FC's April Rankings Up

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
He knows much more than most people do. He just can't tell you why he knows more or how, because somehow he cannot say how he forms his opinions on players or answer simple questions about when he watches players play the sport of hockey. Instead, he trolls threads with his baseless opinions and stirs up controversy for no apparent reason.

LOL :sarcasm:

Anyways, it's great to see Huberdeau in the top 3. I think that if last year, the CHL season were longuer by 1 month, scouts would have put Johansen in the top 3 too. Maybe ahead of Seguin. It's really a question of which playing is bringing his game up when it matters most.

LuckyLuke87

May 11, 2010
Prague
While Saint John is indeed a very deep team, it is worth noting Huberdeau is their best player. That is saying something. When was the last time a draft eligible player was the best player on the best team in the CHL? Can't recall that myself.

As to the Q v WHL, certainly the W produces more NHLers, but in terms of impact forwards, the Q is actually better at producing elite NHLers when you look at it. So in that regard, one could argue you should worry more about RNH than Huberdeau because of the league they each play in (although I don't buy that argument against RNH in the W any more than yours for JH in the Q).

The important thing to note is not that so many of the people on the boards disagree with you. It's that the scouts do. Huberdeau is the real deal. Whether he should be 2nd or 4th or 6th is a matter for debate. But he is an elite prospect that deserves top 5 consideration.

Maybe Taylor Hall on Windsor Spitfers last year? :sarcasm:

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I'm puzzled by those who discount a player's performance only on the basis that he plays on a strong team. Truth of the matter is that many top players come from strong teams. Taylor Hall/Patrick Kane/a slew of others are examples. That said, I, too, am not completely sold on Huberdeau as a lottery pick player. Of course, if the Sea Dogs take home the Memorial Cup, with Huberdeau leading the way, maybe even with an MVP trophy in tow, it'd be pretty hard not to be convinced.

As for the "QMJHL is weak" argument, there is some truth to that, imo, as evidenced by Memorial Cup championships of the past 20+years or so. I don't buy into the argument as much as I used to, but it is a fact that it hasn't produced many championship calibre teams in recent history.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I'm puzzled by those who discount a player's performance only on the basis that he plays on a strong team. Truth of the matter is that many top players come from strong teams. Taylor Hall/Patrick Kane/a slew of others are examples. That said, I, too, am not completely sold on Huberdeau as a lottery pick player. Of course, if the Sea Dogs take home the Memorial Cup, with Huberdeau leading the way, maybe even with an MVP trophy in tow, it'd be pretty hard not to be convinced.

As for the "QMJHL is weak" argument, there is some truth to that, imo, as evidenced by Memorial Cup championships of the past 20+years or so. I don't buy into the argument as much as I used to, but it is a fact that it hasn't produced many championship calibre teams in recent history.

There is nothing wrong with coming from a strong team. It's the fact as of now in the playoffs, Huburdeau has beaten up on awful teams. Over the course of the regular season that isn't so bad, but in the playoffs, your performance agaisnt quality competition is definitely a viable arguement. We'll see how Huburdeau does in that case.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
There is nothing wrong with coming from a strong team. It's the fact as of now in the playoffs, Huburdeau has beaten up on awful teams. Over the course of the regular season that isn't so bad, but in the playoffs, your performance agaisnt quality competition is definitely a viable arguement. We'll see how Huburdeau does in that case.

That's a suspect argument at best. With that, you're essentially saying that there is more quality competition in the regular season as compared to the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Thats a suspect argument at best. With that, you're essentially saying that there is more quality competition in the regular season as compared to the playoffs.

Not really. Over the regular season you aren't just playing the bad teams, they're not all in a row. So far Huburdeaus opponents have been. Once Huburdeau plays a good team in a playoff series I'll put stock in it, but these first two series it hasn't been fair at all.

It would be like if a team in the NHL played an AHL team twice in a row, Player X scores at 2.5 PPG those series, is that MVP worthy? No its not, its the first 2 series and its agaisnt teams a lot worse then your own. When they play a team with at least comparble talent then we'll see. But I put little stock into his performance now besides hes able to dominate terrible teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingPenguin

Apr 4, 2009
Kingston, ON
Were they the top ranked team last year? Didn't recall that, but that would be a perfect example.

I guess Huberdeau and Hall are in a class of their own. :sarcasm:

No, but they were the best.

And re:Huberdeau, he wouldn't be rising as much as he was if it was based totally on stats, obviously scouts like what they're seeing beyond his scoring.

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
You sound jealous of OHL and WHL talent.

Did you learn to debate at the Sarah Palin School of Mavericky Debating? Sure seems like it. Your responses have been hilarious. You admitted you haven't watched any of the games. We would you argue about a player's performance when you haven't watched any games? If facts don't matter, because you're right in your conclusions anyway, then everyone on the board is just going to ignore your posts from now on. I'm seriously not trying to flame you; just asking that you engage in debate differently.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Why are we having a pissing match between the CHL leauges? Great players come out of all leauges even the BCHL and Junior B. Sure, the QMJHL hasn't produced the depth the WHL or OHL have but it doesn't mean they aren't capable of producing NHLers.

Obviously Huberdeau is not in the same category as a player like Crosby or Lecavalier so I'm not really sure why they are being compared. I don't hate the QMJHL at all and think they are a very good leauge capable of producing a wide variety of NHL players. Sure they don't have the success as other leauges but that's not going to make you pass on a player. Also, teams like St.John would still be amongst the top if they were placed in the OHL.

I don't know what the point of saying the OHL is better then the QMJHL. Sure I think its better but it doesn't really prove anything. If the next sakic was in the SM-Liga would you pass on him because their success rate? Hell, did people think this way about the Q before crosby was drafted?

I still don't think he is a top 3 selection but not because of the leauge he plays in.

Sizemore24*

Why are we having a pissing match between the CHL leauges? Great players come out of all leauges even the BCHL and Junior B. Sure, the QMJHL hasn't produced the depth the WHL or OHL have but it doesn't mean they aren't capable of producing NHLers.

Obviously Huberdeau is not in the same category as a player like Crosby or Lecavalier so I'm not really sure why they are being compared. I don't hate the QMJHL at all and think they are a very good leauge capable of producing a wide variety of NHL players. Sure they don't have the success as other leauges but that's not going to make you pass on a player. Also, teams like St.John would still be amongst the top if they were placed in the OHL.

I don't know what the point of saying the OHL is better then the QMJHL. Sure I think its better but it doesn't really prove anything. If the next sakic was in the SM-Liga would you pass on him because their success rate? Hell, did people think this way about the Q before crosby was drafted?

I still don't think he is a top 3 selection but not because of the leauge he plays in.

why he hisn't?

you saw him play more than once?

torontosports10

Mar 6, 2009
Well Saint John will be playing Lewiston in the semi-finals. So if Huberdeau gets any points they dont matter because Lewiston is a "weak" team who just beat the 2nd seeded team.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

Well a bunch of WHL fans were saying Brule was better then Crosby and putting up over a PPG in the WHL was equivalent to what Crosby did in the Q.

Oct 15, 2008
And Taylor Hall was better than Huburdeau in a better league.

Sure hes a great player, but top 3? Yeah not very likely in my, and others, opinions. I don't really see how you can call his playoffs a plus at this point, put any top prospect agaisnt some of the worst teams in the league when you're on one of the best and they'll put up just as good numbers. Huburdeau has yet to play a team even close to Saint John, so i'll disregard those stats are nothing more than great. Not amazing, just good or great.

Not only is it possible that he crack the top three, he could be in the conversation for first overall, and it wouldnt surprise me if he does go there, if he shows well in the Memorial cup, should the Sea Dogs get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad