Favourite NON Leaf

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
We all love the leafs, and can make an argument as to why we like anyone on the Leafs, past, present and future. However, every once and a while there are a few players around the league that catch our attention and admiration. So the question is in the title....who is your favourite non-leaf? No rules, they could have played for us, or could have scored on their own net to kadri's great approval. Lets hear.

Mine - Ovechkin... This guy literally steam rolled into the league and for lack of a better arguement, he hasn't stopped. A few years he looked absolutely unstoppable. I feel like this is such a typical answer, saying Crosby, Ovechkin, Lindros... However, hearing about the Crosby and Ovechkin drafts is what got me into the whole draft process to begin with. Although they were from different years, they started their careers the same season. I turned on the T.V one day before work and the way they were talking about this "foreign specimen" peeked my interest. Ovechkin opened his career with two goals, my dad who doesn't get wow'd easily kind of looked at me with curiosity as to who this guy was. I don't know who I can compare him with... possible the Russian Eric Lindros, but man I love this guy. Whenever the Leafs aren't in the P/O's I cheer for caps... LOL FML. Could this be his year?

Reactions: saffronleaf

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Brad Marchand. Super skilled, super pest. Love how he plays dirty.. This isn't the good citizen league. He can do it all. Also like Gallagher.. Kid has the heart of a lion.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
IMG_0891.JPG

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Great picks so far. Wasn't surprised Marchand's name came up. Like the way he plays too. Don't like when he targets peoples head on purpose but playing hard that results in almost certain injury isn't as bad as people proclaim. Everyone has a responsibility on the ice

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Phil.

Homer bias is there of course, but his wrist shot is just unreal. Like it kinda irks me when people gush about Matthews "release", because while its good, Matthew's release isnt actually that amazing.... its his accuracy and toe drag that is ridiculous.

Phil didnt have the same accuracy as Matthews, but his release was the best I have seen (wrist shot wise). A lot of the time he wouldnt even have to cradle the puck back and then shoot. He would just lift his leg and move his stick forward and crank it

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Good selection of Connor McDavid, I will amend my choices, Orr, Boeser and yes, McDavid. Kid was an NHLer when I saw him live at age 14. Definitely a modern day ORR.

I love the Leafs, too much, I have a Maple Leafs jersey number four with orr on the back, you have inspired me, I will get a Leafs jersey with mcdavid on the back

Reactions: Dzonna

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
You're absolutely right... his release is unreal. For someone with a meh, body type his speed is too dangerous. That being said... I mentioned this in another thread. Pens capitalized on our need to dump Phil even though he was clearly our highlight player. A pseudo example of this is Kane right now on Buffalo. Kings just grabbed Phanueff. Who can we catch in an off year or two and use that player for a cup run.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Wow, that's a tough question. It's tough for me to have favourites on the enemy teams. There are players obviously that I like and would love it if they became Leafs, but to say I have any "favourites" is tough. Maybe, if I had to choose one, it would be John Tavares. I love big #1 franchise type of centres.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Yup Phil is up there for me but my favourites are:
  • Drew Doughty
  • Ryan Suter
  • Roman Josi
see a theme here?

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
Some people are just gifted in some ways. Whether athletically or intellectually. Kessel is one of those people,

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Like you can see why Phil was seen as a prodigy like Crosby. Obviously he ended up being a tier (or two) lower, but the talent level is just crazy.

Reactions: leaffaninvancouver

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad