Friedman: Ferland Could be Moved, Canes Have been called on Hamilton

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Both Cunstance and Friedman have now linked the Penguins and Ferland, that's interesting. I'm not sure if it's a "it makes sense for the Penguins to look at him" comment, but I think it's noteworthy that multiple guys have linked the two. I can definitely see the fit, especially considering his cap hit, but I'm somewhat concerned about what he'd cost in a trade. I wouldn't want to go higher than a 2nd and a prospect for Ferland, but I bet other teams would go higher.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Duchene for Hamilton. I know Carolina will think this is sketchy because Duchene will be UFA but you guys have TONES of cap space, so offering him an appropriate contract will not be an issue and on top of that you guys are trending up wards. With some extra offense (brought by Duchene) you guys could be in the playoffs. Hamilton fits out low salary, 0 bonus structure for our cheap owner and we get much needed help on D

If Duchene agreed to an immediate extension then sure. Otherwise zero chance. I doubt Duchene wants to sign in Carolina.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Both Cunstance and Friedman have now linked the Penguins and Ferland, that's interesting. I'm not sure if it's a "it makes sense for the Penguins to look at him" comment, but I think it's noteworthy that multiple guys have linked the two. I can definitely see the fit, especially considering his cap hit, but I'm somewhat concerned about what he'd cost in a trade. I wouldn't want to go higher than a 2nd and a prospect for Ferland, but I bet other teams would go higher.

Penguins 2nd is basically a 3rd and they don’t have any enticing prospects.

Ferland would look great with Crosby/Malkin. The 1st has to be there though.

Reactions: SvechNecas

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins 2nd is basically a 3rd and they don’t have any enticing prospects.

Ferland would look great with Crosby/Malkin. The 1st has to be there though.

I think you're overvaluing what Ferland would bring back in a trade. 45 point middle-6 wingers don't bring back 1st rounders as rentals unless the market has extremely high prices. The best case scenario I see with him is 2 2nds or a 2nd and a prospect equivalent to a 2nd, but I'd be shocked if anyone gave up a 1st for Ferland. He's just not good enough.

For a comparison, Pat Maroon had 14 goals and 30 points in 57 games last season with Edmonton, and then was traded to New Jersey for a 3rd and and a mediocre prospect.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think you're overvaluing what Ferland would bring back in a trade. 45 point middle-6 wingers don't bring back 1st rounders as rentals unless the market has extremely high prices. The best case scenario I see with him is 2 2nds or a 2nd and a prospect equivalent to a 2nd, but I'd be shocked if anyone gave up a 1st for Ferland. He's just not good enough.

For a comparison, Pat Maroon had 14 goals and 30 points in 57 games last season with Edmonton, and then was traded to New Jersey for a 3rd and and a mediocre prospect.

Ferland already has 12 goals in 35 games. He could hit 20 by the deadline. Patrick Eaves and Evander Kane both as ~20 goal scoring UFAs ended up getting 1sts.

Ferland has a few things going for him. 1) $1.75 million Cap hit. Anyone can add him 2) Highly physical play style. He is in everyone’s face ever shift. 3) Which is perfect for the Playoffs and a talent he has already demonstrated with personal Playoff success.

He’s looked great with the Canes this year so any team scouting him is likely to have noticed. Honestly if the best offer was a late 2nd I’d prefer the Canes just keep him and pray he re-signs.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The supply will have to thin out for Ferland to get a premium return. There are too many higher quality rentals ahead of him at this point (Stone, Duchene, Staal, Hayes, Edler.)

Ferland is on pace for 28 goals and can skate. At 27, a team re-signing him may be able to squeeze out a couple quality years before he declines. His competition, Simmonds, is in his 30s. There's some potential future value there.

Expecting a 2nd as a base piece for now.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The supply will have to thin out for Ferland to get a premium return. There are too many higher quality rentals ahead of him at this point (Stone, Duchene, Staal, Hayes, Edler.)

Ferland is on pace for 28 goals and can skate. At 27, a team re-signing him may be able to squeeze out a couple quality years before he declines. His competition, Simmonds, is in his 30s. There's some potential future value there.

Expecting a 2nd as a base piece for now.
dam good post. Wouldn't shock me to see him get a late 1st (depending on his production up to the DL), but a 2nd+good prospect is nice too.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
From Pro Hockey Rumours

Friedman claims that the two teams are talking extension, but if one is not in place by the trade deadline, Ferland will certainly be moved. The two-way left wing would be a highly valued asset on the rental market and Carolina would not hesitate to get what they can in a trade. Ferland, who has found a fit with Carolina, may not even rule out returning to the team in free agency, even if they can’t come to terms on a new contract this year. The only question remaining is how soon the Hurricanes would be willing to move Ferland if a deal is not coming together.

——————

So Canes could trade him and sign him back in the offseason potentially. Report makes it sound like Ferland enjoys Carolina so far. If the money is there he hopefully returns

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I'd take Ferland back in Calgary as a rental if the price is right.

Already has chemistry with players on the team and he steps his game up in the playoffs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ferland already has 12 goals in 35 games. He could hit 20 by the deadline. Patrick Eaves and Evander Kane both as ~20 goal scoring UFAs ended up getting 1sts.

Ferland has a few things going for him. 1) $1.75 million Cap hit. Anyone can add him 2) Highly physical play style. He is in everyone’s face ever shift. 3) Which is perfect for the Playoffs and a talent he has already demonstrated with personal Playoff success.

He’s looked great with the Canes this year so any team scouting him is likely to have noticed. Honestly if the best offer was a late 2nd I’d prefer the Canes just keep him and pray he re-signs.

Ferland doesn't have near the track record of Kane, I don't think that comparison works at all. And along with that, both of those guys brought back conditional 2nds that could turn into 1sts, they weren't traded straight up for 1sts. I could possibly see Ferland bringing back a conditional 1st, but there's no way he'll bring back a 1st straight across unless the market prices are super high this off-season.

I think he'll bring back basically the same return that Dzingel will bring back, I think it will be a 2nd and a decent prospect. That pick may be a conditional 1st, but I think it's more likely to just be a straight up 2nd. Ferland is closer to the Grabner caliber of value than the Kane caliber of value.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Id give a 2nd and either ZAR or Simon for him. We don't need both of those guys once we add Ferland anyway.

Guentzel Crosby Rust - This is working, leave it along
Ferland Malkin Hornqvist - When you give Malkin two guys like that he has gone God mode in the past. Think Fedotenko/Talbot, Hagelin/Hornqvist last season.
Pearson Brassard Kessel - This is a 1st or 2nd line on any other team
ZAR/Simon - Cullen - Sheahan - Smart, responsible, hard working 4th line that will chip in dirty goals

The above F group looks real real nice.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
That's just their reflexive muscle memory. Even though Ferland wasn't brought in by JR, they seemingly always link his interest to Canes players.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I agree completely other than I think Ferland is better than a decent winger and more importantly he’s exactly the type of winger we needed.

If we lose Ferland this trade becomes epic level bad. Set a franchise back bad. If we resigned Ferland, signed Fox and either keep Dougie or trade him for a very good forward we’ve done well enough.

I'm not sure I agree with this totally. I want to re-sign Ferland and would pay more per year to keep the term to 4 years (I might hold my nose for 5). I love what he brings. But he plays a physical power forward game and that game takes its toll (as his concussion history demonstrates). Yet if the team got a good pick and a good young player/prospect (think Dallas and Jason Robertson, for example) plus was able to sign Fox, then the return would still be fine, IMO. And the broader trade would still be solid (Hamilton, 1st or 2nd rounder, Robertson, and Fox). Sure it tilts toward futures, but assets are assets and those are valuable ones that can be used to bring in other players, it's just a matter of whether our front office is competent enough to do so.

The news story for Friedman and Custance is that the demand is high and Carolina has an extra top-4 RHD so something actually might get done.

To me, the news story is that Ferland and the Canes are far apart on terms of an extension.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013

Who does he play with on the pens? If they can sell him and get a 2nd plus a 6th id do it.

member 290103

If this was all about Hamilton, why was Faulk available for Saad in the Summer? Why was Pesce available for Nylander in the Fall?

Cuz maybe they just traded for Hamilton? Took them 1/2 a season to figure out he's an ass clown, now he's being shopped. Thanks for making my point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad