Favourite Habs player in the post-1993 era: #3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I voted Markov for longevity/impact. Kovalev was a really fun ride though I probably “liked” him more in that sense, but I can’t vote against Markov here.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
No issues with Subban going 2nd...I personally voted for Markov but it was close between him and Subban.

This is a poll for fan favourites, has nothing to do with talent...Subban did a fantastic job winning this city's heart.

Reactions: DAChampion

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Does anyone find it weird the lack of love Price is getting? It's so strange.
I guess some folks grew up loving Koivu... To me he was always a 2nd tier guy. Subban and Price were the first real elite talents we had after the Roy years. So they both get my vote. But I understand the love for Saku and Markov. Both were long time guys.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Markov will be 3rd by a comfortable margin, and then Kovalev will be 4th by a comfortable margin. So far, there have not been any close calls. I wonder if we'll get some soon.

Though if the current votes are a good predictor, Price will be 5th by a comfortable margin.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Patrice Brisebois has 1000 games....

Why din't you voted for him?

Because size doesn't matter it's all about what you do with it.
You have got to be kidding... acre you seriously comparing 1000 games of General Andrei Markov to 1000 games of Patrice "Breeze by" Brisebois?

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I guess some folks grew up loving Koivu... To me he was always a 2nd tier guy. Subban and Price were the first real elite talents we had after the Roy years. So they both get my vote. But I understand the love for Saku and Markov. Both were long time guys.
Koivu was as elite as these guys though, youre looking at very short peak where they sat at the top for all of them.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No issues with Subban going 2nd...I personally voted for Markov but it was close between him and Subban.

This is a poll for fan favourites, has nothing to do with talent...Subban did a fantastic job winning this city's heart.
I kinda do, mainly because Andrei played 600 more games as a hab than PK.

MolleSon

May 21, 2018
My choice: Markov... all his career with the Habs. A dominant top 3D... and a 162th pick!!! Kovalev I loved, he's my #2. And then the saviour, Carey Price. A pleasure to see how he masters the technical basis.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Koivu was as elite as these guys though, youre looking at very short peak where they sat at the top for all of them.
Koivu was never at the level of a Subban or Price. Never close. You could argue that he was at an Andrei Markov level but even there I don't see it.

Subban and Price were/are on HOF trajectory for their careers. Now maybe that won't happen (Price for example had a terrible year last year) as they're in the middle of their respective careers and have a long way to go but Koivu was never that dominant. He was never a player near their level. He was never a top ten scorer for Pete's sake.

The sad truth is that he was the best of a bad lot for a long time. That doesn't mean he wasn't a great player or that there were reasons not to love the guy. I love Brendan Gallagher for example but he's not a star player either.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Koivu was never at the level of a Subban or Price. Never close. You could argue that he was at an Andrei Markov level but even there I don't see it.

Subban and Price were/are on HOF trajectory for their careers. Now maybe that won't happen (Price for example had a terrible year last year) as they're in the middle of their respective careers and have a long way to go but Koivu was that dominant. He was never a player near their level. He was never a top ten scorer for Pete's sake.

The sad truth is that he was the best of a bad lot for a long time. That doesn't mean he wasn't a great player or that there were reasons not to love the guy. I love Brendan Gallagher for example but he's not a star player either.

Koivu was less well surrounded than any of the players. He was regularly playing with awful wingers, and the standard topic of conversation when he was here was "when are we getting a winger for Koivu?" In 2006, he scored 75 points playing with Higgins and Ryder, that's how good he was.

I have absolutely no doubt that on a better team, with better wingers, and perhaps fewer injuries, Koivu would have had multiple point-per-game seasons.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Koivu was less well surrounded than any of the players. He was regularly playing with awful wingers, and the standard topic of conversation when he was here was "when are we getting a winger for Koivu?" In 2006, he scored 75 points playing with Higgins and Ryder, that's how good he was.

I have absolutely no doubt that on a better team, with better wingers, and perhaps fewer injuries, Koivu would have had multiple point-per-game seasons.
Fair enough. But he was never a star player the way Subban and Price are. They're on a different tier. Even Markov is a cut above Koivu.

And if you're going to say that about Koivu then you could say the same thing about Max Paccioretty. He'd have put up better numbers with a real center. But that doesn't mean I'd have considered him a star player like Price and PK.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Subban was not surrounded very well. I mean he played with Gorges, Murray, Gill, Bouillon, ... He played for a short while with Markov but Koivu played for a short while with Recchi who is a HOF player.

I like Koivu but as a player he's not on the same level as Subban.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Subban was not surrounded very well. I mean he played with Gorges, Murray, Gill, Bouillon, ... He played for a short while with Markov but Koivu played for a short while with Recchi who is a HOF player.

Subban and Price at the very least were at or near the top of their respective positions. Markov was arguably a top ten at his.

Where does Koivu fit on that scale? Does he crack the top 20? I don't even think he's the best forward we've had since '93. Kovalev was better. Then you've got Turgeon, Damphousse and Max who you could make a case for.

People loved Koivu. That's indisputable. Many grew up with him as being the best player on bad teams. But let's not confuse that with playing ability. He was never an elite player the way those other guys were.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I really dont agree with the notion that Koivu and Markov are below Subban and Price in quality. All four of them were elite. Price reached the highest peak for sure, but hes a goalie and goalies are volatile. Subban benefited a whole lot from weak conpetition in his Norris year (even though I tried to convince everyone it didnt matter at the time :laugh:) and even then his win is one of the worst in recent memory, probably only bested by Lidstrom stealing the Norris away from... well, Markov.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Subban and Price at the very least were at or near the top of their respective positions. Markov was arguably a top ten at his.

Where does Koivu fit on that scale? Does he crack the top 20? I don't even think he's the best forward we've had since '93. Kovalev was better. Then you've got Turgeon, Damphousse and Max who you could make a case for.

People loved Koivu. That's indisputable. Many grew up with him as being the best player on bad teams. But let's not confuse that with playing ability. He was never an elite player the way those other guys were.
Markov was "arguably" top ten? Come on now, he was as clear a top 10 as Subban ever was.

Disageee about Koivu not being wlite too, thats sone strong words you got there. 70 points seasons, leading the league as a sophomore, coming back from cancer wihout missing a beat...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Subban got a lot of assists, in part, because the forwards that he passed the puck to could score.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
For me, how ‘elite’ a player is doesn’t really come into the equation for me in these polls. Granted, I loved Lapierre, but it’s hard to like him more than someone like Koivu given the different roles and effects they had on the Habs. But among the most notable, it’s not a deal breaker.

For example, I liked Souray more than Subban. I was more upset when we lost Souray than when Subban was traded. Subban is clearly a better defenseman than Souray.

I find I like two types of players:

1) really cerebral players that think the game on a different level (Damphousse, Richer, Kovalev, Price)...I’m even willing to forgive them if their effort isn’t consistent.

2) players with skill and grit that are good teammates and stand up for their team (Souray). I'd probably also have Weber in my top 5 if he'd been here for more than 2 years.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Markov was "arguably" top ten? Come on now, he was as clear a top 10 as Subban ever was.
Okay let's say top ten with him at his peak.

And given how good he was late in his career I'd say Markov actually has an outside shot at the HOF because he was very good for a long period of time. I'd say he's at a level above Koivu for sure but not at the peak of Price/Subban.

Unlike those other guys though, Markov's career is pretty much complete. He was good for a long period of time and we don't have to wait and see with him. Borderline HOF candidate who I think will make it in eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00