Post-Game Talk: Ferraro and Hudler each had fighting majors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Any idea of discipline action on Colborne hit on Larkin? Pretty dirty headshot from the blindside . Kronwall gets a playoff game, he should at least get some playoff games.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Wait a minute, so what was your thought process last March when this team was getting dummied continuously by teams? Giving up goals left and right and being outshot and out chanced. Was it that they were missing Datsyuk or that he was playing injured and not on Saint Mike?

This just in, professional hockey teams get outplayed for stretches during the season. In fact we had virtually the same record to start last season... There it was just easier to blame a different cast of characters many still remain, I guess what we are founding out is Blashill is in that cast of characters for several.

Just for a few people running the doom and gloom, Blashill first year in Indianapolis and GR started similar as the team grasped his concepts. Slow starts. We need to get it going no doubt and I still believe that we will.

This is true. That's not what has me concerned though. If the Wings were at .500 and had a good shot differential and possession numbers like they had last year, I wouldn't be worried at all. Problem is right now, their among last in the league in both categories.

There's still time to pull everything together, but I wouldn't like to see it drag on for much longer.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Wait a minute, so what was your thought process last March when this team was getting dummied continuously by teams? Giving up goals left and right and being outshot and out chanced. Was it that they were missing Datsyuk or that he was playing injured and not on Saint Mike?

This just in, professional hockey teams get outplayed for stretches during the season. In fact we had virtually the same record to start last season... There it was just easier to blame a different cast of characters many still remain, I guess what we are founding out is Blashill is in that cast of characters for several.

Just for a few people running the doom and gloom, Blashill first year in Indianapolis and GR started similar as the team grasped his concepts. Slow starts. We need to get it going no doubt and I still believe that we will.

Wings were 3-1-3 not 3-3-1. lost 1 game against anaheim in a very very close fashion. getzlaf scored in last minute of the game. all other games in a 4-4/shootout.

Just correcting some info.

It hasn't been great, the point was teams go through stretches like this.

We need to execute better and we need to buy in.

that's one way of looking at it certainly. however Blashill does not really have a proven NHL track record and that has gotten people worried. At the same time, if players aren't buying into the concept as you claim, half of the blame should go to the coach. I didnt know every team with new coach suffers this much and have shot attempt dead last in the league.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I think Blashill had a better D corps in the AHL, in relation to the league average. At the NHL level he has more than 1 turnover machine back there.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Just watched the game.

Thought we started really well but kinda trailed off after Green was hurt.

Powerplay was excellent. Lines looked good imo, we had plenty of chances to score more goals. Just needed some extra sharpness in some situations.

Howard was great.

Larkin was our best player. All over the ice, buzzing. Made so many great little plays.

Pulkkinen and Tatar both did some good things but also are both trying to do too much. They need to simplify a bit and I think they'll become more effective.

Tough loss but there were some good things. I think if Green isn't injured we probably win.

Mostly agree with this. Still major problems transitioning five on five, particularly with the third line and the weaker defensive pairings.

Haven't watch any games, but are we still playing puck possession hockey?

Not really! Little bursts of it...2 minute periods of 2 or 3 shifts where we look like we can toy with the opposition, but then it fizzles out badly...

Didn't quincey get injured in the 2nd for alittle bit? or was that the third?

Danny D and quincey played alright. But That kronner and E line got way too much time. and The third pair was below average. Probably got posession like 2 out of 5 times.

Smith was pretty good with Ericsson until Green got dinged...the D really started to struggle when down to 5...DDK looked really rusty still...

Last edited by a moderator:

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
IMO there is kinda no secret to it.

if we want some zone time, we can't just try to outskill the other team. 1) Wings aren't THAT skilled 2) chemistry will never reach that point

there has to be more grinding involved. or get players plugged into my xbox controller, I will show you lighting execution, perfect chemistry and will also show you what no shots against game look like :sarcasm:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wings were 3-1-3 not 3-3-1. lost 1 game against anaheim in a very very close fashion. getzlaf scored in last minute of the game. all other games in a 4-4/shootout.

Just correcting some info.

that's one way of looking at it certainly. however Blashill does not really have a proven NHL track record and that has gotten people worried. At the same time, if players aren't buying into the concept as you claim, half of the blame should go to the coach. I didnt know every team with new coach suffers this much and have shot attempt dead last in the league.

I said virtually as in 3 wins and four losses, not identical in terms of how they arrived there.

There is an adjustment period, I really don't think the genuine scoring chances are that out of whack thus far in terms of watching the games. They need to get better, they aren't alone in that when you look around the league.

I have seen this system work and I believe in it. I think the results will come, especially once they get Datsyuk back. They need to find a way through it until then right now.

I am very encouraged by the way our goalies are playing. I think once they get full understanding we will be a very good team.

We have to improve on our discipline and continue to get better in the faceoff circle though. Those things are killing us for stretches of the game right now.

I am concerned, but seven games isn't enough for me to abandon ship or think a guy who has been a hell of coach at every stop thus far is destined to fail forever. He will get this right and they will get this right, they have executed better for stretches the last two games, now it is putting it together for much longer.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Smith was pretty good with Ericsson until Green got dinged...the D really started to struggle when down to 5...DDK looked really rusty still...

DK has been pretty bad coming off that injury, wonder if he rushed back. We need more out of him. We know we have problems with the other guys, none of us are counting on DK being a problem and he really has been one through his first three games unfortunately.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I said virtually as in 3 wins and four losses, not identical in terms of how they arrived there.

There is an adjustment period, I really don't think the genuine scoring chances are that out of whack thus far in terms of watching the games. They need to get better, they aren't alone in that when you look around the league.

I have seen this system work and I believe in it. I think the results will come, especially once they get Datsyuk back. They need to find a way through it until then right now.

I am very encouraged by the way our goalies are playing. I think once they get full understanding we will be a very good team.

We have to improve on our discipline and continue to get better in the faceoff circle though. Those things are killing us for stretches of the game right now.

I am concerned, but seven games isn't enough for me to abandon ship or think a guy who has been a hell of coach at every stop thus far is destined to fail forever. He will get this right and they will get this right, they have executed better for stretches the last two games, now it is putting it together for much longer.

well, I am not interested a month from now when Datsyuk is back. I'm interested how to fix the game NOW as in tonight's game against vancouver canucks because 2 very important points are riding on this.

I'm glad you have alot of faith in the system, and 7 games didnt make you jump the ship. Although nobody who knows you would be surprised by it, and you would prolly defend the coach even if Wings miss the playoff :laugh: Anyhow, so if you do have some idea how it should work, please let us know what should be done so that Wings can win tonight?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
well, I am not interested a month from now when Datsyuk is back. I'm interested how to fix the game NOW as in tonight's game against vancouver canucks because 2 very important points are riding on this.

I'm glad you have alot of faith in the system, and 7 games didnt make you jump the ship. Although nobody who knows you would be surprised by it, and you would prolly defend the coach even if Wings miss the playoff :laugh: Anyhow, so if you do have some idea how it should work, please let us know what should be done so that Wings can win tonight?

They need to execute better, stay out of the box and pass the puck a lot better.

They need more from the secondary players and they need DK to be the stabilizing guy on the second pairing that we expect. Play with better speed and support. Trust the guys around them to do their assignment and play with speed and motion in all three zones. Also they need to ideally be above 50% in the faceoff circle so they are not chasing the puck as much.

They have done a good job of limiting chances to the outside in the zone keeping legitimate scoring chances down. Hopefully that continues.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I know I'm in the minority here but I think our issues are more with the forwards than the defense. We've got two lines that are practically assured of turning the puck over without so much as a shot. We've got one energy line that has never been relied on for offense. And one top line that is clicking.

No defense is going to look good when they get the puck up to the forwards to break out and then they'd better hurry and change because you know that puck is coming right back in.

I know Blashill's strategy is to get the defense to participate in the other zone. We know that's going to give up an odd man rush or two... but dipsy-doodling forwards turning the puck over while everyone's skating the wrong way? Not a recipe for success.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Toronto is a top 10 team in possession right now. They suck because they have very little talent and Babs obviously doesn't know those guys anywhere as well as Blashill knows the Red Wings roster. When Blashill talked about knowing how to use Kindl and Smith it was clear he was in way over his head. Excuses are getting quite impressive. First Blashill was gonna hit the ground running cause he coached 60% of the roster and knew how to put them in positions to be successful; now no one apparently knows his system!

The simplest answer is his coaching is fine for the AHL if you have NHL'ers on the roster. It results in getting grossly outshot in the NHL and being one of the absolute worst team when it comes to puck possession. He also has no idea how to coach d-men. He has a lot to learn which is fine by me. While there were people this summer claiming we were going to win the Stanley Cup, I felt pretty confident Ken Holland's retool on the fly was finally going to crater and we'd get very high draft picks.

Anyone claiming we were anything but outsiders for the SC clearly didn't watch any of the 2nd half of last season! You suggest I am making excuses, but equally want to make definitive judgements regarding an entire coaching career and a team's prospects based on 7 games at .500 with the team's best player missing. No-one is denying there are concerns, but trying to say the coach can't succeed by citing the immediate success of the former more experienced (at the time) coach with a vastly superior roster (compare the blue lines!).

Blashill made some changes last night that yielded results early on, but then struggled to manage the 5d situation...and starring andersson over Jurco was a mistake I feel. The thing is, if either that shot in the first or the one in the second that hit the pipes went in (long before they had one in the 3rd), we win and everyone relaxes....

I still think we'll finish at over .500 -the question is how much over.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I know I'm in the minority here but I think our issues are more with the forwards than the defense. We've got two lines that are practically assured of turning the puck over without so much as a shot. We've got one energy line that has never been relied on for offense. And one top line that is clicking.

No defense is going to look good when they get the puck up to the forwards to break out and then they'd better hurry and change because you know that puck is coming right back in.

I know Blashill's strategy is to get the defense to participate in the other zone. We know that's going to give up an odd man rush or two... but dipsy-doodling forwards turning the puck over while everyone's skating the wrong way? Not a recipe for success.

I think that's part of it. alot of teams, when breaking out, pass the puck to forwards or someone who can navigate through neutral zone traffic reliably, get to blue line, dump in. have grinders go win it, have zone time

what we are missing is the grinders who can reliably win the puck. Wings did decent job but when the heat was one, but we lost some crucial board battles and it wasnt really for lack of trying. Wings are retreating back to neutral zone and blue line because they are kinda getting killed along the board in other team's zone. There were some spurts of winning those battle but at the end, grinders win those battle and that's really how you keep the puck .

If Wings are not going to rely on grinders, then it's no brainer that we need more/different support system around the puck in O zone. Wings are a skilled team but can't really utilize skill because so far in this season, they have no where else to go and can't escape from the pressure. Wings need an outlet system from incoming pressure. IMO Wings need at least 2 passing/dumping options available in O zone AT ALL TIME to utilize their skill effectively. that's going to make defenders back off even more and get the ice tilited in our favour.

Last game in PP, I was about to say we need far side winger to be more active because our puck doesn't have enough support during PP and easily get isolated. we can't have a guy sitting on his ass doing nothing when there is a helpless player with the puck at halfboard.

Another solution to not to hold on to the puck and pass it quickly before the pressure sets in. It's not like there is no support/passing system in place now and if they hold on to puck too long, they have rendered it useless and dumbing it down to boardbattle level which Wings dont excel at. Wings are most dangerous when they are bringing the pace up and passing the puck quickly. Unless they are Z or Dats or maybe Nyquist Tatar, they should not be holding on to it but pass it to relieve pressure around the puck. so that Wings are always playing to their strength. I believe Wings have that much talent in their lineup.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014

That's because of our defense... You need defensemen who can give the puck to the forwards in a good situation that gives them an opportunity to cleanly enter the offensive zone and set up. Not only that but having D that can create odd man rushes or at minimum solid situations allows the forwards to get into the flow of the game. Right now our game consists of crap desperate plays up the boards by our defensemen and our forwards having very little chance to make anything happen which results in the puck going right back into our zone. Rinse and repeat over and over. By the time our forwards do have a chance to setup they have no rythem going. To be a good hockey team you have to be able to find rythem, that's when things start clicking and your able to dial in all the details and play your best as a team. That's nearly impossible for our club due to our D.

Good offense starts on the back end.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
IMO there is kinda no secret to it.

if we want some zone time, we can't just try to outskill the other team. 1) Wings aren't THAT skilled 2) chemistry will never reach that point

there has to be more grinding involved.

Entirely agree with this. Too many forwards not working hard enough in ugly areas at the mo, thus putting too much workload on others.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Entirely agree with this. Too many forwards not working hard enough in ugly areas at the mo, thus putting too much workload on others.

yes if we want a quick fix for tonight, that would be my solution

however, as I said in my comment afterwards to SoupGuru, that's not really playing to our strength. and prolly wont be the solution for long haul this season. Even if we try that, alot of injuries would occur towards the end of the season. which was the only prblem I had with Babcock's system.

I think slight tweak in support system and faster pace by passing it around quicker is long term solution at least for this season. well maybe accept our 4th line because they are just fine grinding it out right now. but if pass gets intercepted, it's not going to work and might require some practice to determine when would be 'too close to pressure'. Also would love to see more behind the net play, if there is one area on ice wings size dont matter and that is behind the net. Not as in behind the net board battle but a puck carrier willingly skate behind the net.

actually thinking about it now, it will help a guy like Smith entirely. Smith always had some cool ideas. it's just that he flat out misjudge opponents pressure set in time.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Technically 13-14 we had a losing record on the entire season (if we're disregarding types of losses)

Ah yes, that was quite the doozy from Ken Holland. Z and Datsyuk were injured and all the "depth" Holland signed - Tootoo, Eaves, Cleary, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi - along with Cory Emmerton, did absolutely nothing. Holland was forced to stop over-ripening Nyquist, Sheahan and Jurco in order to keep the playoff streak alive.

Holland loves his "depth". :naughty:

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Had a bigger problem with Bennett on Quincey.

I don't know how this one avoids any attention, it was a blindside hit to the head of a player that didn't even have the puck. It was even at an angle that would make him more susceptible to suffering a concussion.

That ****head Bennett should definitely be suspended. Embarrassing how no one on the team responded either, and Quincey had to do it himself.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Does anyone know what the Wings record is in the post-Lidstrom era with Datsyuk out of the lineup?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Does anyone know what the Wings record is in the post-Lidstrom era with Datsyuk out of the lineup?

57900157.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad