FaZe Clan is taking over

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah but, esports was in the olympics and will be featured more prominently in future olympics.

Chess is a sport recognized by the IOC.

Is the IOC wrong?

Im sorry, top end esports is athletic. Just because the antiquated definition of athletics clouds your judgement doesn’t mean it clouds everyone’s.

And btw, pro wrestlers are athletes
Chess isn't a sport. No one was calling Bobby Fisher a great athlete.

Something isn't athletic because of its top end. If you can't casually play it and have it qualify as an athletic activity, then it's you aren't a professional athlete if you play it professionally. And, I don't care what the IOC labels things. They also label it "virtual sports."

So if my grandparents played a pick up game of basketball, they’re atheletes?
No, they participated in an athletic activity. Unlike playing video games. Professional athletes are people paid to play an activity that would be deemed athletic at even an entry level. No one would consider picking up a controller to play Fortnite athletic, and something doesn't become an athletic event as it moves up a competitive level. Hockey, Basketball, Baseball, Football, Soccer, Tennis, etc are all considered athletic events whether you are playing casually or professionally. You are saying it only applies to competition esports, but if something isn't an athletic challenge at the entry level, it isn't a sport.

I don't remember any of this complaining about great dart, billiards or chess players having this yearning to be labelled athletes like E-Sports for whatever reason. They were content just being great at the game they chose to love and play.

Reactions: mouser

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So if my grandparents played a pick up game of basketball, they’re atheletes?

You ignored my question again, which is starting to suggest that you don't have a good answer.

Yes, if your grandparents were to play a pick-up game of basketball, they would technically be the athletes in that game (as opposed to the spectators or officials), similar to how someone playing his first game of chess is one of the two chess players in that game. If the latter were to start playing chess regularly, then we might call him a chess player in general. Similarly, if your grandparents were to play basketball regularly and competitively, we might call them athletes in general. Whether they're good at basketball or not has no bearing on it, just like how someone who plays 10 games of chess every day and loses every one is still a chess player. Whether you're ranked in the top 0.1% of the world doesn't determine whether you're a chess player, just as it doesn't determine whether you're an athlete.

Now, pro chess players and pro athletes are a little different, since only the best can make it as pros. That's what you seem to be talking about, but you're just saying "athletes" as if the "pro" is redundant, as if there's no such thing as amateur athletes and as if we didn't just finish watching thousands complete only a few weeks ago. In fact, aren't the Special Olympics going on right now? Do those men and women who are participating in them not count as athletes because 1) they're not pros, and 2) they're nowhere near as good as athletes in their sport that are able bodied?

Last edited:

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Probably gonna take some shit by someone in the thread for saying this but I've never been impressed by most of these pro players' gunplay. I means it's elite, but not other worldly.

However when you take that and combine it with their teamwork and strategy, it puts them on another level.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
You ignored my question again, which is starting to suggest that you don't have a good answer.

Yes, if your grandparents were to play a pick-up game of basketball, they would technically be the athletes in that game (as opposed to the spectators or officials), similar to how someone playing his first game of chess is one of the two chess players in that game. If the latter were to start playing chess regularly, then we might call him a chess player in general. Similarly, if your grandparents were to play basketball regularly and competitively, we might call them athletes in general. Whether they're good at basketball or not has no bearing on it, just like how someone who plays 10 games of chess every day and loses every one is still a chess player. Whether you're ranked in the top 0.1% of the world doesn't determine whether you're a chess player, just as it doesn't determine whether you're an athlete.

Now, pro chess players and pro athletes are a little different, since only the best can make it as pros. That's what you seem to be talking about, but you're just saying "athletes" as if the "pro" is redundant, as if there's no such thing as amateur athletes and as if we didn't just finish watching thousands complete only a few weeks ago. In fact, aren't the Special Olympics going on right now? Do those men and women who are participating in them not count as athletes because 1) they're not pros, and 2) they're nowhere near as good as athletes in their sport that are able bodied?
I’ve answered your question, tho.

Pro gamers are athletes. Casual gamers aren’t. Yes, this is hard to comprehend but I’ll work with everyone who wants a clearer definition.

The problem comes when anybody chimes in that just because they play CoD or FN they suddenly have some sort of opinion that matters when honestly, they aren’t good enough at that game to have one.

Yes, like it or not, kids train to be good at video games, some hire coaches. They train physically and mentally. Just like athletes in pro sports. Unlike many, I have a ton of respect for kids grinding at video games to get picked up by an org. If they are dedicating themselves the same way a young hockey player does I don’t knock the hustle.

Many do, obviously, because of the antiquated definition of what an athlete is. That’s on anybody still clinging to it, not me.

And yes, I am a .1% player at Fortnite, highly ranked currently even with only playing one game in the last week, and I don’t consider myself an athlete next to these kids. They are that much better and more streamlined and dedicated then I ever will be any more until the Halo BR comes out in December.

Am I a better player? Kind of think so, but not a better athlete.

Again, for the umpteenth time, if you haven’t played on the stages these kids play on, you really don’t know what you are talking about. You don’t know what they go thru other then swinging around a mouse. These kids get paid by orgs to win money tournaments and that takes its toll mentally and physically.

Its 2021, ya know

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Probably gonna take some shit by someone in the thread for saying this but I've never been impressed by most of these pro players' gunplay. I means it's elite, but not other worldly.

However when you take that and combine it with their teamwork and strategy, it puts them on another level.
Well, Dr. Disrespect, somebody who isn’t a pro player, just had an 8 sniper kill game in WZ.

That, is other worldly.

Unless they were bots, of course

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I’ve answered your question, tho.

Pro gamers are athletes. Casual gamers aren’t.

That's repeating your argument. I've been asking you to support it (i.e. make a case for why you're not an athlete unless you're a pro).
Yes, this is hard to comprehend but I’ll work with everyone who wants a clearer definition.

You need to knock off the condescension. It just makes it look like your arguments are tied up with your ego and that you're compensating for not being able to support them.
And yes, I am a .1% player at Fortnite, highly ranked currently...

Honestly, no one asked or cares.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
And I was just given this gem in my chat;

If social media, SI, and ESPN consider pro gamers athletes, does it even matter what some antique message board thinks?

And that’s a Boom right there

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
That's repeating your argument. I've been asking you to support it (i.e. make a case for why you're not an athlete unless you're a pro).

You need to knock off the condescension. It just makes it look like your arguments are tied up with your ego and that you're compensating for not being able to support them.

Honestly, no one asked or cares.
But it’s relevant because I have played against these kids and everyone here hasn’t in a competitive setting.

I, like it or not, have experience playing in money tournaments and can back it up with proof while everyone here is just saying “oh, they ain’t no athletes “ and “well back in 2007 I was a top 30 player” or “I killed Ninja in pubs playing PubG”.

If I am the only player good enough to play against these kids, then no offense, my opinion has a little more weight concerning the whole gamer/athlete debate.

Here’s a question;

If you are not good enough to play against these kids in a money tournament setting, how can anybody who hasn’t say they’re not athletes?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Well, Dr. Disrespect, somebody who isn’t a pro player, just had an 8 sniper kill game in WZ.

That, is other worldly.

Unless they were bots, of course

I Iove Dr D but also fully recognize as far as streamers go he's not actually that good at WZ. Obviously he's very good, but compared to to Aydan, ZLaner, Huskkers, Tommey etc he's a step below. Quite a few steps below those guys actually. Extremely entertaining though.

Reactions: Cubs2024WSChamps

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Ya. Pro Gamers are not athletes.

Your argument really makes no sense when you go as far as saying that only pro gamers are athletes and not casual gamers.

Pro Gamers are participants in Esports which is not the same as typical athletic sports.

Lets just call them E-Mind Athletes and make our own definition as they are not traditional Athletes.

- A person who sits in one place for long periods of time not exerting any physical movement besides moving their thumbs and using mental strength to overcome opponents on electronic devices.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
I can’t believe he is still trying to say this. I would bury my head in the sand before I would try and argue that a video game player is an athlete. People just make new shit up whenever they feel like it.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
This really makes no sense. You aren't good enough to compete with the kids on the spelling bee on ESPN, that doesn't make them athletes.
Actually it makes a lot of sense.

If you never competed at a high level against other players of the same caliber, you have no clue what tolls it takes.

I’ll make it simple;

If you played hockey, but never made it to the nhl, can you actually tell somebody what it’s like to play in the nhl?

Im sorry there’s no minor league for gamers, you either work your way to athlete status, or your just a casual gamer.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I can’t believe he is still trying to say this. I would bury my head in the sand before I would try and argue that a video game player is an athlete. People just make new shit up whenever they feel like it.
Still waiting for proof you were a top 30 player in 2007 tho.

Need help finding the archive, lmk

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Actually it makes a lot of sense.

If you never competed at a high level against other players of the same caliber, you have no clue what tolls it takes.

I’ll make it simple;

If you played hockey, but never made it to the nhl, can you actually tell somebody what it’s like to play in the nhl?

Im sorry there’s no minor league for gamers, you either work your way to athlete status, or your just a casual gamer.

So you agree that spelling bee competitors are athletes?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Ya. Pro Gamers are not athletes.

Your argument really makes no sense when you go as far as saying that only pro gamers are athletes and not casual gamers.

Pro Gamers are participants in Esports which is not the same as typical athletic sports.

Lets just call them E-Mind Athletes and make our own definition as they are not traditional Athletes.

- A person who sits in one place for long periods of time not exerting any physical movement besides moving their thumbs and using mental strength to overcome opponents on electronic devices.
Spoken like somebody who never played in a big tournament.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Of course.

You've never competed in big money spelling tournaments against other spelling athletes.

You're just a casual speller, you wouldn't understand the toll it takes.
But, I know enough to get by.

Are you a spelling bee champion? Have you competed in spelling bees on a big stage? Or just say, your middle school in front of the rest of the class? If not, you really can’t offer anything but an opinion.

Casual gamers would get mauled in any tournament against even the worst entrants.

Too bad there’s no auto correct in video games,eh?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I Iove Dr D but also fully recognize as far as streamers go he's not actually that good at WZ. Obviously he's very good, but compared to to Aydan, ZLaner, Huskkers, Tommey etc he's a step below. Quite a few steps below those guys actually. Extremely entertaining though.
A lot of steps below those guys.

Aydans kind of washed up, tho.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Are you a spelling bee champion? Have you competed in spelling bees on a big stage? Or just say, your middle school in front of the rest of the class? If not, you really can’t offer anything but an opinion.

:facepalm:

Casual gamers would get mauled in any tournament against even the worst entrants.

Same with spelling bees, so it must be a sport?

Reactions: 93LEAFS

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Spoken like somebody who never played in a big tournament.

smh.

spoken like someone who is being spoon fed L after L but still taking it like a champ.

I like your spirit but Pro Gamers are not Athletes. they are as athletic as Pro Chess players, Pro spelling bee contestants, Pro beauty pageant contestants (which are probably actually more physically athletic then gamers).

They deserve their own genre/lane. they are E-Athletes that use their mental strengths to succeed. They do not fit into the category of athlete as far as a majority are concerned or how it is defined in society.

Reactions: Kurtz and 93LEAFS

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
But, I know enough to get by.

Too bad there’s no auto correct in video games,eh?
By this logic, you can't really say anything on this topic either unless you're both a "traditional" professional athlete in a physical non-gaming sport AND a professional in competitive videogames, because you'd need experience in both to compare them and deem them similar. Are you?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad