Post-Game Talk: Ferraro and Hudler each had fighting majors

Status
Not open for further replies.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
You typed that with confidence...you honestly believe they make the playoffs this season? What area of the team is playoff caliber? That's how I measure their chances. They have playoff caliber goaltending...that's it. I think the chances are greater they pick in the top 10 this draft than make the playoffs.
Goaltending and forwards Are fine.
What's your definition of turned around? This team will make the playoffs and lose in the 1st round to a better team that makes it to the WCF or SCF so Holland can hang his hat on that again and point to parity.
The Kings did not make the playoffs last season.

Playoffs? Insert Jim Mora video here...

4 losses in a row. 1 win would be a starting point. Have you watched these games? We are lucky to be at 3-3-1. If we were 3-3-1, but playing well, and just not getting bounces that would be another story. We flat out suck right now. We look bad against Carolina, Edmonton and Calgary. Imagine how we will look against good teams? Team is a mess. A 19 year old kid is our best player.
We beat the Bolts who made it the SCF .
And as for losing to bad teams, the Wings have always found a way to lose to weaker teams.

Let me ask you this, if dotter's point isn't one you want to accept.

Why aren't the Leafs soaring with Babcock behind the bench there?

There's nothing wrong with this coach -- yet. What's wrong is to have any kind of expectation that the Wings would be much better than .500 with a new coach and younger and mostly rebuilding team.

There is a point where you have to throw together what you do have, and see what comes out. There are no shortcuts.
Strange you Are the only one saying this. I would expect that there should be more posters seeing the whole picture.

Just watched the game.

Thought we started really well but kinda trailed off after Green was hurt.

Powerplay was excellent. Lines looked good imo, we had plenty of chances to score more goals. Just needed some extra sharpness in some situations.

Howard was great.

Larkin was our best player. All over the ice, buzzing. Made so many great little plays.

Pulkkinen and Tatar both did some good things but also are both trying to do too much. They need to simplify a bit and I think they'll become more effective.

Tough loss but there were some good things. I think if Green isn't injured we probably win.

The Flames scored as they pulled the goalie. The flames Are as desperate as us to win.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The evidence is these 7 games that have been played. That's hard evidence. Some continue to hope a 37 year old returning from surgery will raise the level of this team significantly while also hoping a 35 year old one year removed from back surgery and his production falling off a cliff will maintain a PPG pace. That's hope. After a 7 game snapshot this team neither looks or plays like a playoff contending squad. Now if some choose to wait 20-30 games before forming some kind of opinion about the team that's fine. We'll see if much changes between now and then.

My point is 7 games isn't going to prove whether Blashill can hack it as a coach, good or bad.

We don't make changes with the roster, so there are no negative consequences to holding off on "assumptions" and acknowledging a lot can change.

What did people honestly expect with a new coach after the last one was here for almost 10 years?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What did people honestly expect with a new coach after the last one was here for almost 10 years?
Going off what people said during the summer:

* Smith breaking out
* Pulkkinen becoming a star
* Mrazek winning the Vezina
* Jurco regaining confidence because of Blashill pep-talks
* No grinders in top 9
* All skill, high-octane offense, no defensive hockey

etc etc.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
how's this team even 3-3-1. :( joke

Beat a bad rebuilding Leafs team, Got badly out shot by Carolina and just barely won. Beat Tampa who was playing 3 games in 4 nights and back to back. Then lost to a bottom feeder Carolina team Edmonton and now Calgary we expected the Montreal game to be brutal and it was. This team is in serious trouble can't wait for Dats to get back and hopefully light a fire under this team. I hope that Greens Injury isn't to bad but since he missed the rest of the game after the 1st I fear it could be pretty bad.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I lost my confidence in blashill as soon as I learned that the griffins were never a possession team under him

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The problem isn't a coaching issue. It is a personnel issue. Blashill isn't out there shooting every shot into the goalie's chest, losing every board battle, handling the puck like a hand grenade and bobbling passes.

This is the exact same

**** they were pulling last season when they went from 1st in the NHL to barely making the playoffs in a two month span.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Beat a bad rebuilding Leafs team, Got badly out shot by Carolina and just barely won. Beat Tampa who was playing 3 games in 4 nights and back to back. Then lost to a bottom feeder Carolina team Edmonton and now Calgary we expected the Montreal game to be brutal and it was. This team is in serious trouble can't wait for Dats to get back and hopefully light a fire under this team. I hope that Greens Injury isn't to bad but since he missed the rest of the game after the 1st I fear it could be pretty bad.

Not true at all.

Toronto 4-0, easy win at home.
Canes, the team wants to prove something and turn it around, they outplayed us , but we found a way to win.
Bolts, the team that went to SCFs, we beat them. They played BTB.
Canes again, lost. We played BTB. You mentioned it when we got the Bolts, but not when the canes got us. How convinient?
Habs. Referees. We had the lead and handeled just fine till that questionable goal.
Oilers. Too long break after the last game, 4-5 days off will do it to you.
Cargary. We outshot them 13-8 and led 2-1. We lost Greene, they scored as they pulled the goalie.

What do I complain about?
I complain about you and the others posters who want to say you Are smart hockey guys because you can predict who won't win the cup. Off course it is 29 times easier to predict who won't win the cup, cause there is only one team winning. ITS much easier to predict who won't win it than who will win it.

Farther translated to the currant Wings situation. It is 29 times easier to predict why the Wings will fail, than why to Wings will succeeed. And it is always easier cause you can always say, I am glad I was wrong.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This is what people forget. Bab's growing pains were with an absolutely stacked roster packed to the rafters with incredibly successful veterans, who had strolled through the previous reg seasons with the oft ridiculed Dave Lewis in charge. And it wasn't until he tweaked the roster that he got the team playing his way.

Give Blashill YOung PPG+ Dats & Zata, PPG standard Shanny, Lidstrom, Lang, Schneider, Yzerman....his job becomes a whole lot easier. Not many of teh current roster makes it into that team bar the goaltenders, and then mostly as 3rd liners, bottom 3 D....

Toronto is a top 10 team in possession right now. They suck because they have very little talent and Babs obviously doesn't know those guys anywhere as well as Blashill knows the Red Wings roster. When Blashill talked about knowing how to use Kindl and Smith it was clear he was in way over his head. Excuses are getting quite impressive. First Blashill was gonna hit the ground running cause he coached 60% of the roster and knew how to put them in positions to be successful; now no one apparently knows his system!

The simplest answer is his coaching is fine for the AHL if you have NHL'ers on the roster. It results in getting grossly outshot in the NHL and being one of the absolute worst team when it comes to puck possession. He also has no idea how to coach d-men. He has a lot to learn which is fine by me. While there were people this summer claiming we were going to win the Stanley Cup, I felt pretty confident Ken Holland's retool on the fly was finally going to crater and we'd get very high draft picks.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
i don't think that is true.

Oh ****, my one source, some dude who watches griffins games and said they weren't, is maybe wrong

I wish someone would keep track of possession stats in the ahl so I could make my own conclusions

The simplest answer is his coaching is fine for the AHL if you have NHL'ers on the roster. It results in getting grossly outshot in the NHL and being one of the absolute worst team when it comes to puck possession. He also has no idea how to coach d-men. He has a lot to learn which is fine by me. While there were people this summer claiming we were going to win the Stanley Cup, I felt pretty confident Ken Holland's retool on the fly was finally going to crater and we'd get very high draft picks.

Maybe this is why Ouellet and Sproul never developed into anything more than they are today

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
The problem isn't a coaching issue. It is a personnel issue. Blashill isn't out there shooting every shot into the goalie's chest, losing every board battle, handling the puck like a hand grenade and bobbling passes.

This is the exact same

**** they were pulling last season when they went from 1st in the NHL to barely making the playoffs in a two month span.

It's not 100% on Blash or the players, both need to do a much better job on a consistent basis. The players look slow and unengaged A LOT. Of course, I'm not privy to what goes on in the locker room/practices, but Blashill has to figure out how to motivate NHL players. Holland needs to help him out by making a trade, that would probably help alleviate the complacent attitude these guys are playing with.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
honestly I dont know why all of sudden the coach is immune to criticism.

I understand some people are jumping the gun too soon but some of you are being overly protective and not looking at things straight neither.

Things haven't looked that great that's a fact. actually, you could say things looked just ugly at times. Just saying to yourself 'it's all going to be fine at the end' isn't going to fix it.

Indeed. I think the point is that 7 games with a middling roster with key players injured barely represents the beginning, let alone the end.

We're all a little concerned, by the lack of cohesion in the team's play, but its just too early to draw any real conclusions. Is it the coach out of his depth? Is it players struggling to adapt to a more offensive system? Is it the tweeners showing us that they are not ready for leadership roles? Is it the paucity of talent on D being over-exposed because of the comparative lack of leadership and maturity in the starting line-up at forward? Is it the fact that despite the kids impressing, our primary roster players didn't find consistency on pre-season?

The fact is, we just don't know what the problems are for sure, and whether they will be resolved. To me this team is only playing marginally worse than they did down the regular season stretch last year, where the team could barely buy a win. Sure they had better transitions and structure at that time, but they were just as inconsistent and lacked creativity in the opposition's D-zone.

We know this team isn't a contender...just not enough size and depth on defence. I think we'll make the play-offs. But if the season goes tit's up and its re-build time, I feel a lot happier about starting that process with the prospect depth we have. Larkin, Mantha, Svech, AA, Little Bert is a good starting point, as is DDK, Mrazek and some of the vets with the big club. We aren't going to be bad enough to get a top ten pick for multiple seasons in a row, so even in the worst case scenario of missing the Play-offs this year, this club won't become 'dead things' regardless of the hyperbole of the ignorant.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
Not true at all.

Toronto 4-0, easy win at home.
Canes, the team wants to prove something and turn it around, they outplayed us , but we found a way to win.
Bolts, the team that went to SCFs, we beat them. They played BTB.
Canes again, lost. We played BTB. You mentioned it when we got the Bolts, but not when the canes got us. How convinient?
Habs. Referees. We had the lead and handeled just fine till that questionable goal.
Oilers. Too long break after the last game, 4-5 days off will do it to you.
Cargary. We outshot them 13-8 and led 2-1. We lost Greene, they scored as they pulled the goalie.

We did not play back to back during the second canes game. We had like 3 days off. If you try to criticize someone try not to look like an idiot.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
Toronto is a top 10 team in possession right now. They suck because they have very little talent and Babs obviously doesn't know those guys anywhere as well as Blashill knows the Red Wings roster. When Blashill talked about knowing how to use Kindl and Smith it was clear he was in way over his head. Excuses are getting quite impressive. First Blashill was gonna hit the ground running cause he coached 60% of the roster and knew how to put them in positions to be successful; now no one apparently knows his system!

It's convenient you say that now [mod].

Last edited by a moderator:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Oh ****, my one source, some dude who watches griffins games and said they weren't, is maybe wrong

I wish someone would keep track of possession stats in the ahl so I could make my own conclusions

one guy has used estimates on fenwick and based on that griffins were very good 12-13 (iirc, can't find the source), same 13-14 and good to average last season.

but those stats used fenwick close (within a goal or two in the first 2 periods and tied in the 3rd). that ignores very important area of game, how one plays with a lead or trailing in the 3rd.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We did not black back to back during the second canes game. We had like 4 days off. If you try to criticize someone try not to look like an idiot.
No need to resort to namecalling. It was a back-to-back, 2nd game was against Montreal so his point still stands. Our schedule so far has done us no favors. It's not an excuse but certainly 3 back-to-backs in the first 10 games is not ideal.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The defence as designed by kh is awful

Too many soft fancy boy forwards, nobody who can or is willing to bang and crash and win ugly hockey

Till thats fixed dont blame blashill..

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't blame Holland and Ilitch for not matching or paying more to keep Babcock, but we're seeing early on that his influence was a major factor for success. I still feel the majority of the outcome is up to the players, but something is definitely off so far.

Wait a minute, so what was your thought process last March when this team was getting dummied continuously by teams? Giving up goals left and right and being outshot and out chanced. Was it that they were missing Datsyuk or that he was playing injured and not on Saint Mike?

This just in, professional hockey teams get outplayed for stretches during the season. In fact we had virtually the same record to start last season... There it was just easier to blame a different cast of characters many still remain, I guess what we are finding out is Blashill is in that cast of characters for several.

Just for a few people running the doom and gloom, Blashill first year in Indianapolis and GR started similar as the team grasped his concepts. Slow starts. We need to get it going no doubt and I still believe that we will.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Your position kind of ignores him taking Krug from a guy with no college offers into a heck of player. Plus some kid named DeKeyser from a nothing into one of the hottest undrafted players in the country....

Blashill has had success with D-man, also curious who has Babcock developed? I mean I guess you could give him Kronwall... Maybe you will go with DK though much of the talk with him was how ready he was from day 1. Probably the real guy we can give massive credit to on Babcock is Ericsson... So yeah that should popular right now.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Wait a minute, so what was your thought process last March when this team was getting dummied continuously by teams? Giving up goals left and right and being outshot and out chanced. Was it that they were missing Datsyuk or that he was playing injured and not on Saint Mike?

This just in, professional hockey teams get outplayed for stretches during the season. In fact we had virtually the same record to start last season... There it was just easier to blame a different cast of characters many still remain, I guess what we are founding out is Blashill is in that cast of characters for several.

Just for a few people running the doom and gloom, Blashill first year in Indianapolis and GR started similar as the team grasped his concepts. Slow starts. We need to get it going no doubt and I still believe that we will.

they weren't not getting outshot this badly during that stretch. they dropped from one of the best (pre-march) to roughly league average (during march).

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Indeed. I think the point is that 7 games with a middling roster with key players injured barely represents the beginning, let alone the end.

We're all a little concerned, by the lack of cohesion in the team's play, but its just too early to draw any real conclusions. Is it the coach out of his depth? Is it players struggling to adapt to a more offensive system? Is it the tweeners showing us that they are not ready for leadership roles? Is it the paucity of talent on D being over-exposed because of the comparative lack of leadership and maturity in the starting line-up at forward? Is it the fact that despite the kids impressing, our primary roster players didn't find consistency on pre-season?

The fact is, we just don't know what the problems are for sure, and whether they will be resolved. To me this team is only playing marginally worse than they did down the regular season stretch last year, where the team could barely buy a win. Sure they had better transitions and structure at that time, but they were just as inconsistent and lacked creativity in the opposition's D-zone.

We know this team isn't a contender...just not enough size and depth on defence. I think we'll make the play-offs. But if the season goes tit's up and its re-build time, I feel a lot happier about starting that process with the prospect depth we have. Larkin, Mantha, Svech, AA, Little Bert is a good starting point, as is DDK, Mrazek and some of the vets with the big club. We aren't going to be bad enough to get a top ten pick for multiple seasons in a row, so even in the worst case scenario of missing the Play-offs this year, this club won't become 'dead things' regardless of the hyperbole of the ignorant.

that's exactly my problem with pretty much every single comments here.

why try to make a conclusive statement now? I am criticizing Blashill after consecutive losses and all of sudden people are saying I think Blashill should be fired right now or somehow wont make playoff.

I am not interested in making predictions much as I dont know what's going to happen 6months later, and honestly dont care at this point. what I care is the loss. Just so you know it's kinda natural being a fan to care about the loss.

it's interesting 3-3-1 turned pretty much everyone here hockey nostradamus, with every single one saying they are right. :laugh: I didnt mean it in a way to belittle posters but just found the situation somewhat .. ridiculous. It will be interesting to see reaction in this board after tonight's game. whether it be win or loss. actually it might be more entertaining than the game itself.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I have no idea what you are talking about. The team has obviously been in transition as is evidenced but the turn over of around 70% of the roster. Before the "Blashill learning curve" was invented many thought the team was stacked up front and needed one defenceman. Unfortunately the "Blashill learning curve" has been invented because the team is among the worst in the league.

Given that Babcock has the most wins for a franchise established in 1927 I would say it is beyond ridiculous to assume he was the root of their problems and would be improved upon by Jeff "minty fresh voice" Blashill and his 2 years of minor league pro hockey experience.

However that isn't even my concern. My concern is that the Detroit Redwings are playing some of the worst hockey they have played in 30 years.

This following a 100 point season and adding a slick right handed puck moving defenceman, an ageing Conn Smythe winner, and a Calder trophy candidate.

And if they find some cohesion and stop making so many individual mistakes, they could still have a 100 point season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad