98.5 The Sports Hub Felger: I think Jim Montgomery is on the hot seat

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Has nothing to do with this discussion.

It has everything to do with the discussion. Sweeney doesn't get slack for firing Claude only just so he can jettison seven more when they don't achieve results that the owner wants so that he and that meat head Neely can save their skin. That's some grade A bullshit if that's how Sweeney think he's gonna maintain a career while blowing through draft picks like a guy blowing through scratch lottery and Kino tickets.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It has everything to do with the discussion. Sweeney doesn't get slack for firing Claude only just so he can jettison seven more when they don't achieve results that the owner wants so that he and that meat head Neely can save their skin. That's some grade A bullshit if that's how Sweeney think he's gonna maintain a career while blowing through draft picks like a guy blowing through scratch lottery and Kino tickets.

This is the post you replied to:

"The last two coaches the Bruins had were here 10 years and 6 years respectively.

That is the complete opposite of his point.

No other team in the NHL had only 2 coaches over that time frame..."

You replied:

"Claude wasn't Sweeney's hire. That doesn't count."

What difference does it make weather Sweeney hired Julien or not? They still only had 2 coaches over 15 seasons.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
This is the post you replied to:

"The last two coaches the Bruins had were here 10 years and 6 years respectively.

That is the complete opposite of his point.

No other team in the NHL had only 2 coaches over that time frame..."

You replied:

"Claude wasn't Sweeney's hire. That doesn't count."

What difference does it make weather Sweeney hired Julien or not? They still only had 2 coaches over 15 seasons.

Because Claude wasn't Sweeney's hire, so the entirety of Claude's entire tenure doesn't get to be tacked on as some sort of positive in favor of Sweeney's time as GM. Especially when you take into consideration the chicken shit way he and Neely fired Claude, which was during the Patriots' Super Bowl Parade. So no. Sweeney is on coach number three in eight years and if Monty fails, Sweeney should go down with him. Don't give this muttering buffoon and the meat headed stiff who masquerades as Sweeney's boss another chance to use some other coach as a human deflection shield. Either they start putting in place a roster that can go somewhere, or their heads join Montgomery on the chopping block.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Because Claude wasn't Sweeney's hire, so the entirety of Claude's entire tenure doesn't get to be tacked on as some sort of positive in favor of Sweeney's time as GM. Especially when you take into consideration the chicken shit way he and Neely fired Claude, which was during the Patriots' Super Bowl Parade. So no. Sweeney is on coach number three in eight years and if Monty fails, Sweeney should go down with him. Don't give this muttering buffoon and the meat headed stiff who masquerades as Sweeney's boss another chance to use some other coach as a human deflection shield. Either they start putting in place a roster that can go somewhere, or their heads join Montgomery on the chopping block.

This is not about Sweeney!!!!!

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Enough excuses, where are the solutions. Present them please.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
But was that not the case?
It is the case, but who hired Monty? Who put together the roster that blew the 3-1 lead? Who chose the style/blueprint of the team?

You can fairly blame the players for not performing and Monty for not making the correct choices, but at the end of the day Sweeney/Neely are the ones who put those guys in those positions. They are the ones who have been giving up assets at the deadline since 2017 to no avail.

They deserve more blame than they are receiving, and I am saying that as someone who was ecstatic about their deadline deals.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Isn't "Do your job" Belichick's mantra?

SweenNeely: Did their job.

Monty in playoffs: Did NOT do his job.

Most of the Bruins in playoffs: Did NOT do their jobs.

So, most people want to see players moved (mostly b/c we have to) but some bc they aren't playoff caliber. Fine.

But, no consequences for Monty? How does that even make sense? A lot of coaches in professional sports have been let go for a lot less. This was an historic EPIC failure. Definitely top 5 in all Bruins sports one might argue.

Monty did not have this team ready to go to war and he seemed totally inept and clueless. For those arguing that the players failed, yes, it's true that most of them did. But my question to them is, if it's mostly/or completely the players' fault, then why do we need coaches at all? Do coaches perform a valuable function? Is their performance in whatever function that is a part of a team's success or failure? If the answers to those questions are yes, then I can't see how anyone can honestly hold Monty blameless in any of this.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

I've said my solution numerous times. Blow it up. Rip the band aid off and blow it up to start the rebuild. It's gonna suck, it's gonna take a while but it will be worth it in the end because this team desperately needs a new identity rather than wasting futures for meaningless playoff runs that go nowhere for a team that has no guts and gets flung around the rink like a booger when it faces a team that has an average height above 6'. As for how Monty can fix this shit pile, I couldn't tell you where to start. I think the people up top who give him the players to work with don't know what the f*** they're doing and are just winging it half the time anyway, because they need to meet Mr. Burns's minimum requirement of a first round playoff gate. It also doesn't help that Monty doesn't know how to build a consistent line up and just does nothing but tinker tinker, even when it isn't necessary and just f***s with the chemistry. This team, as currently constructed, isn't built to win titles or even to be any sort of functional franchise. It merely exists to get a bare minimum of playoff revenue for Delaware North. Congratulations, we are now the Harold Ballard era Toronto Maple Leafs sans the constant money theft from team coffers and horrific illegal crimes.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
It is the case, but who hired Monty? Who put together the roster that blew the 3-1 lead? Who chose the style/blueprint of the team?

You can fairly blame the players for not performing and Monty for not making the correct choices, but at the end of the day Sweeney/Neely are the ones who put those guys in those positions. They are the ones who have been giving up assets at the deadline since 2017 to no avail.

They deserve more blame than they are receiving, and I am saying that as someone who was ecstatic about their deadline deals.

Bingo. At some point, whether you love or hate Sweeney's trades, you have to question if this approach is the right thing from an organizational health point given how slim the margin of error is now for the Bruins to win at a high level going forward. For them to keep it up, they would need to hit on every single draft pick from the mid rounds down, so they can have the guarantee of being just perennial playoff contenders. Not just cup winners, but playoff contenders. At some point, the Bruins are going to roll snake eyes and it's not going to be pretty.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Isn't "Do your job" Belichick's mantra?

SweenNeely: Did their job.

Monty in playoffs: Did NOT do his job.

Most of the Bruins in playoffs: Did NOT do their jobs.

So, most people want to see players moved (mostly b/c we have to) but some bc they aren't playoff caliber. Fine.

But, no consequences for Monty? How does that even make sense? A lot of coaches in professional sports have been let go for a lot less. This was an historic EPIC failure. Definitely top 5 in all Bruins sports one might argue.

Monty did not have this team ready to go to war and he seemed totally inept and clueless. For those arguing that the players failed, yes, it's true that most of them did. But my question to them is, if it's mostly/or completely the players' fault, then why do we need coaches at all? Do coaches perform a valuable function? Is their performance in whatever function that is a part of a team's success or failure? If the answers to those questions are yes, then I can't see how anyone can honestly hold Monty blameless in any of this.

I agree.

The collapse was completely attributed to:
1. Montgomery
2. Ullmark
3. McAvoy
4. Lindholm
5. Pasta

The others did their jobs well enough to win.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Bingo. At some point, whether you love or hate Sweeney's trades, you have to question if this approach is the right thing from an organizational health point given how slim the margin of error is now for the Bruins to win at a high level going forward. For them to keep it up, they would need to hit on every single draft pick from the mid rounds down, so they can have the guarantee of being just perennial playoff contenders. Not just cup winners, but playoff contenders. At some point, the Bruins are going to roll snake eyes and it's not going to be pretty.
I think you and NDiesel make good points here, and it makes me want to revise my remarks slightly. Sweeney did make some great acquisitions THIS year, so much so that he made us a favorite to win it all, but, as many here agree, he has made a plethora of bad decisions in the past (so much so that it's almost become an offense to discuss it here). And those decisions most certainly have left us in the position we're in now. We went for broke and came up empty and now we're really screwed.

But, again, as much as I've been dissatisfied with Don and Cam over the past several years, the fact is that by some dint of luck and magic, they DID THEIR JOB and put us in a position to win it THIS YEAR--even with an old Bergy and DK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff and NDiesel

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think you and NDiesel make good points here, and it makes me want to revise my remarks slightly. Sweeney did make some great acquisitions THIS year, so much so that he made us a favorite to win it all, but, as many here agree, he has made a plethora of bad decisions in the past (so much so that it's almost become an offense to discuss it here). And those decisions most certainly have left us in the position we're in now. We went for broke and came up empty and now we're really screwed.

But, again, as much as I've been dissatisfied with Don and Cam over the past several years, the fact is that by some dint of luck and magic, they DID THEIR JOB and put us in a position to win it THIS YEAR--even with an old Bergy and DK.
Very well said. I think regardless of who we believe is to blame, all in all they probably did enough this year to keep their jobs, I would just like them to not get a free pass because the players/Monty also laid an egg.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Very well said. I think regardless of who we believe is to blame, all in all they probably did enough this year to keep their jobs, I would just like them to not get a free pass because the players/Monty also laid an egg.
Who's getting a free pass?

Does anyone honestly think that the Front Office, Coaching Staff and Players have shrugged this off and don't give a shit?

They know more than anyone, the huge opportunity that was squandered. Possibly the LAST opportunity that many of them will ever have.....That's hardly getting a free pass here.

Just because everyone in the organization isn't publicly flogging themselves about it on Beacon Street, doesn't mean they don't care or are getting a free pass. They are going to have to wear that stink on them for the rest of their careers, until they do something to make people forget.....Like the 2011 team did, after the 2010 playoff implosion.

stevebeans

May 15, 2010

If they’ve done one thing well over their decades of ownership its blame and fire coaches,” host Michael Felger said of Bruins ownership. “It’s what they’ve done. It’s what they’ve done most consistently and is probably their calling card. They’ve owned the team for 50 effin years and they’ve had three general managers. They’ve had how many coaches? So they are conditioned as owners to get off the plane from Buffalo or off the boat in the Bahamas or off the horse in Wellington, check in with their general manager, have their manager throw the coach under the bus, have them say, ‘Well, that sounds good’ and fire the coach. This is the Bruins experience that we’ve had here now for half a century. And that’s what it felt like today.
I’m super annoyed how he handled the goalie situation and disappointed in the playoffs in general but he’s not getting fired.

They had the best record in history. This roster was stacked. They should have been able to win regardless but they choked. Jim takes blame but the players and the horrific defense deserve more

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Who's getting a free pass?

Does anyone honestly think that the Front Office, Coaching Staff and Players have shrugged this off and don't give a shit?

They know more than anyone, the huge opportunity that was squandered. Possibly the LAST opportunity that many of them will ever have.....That's hardly getting a free pass here.

Just because everyone in the organization isn't publicly flogging themselves about it on Beacon Street, doesn't mean they don't care or are getting a free pass. They are going to have to wear that stink on them for the rest of their careers, until they do something to make people forget.....Like the 2011 team did, after the 2010 playoff implosion.
Think you misunderstood my post

Reactions: RoccoF14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad