98.5 The Sports Hub Felger: I think Jim Montgomery is on the hot seat

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

If they’ve done one thing well over their decades of ownership its blame and fire coaches,” host Michael Felger said of Bruins ownership. “It’s what they’ve done. It’s what they’ve done most consistently and is probably their calling card. They’ve owned the team for 50 effin years and they’ve had three general managers. They’ve had how many coaches? So they are conditioned as owners to get off the plane from Buffalo or off the boat in the Bahamas or off the horse in Wellington, check in with their general manager, have their manager throw the coach under the bus, have them say, ‘Well, that sounds good’ and fire the coach. This is the Bruins experience that we’ve had here now for half a century. And that’s what it felt like today.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Regardless of the source, am interesting point is made. It’s 4 Gms, though- Harry, MOC, Chia, Sweeney, 3 were fired/relieved whatever.You would expect more turnover of coaches as a general rule, but in nearly 50 years, for a club that is 1-8 in Cup finals in that stretch, it seems like management should be taking a bit more heat than they do. What is the number of coaches- 19 including Monty?

I’m curious how that ratio compares to other clubs. 1 Gm for every 5 coaches, just about, seems high to me.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Let’s be real.

They had the horses this year.

The one “yeah, but” I’ll allow for is that there was always a risk you were going to lose Bergeron and or Krejci to the war of attrition during a long playoff run, but they didn’t even survive round 1 from that standpoint.

Could they have made it through Florida with Bergeron and Krejci both staying on the shelf and switching to Swayman in net?

To quote Tootsie Roll Pop, the world may never know.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Do people seriously not understand Felger's act at this point?

Like, how do you keep falling for it?

And do you not see the pattern? Felger may be a hack, but even a broken clock is right twice a day and this is something he's 100% right on. The GMs of this team always save their skin by blaming the coach for the problems. The past two decades of Bruins history going back to the 1999-00 season is proof positive of this. And this will be no different if Monty under delivers because the Bruins are ran by a mentally checked out owner whose not in the building most nights and a bunch of brown nosers who kiss ol' Burnsy's ass when he's not sitting in his private estate in Buffalo. In any other organization, the brown noser bunch of Sinden, Neely, and Sweeney would be gone. But not here. Nope. As long as they kiss Jeremy Jacobs's ass, everything is hunky dory down in the North End. I will say this until I'm blue in the face: this team won't change for the better until Jeremy Jacobs is dead. The same way the Blackhawks didn't change for the better until Dollar Bill Wirtz died.

Monty is going nowhere. It would take two more 1st round collapses before he is fired.

The one thing that is admirable about the guy is... he raises his players up... regardless

And absorbs the blame instead.

It's not about Monty needing to be fired. It's about the two chucklef***s behind him who are using him as a human shield the way they used Bruce Cassidy as a human shield, who need to be fired.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Monty sort of threw Essensa under the bus and if goalie Bob really was responsible to let Ullmark play in games 5 and 6 while injured, well then maybe a new goalie coach is in the works, there is this guy named Tuukka that could step into that role.

Reactions: RustyBruins72

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Monty sort of threw Essensa under the bus and if goalie Bob really was responsible to let Ullmark play in games 5 and 6 while injured, well then maybe a new goalie coach is in the works, there is this guy named Tuukka that could step into that role.
Pass the buck.

The shit starts at the top of the hill and rolls on down.

Who’s accountable?

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I'd hire Tuukka as the goalie coach. Marc Savard to take over as assistant and run the PP.
what the bruins clearly need more of in the organization is more former members of what we've all considered an underperforming core to be added to coaching and management positions.

perhaps if people are serious about wanting changes we should start looking outside former players

Reactions: Gordoff

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Regardless of the source, am interesting point is made. It’s 4 Gms, though- Harry, MOC, Chia, Sweeney, 3 were fired/relieved whatever.You would expect more turnover of coaches as a general rule, but in nearly 50 years, for a club that is 1-8 in Cup finals in that stretch, it seems like management should be taking a bit more heat than they do. What is the number of coaches- 19 including Monty?

I’m curious how that ratio compares to other clubs. 1 Gm for every 5 coaches, just about, seems high to me.
First off, Harry's tenure throws off everything. That's like pretending you can average things out and draw rational conclusions from the last 50 years of the Patriots.

And with most general managers in this league, you get to fire two coaches, so you'll have worked with three by the time you're fired/retired. At least, that's always been my rule of thumb - you fire your second coach, it's you on the hot seat.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Really doubt it. The pressure is on but he’s not going anywhere.

He certainly fumbled the bag after an incredible year but so did guys like McAvoy and Lindholm. They’re not going anywhere.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'd hire Tuukka as the goalie coach. Marc Savard to take over as assistant and run the PP.
I doubt Tuukka would want to do that, and Bob (the goalie coach) has been excellent, so I doubt that he is going.

I believe Savvy wants a head coaching job. If he would come to Boston to be an assistant coach and run the PP, I would be all for it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
What about what was posted there is not true?

The last two coaches the Bruins had were here 10 years and 6 years respectively.

That is the complete opposite of his point.

No other team in the NHL had only 2 coaches over that time fame, but this guy claims:

"If they’ve done one thing well over their decades of ownership its blame and fire coaches,” host Michael Felger said of Bruins ownership. “It’s what they’ve done. It’s what they’ve done most consistently and is probably their calling card."

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Monty is going nowhere. It would take two more 1st round collapses before he is fired.

The one thing that is admirable about the guy is... he raises his players up... regardless

And absorbs the blame instead.
I sure hope it doesn't take 2 more 1st round collapses.

As far as taking blame, he does but he doesn't. Monty seems to be the guy who says whatever you want to hear.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I dont think Montgomery should be fired now, but I absolutely pin large failures in the playoffs on him, mainly all of game 6. it was bad how out of control of the situation he was

Both can be true, and sadly we have to move on to next year.

Babajingo

Monty should be safe. He should get a big amount of the blame for the playoffs but his job should be safe, for now.
It's the clowns above him that need to go. The Bruins cap situation and thin prospect pool were around prior to this year. This year was saved by DK and PB signing for pennies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It looked like Cam wanted to let Monty have it.

While I don't think they fire him, I don't see how people think it's not possible.

Management invested a lot in this team and Monty got in the way.
I agree and disagree

He was a key reason for the record breaking season. If the Bruins clinch only a wildcard. No way they make all those big trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad