facilities as with all sports. If somebody has developed a problem from lifting it is most likely not from the Red Wings. It is like that with all sports. Only unlike football most these guys probably don't have a solid background in lifting from college. Honestly I think more than a few of them have bought into some bad training facilities because they don't know any better.

DatsyukianDekes

Feb 8, 2012
Been deleted, but thought ya'll would like...

NhVhO4n.jpg

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
There are a lot of reasons for the injuries - age, wear and tear, being the victims of dirty plays, possibly the trainers...

But one thing I haven't seen many people bring up is the team supervision of player training. Admittedly, I have no idea how hands-on teams are when it comes to training and I imagine that it varies from organization to organization, but part of me wonders if the Red Wings organization had gotten into the habit of being extremely hands-off when it comes to individual training because they've been packed with responsible veterans over the years. One has to wonder if the Red Wings have too much of a "do your own thing" policy when it comes to training that maybe needs to be overhauled during the off-season.

Anyway, just spitballing.

Don't forget the mental mindset created in the dressing room when a rash of injuries hit.

Guys look around and see everyone else sitting out with various injuries of different degrees. They all of a sudden wake up and their knee feels weird... they think well why should I play tomorrow?? everyone else is sitting out.

Just saying... when Yzerman was playing on one leg and with one eye, his teammates weren't going to the coach and saying; 'my groin is a little tight today coach, not sure I can go tonight."

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
It seems to have payed off for Ferraro!:D

Only because Dats, Z, Helm, Abby, and Andy are out lol
Just speculation on my part, but I doubt the Kenny would have even considered giving Ferraro a look if he did not absolutely have to due to injuries. I honestly believe Babs is buying in to the youth movement. As for Kenny, im not getting the vibe he has.

LazyT

Feb 24, 2010
Michigan.
I actually feel bad for Callahan to be honest, he's been out playing Lando by quite a bit or at least has in the 17+ griffins games I've been to this year, if Abby was playing in a center role id understand this move but if I recall he's been on wing mostly so why not give Cally a look.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I actually feel bad for Callahan to be honest, he's been out playing Lando by quite a bit or at least has in the 17+ griffins games I've been to this year, if Abby was playing in a center role id understand this move but if I recall he's been on wing mostly so why not give Cally a look.

I agree Callahan has been outplaying Ferraro in the majority of games this season, and on top of it he is more of a pest which would help in his NHL role if he did get the call. Mitch is not just some pest or pure grinder with little skill like Glendening though, he makes good choices on the ice and has a very underrated skill level to go with it. I could see Mitch being more useful than Abby on the wing eventually.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Im happy Ferraro might finally get a chance, would love to see Callahan get a look too. Especially if Tootoo doesnt start throwing some energy around. Honestly couldn't hurt with where we are at right now.

LazyT

Feb 24, 2010
Michigan.
I agree Callahan has been outplaying Ferraro in the majority of games this season, and on top of it he is more of a pest which would help in his NHL role if he did get the call. Mitch is not just some pest or pure grinder with little skill like Glendening though, he makes good choices on the ice and has a very underrated skill level to go with it. I could see Mitch being more useful than Abby on the wing eventually.

Exactly, I've seen these two play numerous times and I just like Callahan's game more plain and simple. He has underrated skating as far as I'm concerned as well, he hits, can muck it up infront of the net, makes heads up plays and on top of that he is willing to stand up for his teammates when called apun. Maybe I'm way off because I don't remember his game that well but I see him as a Dallas Drake/Holmstrom(net front) type of player in some sense

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
While I personally like Callahan more than Ferraro, he should not have said anything. I hate it when people use social media to take out their frustration. He's allowed to be ticked off, but he needs to keep that to himself and keep working hard, and the call up should come. Now he's somewhat giving the idea that he has a poor attitude. When the Wings sent Nyquist back to GR to start the year (dumb move) he didn't say a thing, and acted like a true professional, went down and played great hockey. Now he leads our NHL team in goals.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
While I personally like Callahan more than Ferraro, he should not have said anything. I hate it when people use social media to take out their frustration. He's allowed to be ticked off, but he needs to keep that to himself and keep working hard, and the call up should come. Now he's somewhat giving the idea that he has a poor attitude. When the Wings sent Nyquist back to GR to start the year (dumb move) he didn't say a thing, and acted like a true professional, went down and played great hockey. Now he leads our NHL team in goals.

I agree he shouldn't have said a damn word, but it's probably not the same situation.

I imagine it felt a lot different for Nyquist who knew he was basically the first call up. Meanwhile, Callahan has watched guys like Emmerton, Tootoo, and now Ferraro getting called up first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad