Fellow Flyers' fans- what is your favorite Big E (Lindros) moment

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
So many great ones to name

-All his great fights
-His dominance in the '97 playoffs
-his great speech after winning the hart trophy

-name one moment of his, or several moments, during his Flyers' playing career that you loved

I can't decide on one specific moment for the time being, since he had so many great ones, but maybe my memory will come to me. The Hart Trophy speech comes to mind, but on the ice, it's a great discussion.

Reactions: wanderer34

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I can't decide between two:

- The day the Flyers traded for him
- The day the Flyers traded him away

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
one moment is kinda hard but I will never forget a game in 96/97 when we put up 9 against Montreal and everyone on the Legion of Doom had at least 1...looking up the stats; Leclair 4g 1a +5, Lindros 1g 4a +5, Renberg 1g 4a +6

it wasn't even that they scored so many, it was the fact that it appeared effortless, the way the line gelled/played

I was in awe

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Lindros' overall dominance but especially in that series vs the Rangers up against Messier in 97.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
one moment is kinda hard but I will never forget a game in 96/97 when we put up 9 against Montreal and everyone on the Legion of Doom had at least 1...looking up the stats; Leclair 4g 1a +5, Lindros 1g 4a +5, Renberg 1g 4a +6

it wasn't even that they scored so many, it was the fact that it appeared effortless, the way the line gelled/played

I was in awe

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199702060PHI.html

You're right. It was in February of '97 at the CoreStates Center. 5 points for Lindros, insane.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
Lindros' overall dominance but especially in that series vs the Rangers up against Messier in 97.

Yeah, he was amazing that series. He had 9 points in those 5 games. They averaged 4 goals a game. It was pretty amazing. NY had a really good team, too- Messier, Gretzky, Leetch and Richter.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
One of the most memorable, since I was in attendance, but not my favourite... The murder of Andreas Dackell by the coward Eric Lindros:

It felt like the whole arena shook from that hit. Unfortunately, one of the few times I've seen the Flyers lose live, though.

Also Ottawa related and because I was there, his 1G, 5A game in a 8-5 win in 1997 was probably my favourite live memory from watching Eric play for the Flyers. Legion of Doom dominance that night.

Side note: I believe this is the same game that Alex Daigle scored from his own side of centre because the puck hit a linesman at the Flyers' blueline and deflected into the Flyers' net, as Garth Snow was heading behind the net to knock the puck down.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Honestly..i think it is his second ever goal...first at home i believe..stealing the puck from the Devil's player and going in to score

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
One of the most memorable, since I was in attendance, but not my favourite... The murder of Andreas Dackell by the coward Eric Lindros:

It felt like the whole arena shook from that hit. Unfortunately, one of the few times I've seen the Flyers lose live, though.

Also Ottawa related and because I was there, his 1G, 5A game in a 8-5 win in 1997 was probably my favourite live memory from watching Eric play for the Flyers. Legion of Doom dominance that night.

Side note: I believe this is the same game that Alex Daigle scored from his own side of centre because the puck hit a linesman at the Flyers' blueline and deflected into the Flyers' net, as Garth Snow was heading behind the net to knock the puck down.

That was a real dirty hit, type of hit that Scott Stevens would deliver.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

we haven't agreed much lately around here but this I agree with. After watching that series I was so confident they were going to win the Cup. out muscling Messier scoring the deciding goal with 6 ticks left or whatever it was. I did not think we would be denied.
The Cup Final ripped my heart out.

EDIT: the live moment that I can never forget is back in 1997 I had gone to a game in Boston in late February and I was sitting on the glass. probably 10 feet down from where I was sitting Dean Chynoweth drove Lindros into the boards. Man was Lindros pissed because he proceeded to beat the living crap out of Chynoweth.
Flyers tied(remember those?) a bad Boston team that day 5-5 blowing a 3-0 first period lead. They almost blew the game as well with Bourque putting one off the crossbar with seconds left that beat Hextall clean.
Also that was Trent Klatt's only NHL hat trick that day. If I am wrong I am sure MSE or someone will tell me haha

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^That was Klatt's lone hat trick with the Flyers. One of the funkiest games and conclusions of that period. The next game, Lindros got a minor in the opening minute (or near it) and a few seconds after coming out the box, scored an early goal in Hartford. That was a memorable way to rebound for the prior day's effort.

There are plenty of examples that can be nominated; however, a simple backhand in the 1997 playoffs was rapturous if not momentarily prophetic.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
we haven't agreed much lately around here but this I agree with. After watching that series I was so confident they were going to win the Cup. out muscling Messier scoring the deciding goal with 6 ticks left or whatever it was. I did not think we would be denied.
The Cup Final ripped my heart out.

EDIT: the live moment that I can never forget is back in 1997 I had gone to a game in Boston in late February and I was sitting on the glass. probably 10 feet down from where I was sitting Dean Chynoweth drove Lindros into the boards. Man was Lindros pissed because he proceeded to beat the living crap out of Chynoweth.
Flyers tied(remember those?) a bad Boston team that day 5-5 blowing a 3-0 first period lead. They almost blew the game as well with Bourque putting one off the crossbar with seconds left that beat Hextall clean.
Also that was Trent Klatt's only NHL hat trick that day. If I am wrong I am sure MSE or someone will tell me haha

Yep, it was March 1st, '97. http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/k/klatttr01/gamelog/1997

Lindros had 2 assists and a fight vs. Boston fighter defenseman Dean Chynoweth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBaN-WbrdBQ

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
Imagine if Stevens hadn't laid that cheap shot, head hit vs. Lindros in the 2000 ECCF Game 7 series. We might've won. The hit occurred 7:50 in the first, NJ up 1. So we still would've had over 50 minutes to win.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Imagine if Stevens hadn't laid that cheap shot, head hit vs. Lindros in the 2000 ECCF Game 7 series. We might've won. The hit occurred 7:50 in the first, NJ up 1. So we still would've had over 50 minutes to win.

Imagine if Carl taught Eric to skate with his head up, instead of letting him continue to bowl through guys in junior hockey... :sarcasm:

Only the Kasparitis hit on Eric was dirty, from my memory. The Stevens hit was part of the game then; he made a HHoF career from hits that would be suspension-worthy now.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Imagine if Carl taught Eric to skate with his head up, instead of letting him continue to bowl through guys in junior hockey... :sarcasm:

Only the Kasparitis hit on Eric was dirty, from my memory. The Stevens hit was part of the game then; he made a HHoF career from hits that would be suspension-worthy now.

yeah and not only was it dirty the clown was sitting on the bench laughing about it with the players sitting near him.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey

The Stevens' hit wasn't dirty? Lol. First of all, so it's okay for a guy to lay a bad check on another guy as long as the latter's head is down? Secondly, most importantly, the Stevens' hit was dirty. Go watch the video. The game was on ESPN and they showed a replay of it as he was lying down. It was head to head.

This amazes me= people that don't get that it was a dirty/head-to-head hit that proceeded a head injury. How do you think he got the concussion in the first place? Generally guys don't get head injuries from hip checks Lol.

The Kasparitis and Stevens' hits were both dirty, not that Lindros never laid one himself, but the Stevens' one is obvious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad