Ference to have season-ending hip surgery.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Career ending.

And I don't say that in a way to be a jerk, an awesome guy who had a solid NHL career but I can't imagine he comes back from it. All the best Andrew.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
What are the cap implications for this? Isnt he LTIR? Wouldnt this mean no buy out required next year?

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
What are the cap implications for this? Isnt he LTIR? Wouldnt this mean no buy out required next year?

Here's what I found
...And most importantly, a player on LTIR does not generate any extra cap room for the team. He does not come off the books, and will be factored into the calculations of the year-end salary cap of the team.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

He's still on the payroll next year unless he goes the 'Pronger' way out, IE LTIR for the rest of his career, then takes a front office job with the Oilers.

He gets paid and gets saved the embarrassment of being bought out, the Oilers get the roster spot. Win-win.

I'm absolutely certain there are some kind of cap savings involved with LTIR too.

Found this article snippet on Horton, a similar situation:

As we explained, the LTIR contract is not added on top of any additional cap space the team has. If the Leafs have $3 million in cap space, they don’t have $8.3 million in space once Horton goes on LTIR. They are, however, allowed to exceed the cap by up to $2.3 million in that case. That is why, at the start of next season, the team would have two options to maximize the space availed by Horton’s LTIR status: One is to be right up against the cap (as tight as possible) with Horton on the roster, before placing him LTIR on day one of the season. Or, they can place him on LTIR before the first day of the season and build a roster that’s over the cap by as close to $5.3 million as possible to maximize their space.

Read more at: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015...jury-reserve-as-it-pertains-to-nathan-horton/

So technically no, we don't gain any space, but in a different way, we do, because we'd be able to exceed the upper limit of the cap.

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
Career ending.

And I don't say that in a way to be a jerk, an awesome guy who had a solid NHL career but I can't imagine he comes back from it. All the best Andrew.

Ya, I feel really bad for him. Whatever the hip problem it might explain why his play looked pretty sketchy before he was put on LTIR. At 36 years old I can't see him ever making it back on the ice with this injury.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
I wonder if this is a 'real' injury or something that may be a lingering thing (i.e. wear and tear) that they can use to justify putting him on LTIR? Like Chaotic said, he gets paid, doesn't have to be bought out, and we get a roster spot.

I'm not suggesting they're making anything up, rather taking something that is a problem but then leveraging it to everyone's advantage?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
He's still on the payroll next year unless he goes the 'Pronger' way out, IE LTIR for the rest of his career, then takes a front office job with the Oilers.

He gets paid and gets saved the embarrassment of being bought out, the Oilers get the roster spot. Win-win.

I'm absolutely certain there are some kind of cap savings involved with LTIR too.

Found this article snippet on Horton, a similar situation:

As we explained, the LTIR contract is not added on top of any additional cap space the team has. If the Leafs have $3 million in cap space, they don’t have $8.3 million in space once Horton goes on LTIR. They are, however, allowed to exceed the cap by up to $2.3 million in that case. That is why, at the start of next season, the team would have two options to maximize the space availed by Horton’s LTIR status: One is to be right up against the cap (as tight as possible) with Horton on the roster, before placing him LTIR on day one of the season. Or, they can place him on LTIR before the first day of the season and build a roster that’s over the cap by as close to $5.3 million as possible to maximize their space.

Read more at: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015...jury-reserve-as-it-pertains-to-nathan-horton/

So technically no, we don't gain any space, but in a different way, we do, because we'd be able to exceed the upper limit of the cap.

Good stuff. Sounds like Ference will take the Pronger route. Saves faces for both him and the organization.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Just have to cheat like the Kings and smuggle a pain killer pill into his luggage.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Hopefully he can come out of surgery healthy and live a great, full life. Hip injuries can really be a pain later in life.

These things happen though, no matter how much you train and keep in shape, the human body can only last so long.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Season ending injury could actually potentially be bad for the Oilers. If he's still injured come offseason they wont be able to buy him out. And of course the easy answer to that is 'well he can just spend all of next year on LTIR". But he actually needs to be hurt for that. If he recovers, we'll need to keep him on the roster again.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Season ending injury could actually potentially be bad for the Oilers. If he's still injured come offseason they wont be able to buy him out. And of course the easy answer to that is 'well he can just spend all of next year on LTIR". But he actually needs to be hurt for that. If he recovers, we'll need to keep him on the roster again.

Yep. Almost like Ference had advice from his agent to push this as long as they could. The only real wild card is if we have someone opt for arbitration, then that second late window would open.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
hip hip hooray?

sorry

maybe overtraining isn't always such a great idea..

HAH. I laughed.

And I'm going to give you credit where it's due, you've been calling him out for improperly training for the NHL game for years now. Looks like you were right.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I don't think that's how it works. Every season, teams have to put their players on the LTIR at the start of the season. When the season expires, injured players are taken off the LTIR. I remember Philly going through this constantly with Rathje. It also puts the sacrifice of a contract like Horton's for Toronto. That contract gets buried on LTIR, but the consequence is that every offseason Toronto has less flexibility because Horton's deal gets activated.

The only thing I'm not 100% on is whether the buyout window is after players get taken off LTIR. Even then, we have some RFAs. You can create a new buyout window like what we did with Schultz last summer. You could buy out the injured player then.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
images

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
HAH. I laughed.

And I'm going to give you credit where it's due, you've been calling him out for improperly training for the NHL game for years now. Looks like you were right.

Um, what evidence is there linking being fit to this hip injury. If that were the case Jaromir Jagr would be dead by now. Or Chris Chelios. The guy used to slog away on a bike in a sauna while drinking jugs of water.

EDIT: Nevermind, don't even bother answering. Or do. Whatever you feel like. Might be funny to see HF Boards fitness tips (TM). Can make a book out of it. Sort of like grumpy cat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad