Fellow Flyers' fans- what is your favorite Big E (Lindros) moment

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
The Stevens' hit wasn't dirty? Lol. First of all, so it's okay for a guy to lay a bad check on another guy as long as the latter's head is down? Secondly, most importantly, the Stevens' hit was dirty. Go watch the video. The game was on ESPN and they showed a replay of it as he was lying down. It was head to head.
This amazes me= people that don't get that it was a dirty/head-to-head hit that proceeded a head injury. How do you think he got the concussion in the first place? Generally guys don't get head injuries from hip checks Lol.

The Kasparitis and Stevens' hits were both dirty, not that Lindros never laid one himself, but the Stevens' one is obvious.

I think modern hockey is changing your view here. I didn't think anything of it when it happened, and neither did most people. Stevens made a career hitting like that. Head contact was not a huge deal so long as your hands and elbows stayed low.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This is a wrestling slam. Holy ****.

Just listen to the commentators in this video. Now imaging if that his was today and how the reaction would be.

Hits like this are why some "old folk" say that the NHL has gotten too soft. Compare this to the Schenn hit on Drouin which has people saying he is dirty. Not sure they watched hockey in the 90's.

Watching Lindros as a team anger in the Canada Cup was jaw dropping just to see how good he was against the best in the world. A sign of things to come.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
^That was Klatt's lone hat trick with the Flyers. One of the funkiest games and conclusions of that period. The next game, Lindros got a minor in the opening minute (or near it) and a few seconds after coming out the box, scored an early goal in Hartford. That was a memorable way to rebound for the prior day's effort.

There are plenty of examples that can be nominated; however, a simple backhand in the 1997 playoffs was rapturous if not momentarily prophetic.

That was the biggest one for me that I remember. Completely sunk the Rangers.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
I think modern hockey is changing your view here. I didn't think anything of it when it happened, and neither did most people. Stevens made a career hitting like that. Head contact was not a huge deal so long as your hands and elbows stayed low.

You're right, hitting somebody in the head, causing a concussion, causing them to hit their head on the ground, that's perfectly okay. Just because it wasn't called a penalty at that time doesn't make it not a cheap hit.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
If the hit was part of the game, it's okay. If a guy had a seizure on the ice, but it was a "legal" hit at that time, according to people's logic, that makes it okay.

Look, Lindros had his fair share of dirty hits. But Stevens is the king of them. The Lindros and Kariya hits, plus more.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Konstintanov hit was extremely dirty, I'm not denying that he had some dirty hits. But Stevens is the king of those, and it amazes me that people deny that it was a dirty hit. Just because it was a powerful hit doesn't mean that it was a clean one.

I wasn't giving an opinion, just supplying a memorable clip IMO.

As mentioned above though you're applying today's standards to way back then when they weren't existent. That's how hockey was played back then & those guys took advantage of that. Any physical player took advantage of the laxed rules back. Hate the game not the player.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
I wasn't giving an opinion, just supplying a memorable clip IMO.

As mentioned above though you're applying today's standards to way back then when they weren't existent. That's how hockey was played back then & those guys took advantage of that. Any physical player took advantage of the laxed rules back. Hate the game not the player.

But I'm not asking people's opinions from back then of the hit, I'm asking them now.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
Of course it is now but those guys did those type of actions because they were allowed to back then. So I'm not going to judge players based off of that. They were product of their environments.

I'm amazed at how many people here accept a guy giving another guy a concussion. Just because it was allowed doesn't make it morally right. He purposely went head hunting, wasn't by coincidence.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm amazed at how many people here accept a guy giving another guy a concussion. Just because it was allowed doesn't make it morally right. He purposely went head hunting, wasn't by coincidence.

Again you're still applying modern times to back then. People weren't as educated on concussions back then as they are today.

If the league had the information they do today back then those hits wouldn't have happened which such frequency as suspensions would have been applied. I'm not going to hold an era responsible for something they didn't know any better with.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm applying it to modern times because concussions still existed back then.

They did but the grasp of them wasn't nearly like it is today. They weren't viewed anywhere in same stratosphere as they are today on a level of seriousness.

If you can't understand that than there's nothing really to be gained here with furthering this.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
They did but the grasp of them wasn't nearly like it is today. They weren't viewed anywhere in same stratosphere as they are today on a level of seriousness.

If you can't understand that than there's nothing really to be gained here with furthering this.

I love when people say "oh yeah, he prevented a breakaway from occurring, he did good" Lol. I can understand not as much known back then about concussions, but concussions have existed for decades, and people here are just pretending that it's okay for a guy to hit another guy in the head.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I thought it was pretty awesome when Mario basically called him the next great generational player after we eliminated them. It's great to see highlights of such a dominant player. I am really looking forward to having that type of success again.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
You're right, hitting somebody in the head, causing a concussion, causing them to hit their head on the ground, that's perfectly okay. Just because it wasn't called a penalty at that time doesn't make it not a cheap hit.

It wasn't thought to be as dangerous as it is now. I don't know why you're being sarcastic. I am not saying it is right - in hindsight it is obviously wrong, but it was not dirty back then. Stevens was applauded for making people scared to cross the blue line due to hits like that, right or wrong.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
If the hit was part of the game, it's okay. If a guy had a seizure on the ice, but it was a "legal" hit at that time, according to people's logic, that makes it okay.

Look, Lindros had his fair share of dirty hits. But Stevens is the king of them. The Lindros and Kariya hits, plus more.

Stevens would of been a huge fan favorite if he had been a Flyer. Not saying he didn't play on the line and sometimes crossed it, but pretty much all Flyer fans would of loved that intimidation factor he brought every time on the ice.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
Stevens would of been a huge fan favorite if he had been a Flyer. Not saying he didn't play on the line and sometimes crossed it, but pretty much all Flyer fans would of loved that intimidation factor he brought every time on the ice.

I'm not denying that he was intimidating to play against and a really good defenseman, but he took it too far on many occasions- e.g. lindros, kariya, and a bunch of other hits. There's even a Youtube clip that has some of his best hits, and if you look real close on a lot of those clips, they're hits to the head.

Gm 2 1996 against Florida. Never seen him play a game that rugged and determined.

I wonder why NJ was so bad/average that year. 37-33-12, missed the playoffs, yet won the Cup the year before and had pretty much the same team in '96 as '95. Just underperformed. The Flyers had a lot of talent, but the East was open for teams to crawl in at # 7 and 8. Hell, even TB made the playoffs, just ahead of NJ.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
It wasn't thought to be as dangerous as it is now. I don't know why you're being sarcastic. I am not saying it is right - in hindsight it is obviously wrong, but it was not dirty back then. Stevens was applauded for making people scared to cross the blue line due to hits like that, right or wrong.

I'm being sarcastic because being straightforward and 100% serious doesn't seem to be working in making people understand head injuries, getting concussed, etc. And it wasn't really legal back then, it's just the refs didn't give a f^ck. Big difference.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
The Konstintanov hit was extremely dirty, I'm not denying that he had some dirty hits. But Stevens is the king of those, and it amazes me that people deny that it was a dirty hit. Just because it was a powerful hit doesn't mean that it was a clean one.

So what? Konstantinov was filthy piece of crap and deserved it.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
The backhander against Rangers was top notch.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
Imagine if Carl taught Eric to skate with his head up, instead of letting him continue to bowl through guys in junior hockey... :sarcasm:

Only the Kasparitis hit on Eric was dirty, from my memory. The Stevens hit was part of the game then; he made a HHoF career from hits that would be suspension-worthy now.

The Kasparitis hit was very clean. I just watched the clip, he hit Lindros in the nose.

Stevens hit him in the head, totally different. Cheap shot hit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad