Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Quincey out, Marchenko in.

Richards on IR.

Green a game time decision.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
My takeaway from this is going AHL to NHL is much different. The guys Blash had in GR were easily the best and he could kind of run whatever he wanted. He now needs to adjust to a bigger faster game that has better cycling and better players. Will he? We'll see. I'll give him 20-30 games. If not then maybe something can be done.

Also, I felt the neutral zone was clogged in the first few games and we went flying back the other way. Other teams now know we are small and not physical and just dump it in and start a cycle. Anyone else notice that?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
My takeaway from this is going AHL to NHL is much different. The guys Blash had in GR were easily the best and he could kind of run whatever he wanted. He now needs to adjust to a bigger faster game that has better cycling and better players. Will he? We'll see. I'll give him 20-30 games. If not then maybe something can be done.

Also, I felt the neutral zone was clogged in the first few games and we went flying back the other way. Other teams now know we are small and not physical and just dump it in and start a cycle. Anyone else notice that?

i think other teams have known wings are small and not physical for about a decade.

they've had tough time breaking up other team from cycling among other issues, save for 2 games this season.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
That's not the point. The poit is that you and your body Are Debbie Downers delux.

The only thing I am negative about is blashill. I will continue to dislike him until he proves he's running an NHL team and not a clown fiesta.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
i think other teams have known wings are small and not physical for about a decade.

they've had tough time breaking up other team from cycling among other issues, save for 2 games this season.

hence the solution is to upping possession time

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
My major issue is its clear we are flying the zone a lot, looking for the long bomb and also having the d-men jump at every opportunity to either pinch, join the rush or lug the puck and initiate the rush. We don't have the speed at forward or the speed and skill on defense to play this way. Chicago can do this. Tampa can do this. We can't. I know we've gotten a bit younger, and adding Larkin does add an element of speed but we are not a very fast team up front...at least not as fast as some on this board think we are. A lot of average to below average skaters with a few good skaters and a couple great ones. Spreading teams out and looking for bombs without great speed at forward and excellent passing d-men is an exercise in futility...and what we see now is no puck support, no cycle and an awful forecheck which has resulted in low possession, low shot totals and most importantly a lack of real scoring chances. It's a combination of mediocre personnel and poor strategy.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
I'm ready for a rebuild. This team isn't making the playoffs. New barn, hopefully a new (and proven) coach after Blashill bombs this season, new youth and hopefully some new skill of defense. Babcock held this thing together with wire and duct tape for the last few years...time to turn the page and do this thing right.

Aw, crap, Torts is taken :sarcasm:

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
We all have the memories of a goldfish. Wasn't it the year before the Wings couldn't win more than 2 games in a row?
Again, it's the way the Wings are PLAYING, not necessarily the W/L record. The Wings have had poor stretches under both Babcock and Bowman but not to the extent of being dominated and severely out-played like this.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Again, it's the way the Wings are PLAYING, not necessarily the W/L record. The Wings have had poor stretches under both Babcock and Bowman but not to the extent of being dominated and severely out-played like this.

Really? I remember stretches I didn't think they'd score another goal.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Really? I remember stretches I didn't think they'd score another goal.
It's not just about goal scoring...it's about territorial play, chances. They look awful in every aspect aside from goaltending.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's not just about goal scoring...it's about territorial play, chances. They look awful in every aspect aside from goaltending.

That's what I'm talking about. I distinctly remember the Wings loading up on perimeter shots without getting any significant chances. They'd lose games despite solid "possession" numbers because the other team was penetrating to the crease, while the Wings would fire one off from the half-boards, hope for a bounce, and peel back into the neutral zone looking for a turnover.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
We all have the memories of a goldfish. Wasn't it the year before the Wings couldn't win more than 2 games in a row?

let's not use the world 'all' there. my memory certainly goes more than few minute :sarcasm:

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Lol they look exactly the same they did all of last year when we had bad patches. This is nothing new, and if you think it is, you're seriously using that Blashill-hate bias to cloud your vision.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
This was a game for all the guys who think hitting and grit isn't important.

One of the most significant hits against the Wings was arguably illegal albeit not whistled, but the result is the same: two defensemen down! And besides maybe Ferarro, nobody on the Wings had enough grit to defend their teammates with anything besides harsh words.

Did any of the aforementioned guys who don't value hitting learn anything there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad