Ference Suspended 3 games - Twitter

McDeathbyCheerios*

so we call up the leader in - for the barons eh? Seems about par for the oilers. Aulie is horrible.

We called him up to sit in the press box. Better him then a guy we want playing

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
With Nikitin Back, Ference out, Klef and Marincin up I finally get to see the D core I wanted from the start

Marincin, Fayne, Petry, Nikitin, Schultz, Klefbom

Our hopefully legitimate top 6 Defenceman, No seniority because of captain or "giving a guy his chance"

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Ulanov. I miss him.

Ulanov once had to be forced off the ice by officials at Madison Square Garden after taking a slapper in the mouth because he wanted to wait until the end of the period for repairs—he ended up needing 30 stitches. Uli was wicked tough. When I asked him what the hell he was thinking, he seemed offended.

“What?†he scowled. “It’s blood on my face. My leg is not broken.†My guess is Joni and Igor would’ve had issues.
http://onlyoil.blogspot.ca/2008/03/chris-pronger-aka-double-standard.html

Ulanov had some of the best open ice hits that i miss a lot as well

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
life without our captain for 3 games should be interesting, i suspect we will have less gaffes in our own end and take less stupid penalties.

Eirhead*

It's only Ference, he's been our worst d-man on quite a few of the nights already. I think it'll be good to have a 3 game look at the d-corp without him.

Smart Dunsparce*

Live by the sword, die by the sword.
I will never wish anything bad on a player... But a player who plays Kassians ***** style of game, will result in plays like this against him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Oh well. Just by the way the live commentary was selling it as terrible hit you could tell Ference was going to get games. Not sure who it was, but one announcer was just going on and on about how it had to be worse than the Burrows hit for sure. And then Canucks fans parrot that stuff wherever they go.

In today's NHL that is definitely a suspendable hit. I don't mind at all that Ference is taking a seat for three games - like I said in another thread, watching Kassians head bounce across the ice was one of the highlights of the season for me so far. What will piss me off is if Ference comes back and goes straight back to playing crap hockey and rarely delivering that kind of hit. If he even brought that component to the team, I'd be a lot less hard on him for his deficiencies in other areas.

He's probably going to have to man up against Kassian before the season is over too. We all know that Kassian is going to be looking for it.

What like how he manned up to Gazdic? If he jumps Ference we should have no issues sending Gazdic out to jump and thrash him.

But just to confirm, it is OK to say that you weren't utterly gutted by the hit, since its an event that already took place and we aren't wishing ill on anyone, right?

One Canuck fan posted up on the main board that the Oilers have turned Edmonton into Lord of the Flies - based on our lack of compassion for poor Mr Kassian. I honestly haven't seen any Oiler fan post that they wish extra, added harm to Kassian over and above the egg scrambler Ference laid on him last night.

I also think its funny that seventy percent of this board hated Gagner and many posted that "getting rid of Gagner is addition by subtraction". Strange then that so many Oiler fans aren't lining up to thank Kassian - once again, albeit this time as the "victim", Kassian has helped the Oilers fans out by giving a whipping boy a seat.

Gagner wore an Oilers jersey at the time so while I for one wanted him gone I did not want to see him hurt by a BS play like what we saw from Kassian. I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't want blood a little more if he did that to a core guy, but nevertheless he did that to an Oiler and even though Sam is no longer a part of the team, I still want to see Kassian answer for that crap.

And no you don't have to mourn poor Kassian getting hit like that, just that saying stuff like I wished that it would've concussed him/hurt him worse, etc. is not cool by HF board standards.

Personally I'm not wishing injury upon him, just saying that if an injury were to happen to him... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just wanted it known that we were going down a slippery slope so no worries as long as everyone heeds my warning.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Well worth it. Good job Andy.

Disagree.

There was a nice opportunity to drive that greasepot into next week...and Ference took it...which I like...but...Ference didn't have to go up so obviously targeting the head. He could have made a huge check simply by going into the body/chest of Kassian and probably done some damage all the same.

Contrary to popular consensus...I think Ference is an every game necessity in this line up and this team needs to learn how to be smart about picking spots on the opposition.

Its nice to see that fire...but...in todays NHL...it has to be very calculated.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Not surprised whatsoever at the 3 games, but it's laughable to me that Hrudey said it was worse than the Burrows hit, which was probably 2 seconds after the puck was gone.

I think Ference lined him up good, but would have expected more of "that's a good hockey hit", as it came just after Kassian played the puck. I'm also not convinced Ference targeted the head - if he wanted to "Scott Stevens" Kassian, Kassian would have been concussed (especially given how loose his chin strap is).

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think we just should just hire some decoys next time Kassian decides to go hunting.

Stuff somebody into a 93 or 14 jersey and send em out there in 1st period and see what **** happens.

Then send the real McCoys out later..

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think we just should just hire some decoys next time Kassian decides to go hunting.

Stuff somebody into a 93 or 14 jersey and send em out there in 1st period and see what **** happens.

Then send the real McCoys out later..

I didn't even notice Kassian until Ference cleaned his clock. He wasn't effective in that game at all.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I didn't even notice Kassian until Ference cleaned his clock. He wasn't effective in that game at all.

He's an instigator. So apparently he did something. To some effect.

Much as I don't like Ference were probably worse without him.

This kind of retribution stuff is just reinforcing for Kassian. He knows he gets our goat and will just entice him to pull more ****.

Its not like the guy is going to forget what he's doing in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad