New York Islanders: Feb 28th game against leafs Moved to the Coliseum!

crasherino

May 9, 2013
There will be quite a few leafs fans there I’m certain, and honestly I don’t think it’ll be a problem as long as they don’t act like dicks. I will be one of them, if I can find a way to get there from the city.
This is one of the reasons the move was made, I’m sure. It’s easy for opposing fans to get to the game in Barclays. In Nassau you have to work a bit to get there. I’m sure that’s a factor in moving the game.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Why because it is, who ever heard of changing the venue of a game just so it is a more hostile crowd which I am guessing is the Islanders motivation

There could be a couple of reasons:

1) Tickets weren't selling in Brookly and tickets in Nassau would.
2) They want a more hostile crowd.
3) They wanted to make it more difficult for the Leafs fans to travel to and get tickets.
4) They might be shifting other games to the Coliseum as well.
5) They wanted to make Tavares happy by giving him at least one more game at the Coliseum.

I don't care what the reason is. More games at the Coliseum is a good thing at this point.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Not doing anything would be a huge snub. I don't expect anything grand but they have to acknowledge it. Maybe just a picture on the scoreboard of JT scoring the winning OT goal against FLA with a "Thanks for the memories" caption.
The first thing Lou did after the snake screwed the team was go to the practice facility to personally oversee any trace of the guy being torn down and destroyed. There is not going to be any tribute.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Why because it is, who ever heard of changing the venue of a game just so it is a more hostile crowd which I am guessing is the Islanders motivation
"Because it is" is not an answer. And whoever heard of a team splitting its home games between two arenas?

Also, I'm not so sure it guarantees a more hostile crowd. Slightly less Leafs fans? I guess... But I don't see bus loads of Toronto fans flocking to Brooklyn OR Nassau for a midweek game in February against the Isles. Obviously this game has much more significance to Islander fans. I wouldn't read much into it other than accommodating the bulk of the fan base for a big game. It may be the last sellout of the season.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The first thing Lou did after the snake screwed the team was go to the practice facility to personally oversee any trace of the guy being torn down and destroyed. There is not going to be any tribute.
That's incredible hyperbole. Of course there will be an acknowledgement. You're being naive.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016

3) They wanted to make it more difficult for the Leafs fans to travel to and get tickets.
5) They wanted to make Tavares happy by giving him at least one more game at the Coliseum.

I don't care what the reason is. More games at the Coliseum is a good thing at this point.
1) tickets were selling fine
2 ) lame and bush league
3) only advantage but even that is semi-bush league, but yeah playing in Barclay's has definetly brought out the opposing fans and I am sure it would be ten fold as the Leafs fans are now coming out since they are actually a good team
4) if that is the case it is forgiven as just this 1 off is Bush league
5) he will be playing there at least in April and the next couple of years

crasherino

May 9, 2013
That's incredible hyperbole. Of course there will be an acknowledgement. You're being naive.
I thought the same way at first. I’m not so sure now. There may be SOME acknowledgement but I don’t think there will be a tribute video like other Islanders have had.

For safety sake.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

1) Probably
2) Probably not
3) Probably not
4) Possibly
5) LOL

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
"Because it is" is not an answer. And whoever heard of a team splitting its home games between two arenas?

Also, I'm not so sure it guarantees a more hostile crowd. Slightly less Leafs fans? I guess... But I don't see bus loads of Toronto fans flocking to Brooklyn OR Nassau for a midweek game in February against the Isles. Obviously this game has much more significance to Islander fans. I wouldn't read much into it other than accommodating the bulk of the fan base for a big game. It may be the last sellout of the season.

There was a decent amount at the Barclays last year, late in the season, when I went. It actually kept the ticket prices on the secondary market from completely dropping the way I had wanted.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I thought the same way at first. I’m not so sure now. There may be SOME acknowledgement but I don’t think there will be a tribute video like other Islanders have had.

For safety sake.
I don't expect a full blown, slick video tribute but I do expect maybe a short clip or still image thanking him.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Changing the location should not be a big deal for ticketholders who for some reason can't make it to NVMC. Anybody who bought tix for the game at BK can probably sell them at a profit for the game at NVMC.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
1) tickets were selling fine
2 ) lame and bush league
3) only advantage but even that is semi-bush league, but yeah playing in Barclay's has definetly brought out the opposing fans and I am sure it would be ten fold as the Leafs fans are now coming out since they are actually a good team
4) if that is the case it is forgiven as just this 1 off is Bush league
5) he will be playing there at least in April and the next couple of years

Part of me agrees with you. Whatever the motivation, it’s a bit petty.

But f*** it - we are allowed to be petty at times. I try to be the bigger person in most aspects of my life, sometimes it’s ok to indulge the dark side. If this promotes some old time hockey on the ice and in the stands, eh - I’m OK with it.

I grew up watching many a fight in the Coliseum stands, bathrooms, etc. I haven’t stabbed one person yet.

Reactions: bigtim1988

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
i really hope no one is an idiot and throws something at JT - I really wouldnt be shocked if it happened

We all know that this fanbase has more than its share of morons. So I expect a decent amount of idiocy that night. It would be a very hostile environment even without alcohol, add that in, and you have some bad news bears.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Changing the location should not be a big deal for ticketholders who for some reason can't make it to NVMC. Anybody who bought tix for the game at BK can probably sell them at a profit for the game at NVMC.

The islanders will gladly refund any ticket holder who can’t make that game. Take that one to the bank.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
i really hope no one is an idiot and throws something at JT - I really wouldnt be shocked if it happened
Playing at NYCB is going to all but guarantee it, at Barclay's the upper level is a mile away, and the lower level is small and would have been 40% Leaf fans, Isles are playing up this thing and asking the crowd to be hostile

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I expect a short respectful tribute of some kind, but there will be something about it that will make it different than if he had been traded. My guess: we won't see a video or pix of him in Islanders' gear or with other players. It might just be a head shot of him up on the screen along with an announcement thanking him for his time with the team and acknowledging his individual accomplishments.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah agreed. But let’s face it - isles fans in Brooklyn are a minority. They’re probably making a lot of their own fan base happier by moving this. My only knock with nvmc is getting there. It’s a fun building for hockey and should be a great atmosphere that night.
This is another example of how BSE and Brett Yormark just don’t get it. The game is scheduled, tickets are sold, and people buy those tickets on the basis of where the game is being played. It’s wrong to change up midstream like this.

We’ll all be glad when BSE no longer runs the business end of the Islanders.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This is bigger news to you, than it is to them.

Not sure why you'd expect Leaf fans to care about this.
Because this year they seem to care about trolling this board more than ever. I can’t imagine why.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad