Favorite & Worst Moments as a Devils Fan

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Best playoffs [Lets play a game and try to identify what event I am referring to!]
1) Randy McKay - OT goal vs Bruins in 95
2) Neal Broten - 95 finals game 4 goal
3) Claude Lemieux - 1995
4) Sergei Brylin - 95 finals game 4 goal
5) 6 shots against - 01 Leafs game (6?)
6) 3-1 come back especially Game 6 (my first playoff win in person) - 2000 ECF
7) Petr Sykora - 2001 game 5 winner with 3 minutes left
8) Grant Marshall - 3OT goal vs Lightning '03 second round
9) Jeff Friesen - Game 7 2003 finals
10) Jeff Friesen - Game 7 2003 ECF
11) John Madden - 2006 game 1 hattrick v Rangers
12) Brian Gionta -?
13) 84 total shots, David Clarkson -?
14) Dianius Zubrus...or was it really Parise? - game 2 2010 winning goal
15) Travis Zajac - 2012 game 6 OT goal v Fla
16) Adam Henrqiue - 2012 ECF clinching goal
17) Adam Larsson - 2012 game 2 tying goal v Flyers
18) David Clarkson - 2012 diving on top of net goal v Flyers
19) Ilya Kovalchuk - PP goal game 6 ECF 2012
20) Alexei Ponikarovsky - 2012 game 3 OT goal v Flyers
21) David Clarkson -?
22) David Clarkson -?
23) Ryan Carter - 2012 game 5 winning goal v Rangers
24) Ryan Carter - 2012 game 6 first goal v Rangers
25) Ilya Kovalchuk - 2012 game 3 v Flyers goal
26) Adam Henrique - 2012 ECQF clinching goal

Few tough ones for me (which are probably easy)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I wanted him the years in between too!:cry:

I also wanted him back in 00/01 but him walking was another ''We've decided to give some otha playas in ou awganization a chance at that role'' decision from Lou. A few players from that team said if Claude was kept in 00/01 they think we could have that series against the Avalanche.

Unfortunately I think that was a financial decision to not pursue Claude in 2000. Arnott/Niedermayer were due new contracts that offseason and (as you mentioned) held out. Lemieux would have been an upgrade over Bob Corkum (who did get the GWG in game 2 I think). Our biggest problem was Sean O'Donnell not being able to fit in as well as Vladimir Malakhov did the previous playoff.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Unfortunately I think that was a financial decision to not pursue Claude in 2000. Arnott/Niedermayer were due new contracts that offseason and (as you mentioned) held out. Lemieux would have been an upgrade over Bob Corkum (who did get the GWG in game 2 I think). Our biggest problem was Sean O'Donnell not being able to fit in as well as Vladimir Malakhov did the previous playoff.

Maybe it was a financial decision (Can't say Sykora was) the decision not re sign Mogilny was a financial decision I think. And yes **** that POS O'Donnell. Hate that idiot, and then his dumb comments during the lockout this year infuriated me. That guy was a joke for us in the 01 SCF.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
Elias' first game back after hepatitis. Circumstances made this so special to me. An awful start to the new NHL with the M,M&M debactle and all. He was such a sight for soar eyes and showed us again why he is sucha special player.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Was to young for 94 to have really bugged me, so least favorite has to go Carolina Game 7...that was a kick in the balls like no other, especially considering how promising that team seemed.

Favorite is tough too, I remember all the cup years and how awesome the parking lot parties were, but I have to go with Game 6 ECF last year because I was actually at the game. Just being there live and watching The Rock just go ******* puts that over the top. Even if we won the cup last year I'd still put that Game 6 as my favorite (unless I somehow got into the Game 7 that never was)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Okay how's this one?

Best playoffs [Lets play a game and try to identify what event I am referring to!]
1) Randy McKay - '95 Game 4 Boston OT
2) Neal Broten - '95 Game 4 Pittsburgh OT
3) Claude Lemieux - '95 Game 5 Philly
4) Sergei Brylin - '95 Game 4 Detroit
5) 6 shots against - '00 Game 6 Leafs
6) 3-1 come back especially Game 6 (my first playoff win in person) - '00 Flyer series
7) Petr Sykora - '01 Game 4 Avs?
8) Grant Marshall - '03 Game 5 Lightning 3 OT
9) Jeff Friesen - '03 Game 7 Senators
10) Jeff Friesen - '03 Game 7 Ducks
11) John Madden - '06 Game 2 Rangers toupee game
12) Brian Gionta - '06 Game 4 Rangers
13) 84 total shots, David Clarkson - '09 Game 5 Hurricanes Clarkson with the only goal
14) Dianius Zubrus...or was it really Parise? - '10 Game 2 Flyers
15) Travis Zajac - '12 Game 6 Panthers
16) Adam Henrqiue - '12 Game 7 Panthers
17) Adam Larsson - '12 Game 2 Flyers tying goal
18) David Clarkson - '12 Game 2 Flyers on top of the net
19) Ilya Kovalchuk - '12 Game 3 Flyers pass on #20
20) Alexei Ponikarovsky - '12 Game 3 Flyers OT winner
21) David Clarkson - '12 Game 5 Flyers Bryzgalov freebee
22) David Clarkson - '12 Game 2 Rangers winner
23) Ryan Carter - '12 Game 4 goal? I know he scored in Game 2 as well but you said chronological
24) Ryan Carter - '12 Game 5 Rangers winner
25) Ilya Kovalchuk - '12 Game 6 Rangers PP goal
26) Adam Henrique - It's over

Last edited:

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
As for the worst - aside from some of the obvious (94, 09) - I remember what a gut punch it felt like when it was officially announced that Stevens wouldn't come back.

Dano was gone, Nieds had just signed with the Ducks, it was inevitable... knew it was coming by the time the lockout was over, but that kind of made it worse.

If it wasn't for the lockout, we'd at least be able to give the captain a proper send off.
The lockout ending came with a bad taste in my mouth.

As for the best - beyond the Cups. I'll second Patty's first game back after dealing with hepatitis. I was home from college on break and getting tickets very, very last minute. Might have taken someone's season tickets??

Anyway, I jumped so far out of my seat when he got a point that game. I missed him - absolute favorite player. After everything else that happened post lockout, I was afraid I'd never get to see him play again either.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
If it wasn't for the lockout, we'd at least be able to give the captain a proper send off.
The lockout ending came with a bad taste in my mouth.

hehe :sarcasm:

Agreed about Stevens, it was such a lost opportunity for him to go out like that. I'm so glad Marty is going to get a proper send off, hopefully after another Championship ;)

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Best...The first playoff game in 88 was amazing...Seeing them win both home cups in person . Being @ game 7 in Philly after coming back from 3-1 Elias with the stick lift on McGillis and Henrique,,Its over but that was on TV for me.

WORST...Messier game 6 1994....The building was in a frenzy then Kovalev scored late 2nd and the air was sucked out of the building....and we know what happened after that. Game 7 two nights later and the game 7 against Carolina .Gawd that was awful.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Actually, one really great memory that I haven't heard anyone mention was when Patty broke the points record, and the crowd gave him the 'thank you Patty' chant in the same game as Marty breaking the record. I thought that, along with the Dano 2003 and Stevens jersey retire is as close as this franchise has gotten to Paul O'Neil fan awesomeness. I was proud of my fellow Devs fans that day.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

:eviltongu

Actually, one really great memory that I haven't heard anyone mention was when Patty broke the points record, and the crowd gave him the 'thank you Patty' chant in the same game as Marty breaking the record. I thought that, along with the Dano 2003 and Stevens jersey retire is as close as this franchise has gotten to Paul O'Neil fan awesomeness. I was proud of my fellow Devs fans that day.

oh you *******, I was all ready to go to bed and now you've made me pull up that game to watch in its entirety :laugh:

Status Quo*

One of my favorite games I was ever at was game 1 '06 against the Rags. 6-1 win and Patty with 6 points. What a ****in night.

coolstorybro

Jul 2, 2006
NEW GUNSWICK NJ
toss up for favorite in the last 10 years for me is between:

madden hattrick against the rags in 06

the queen throwing the towel off his shoulder after getting pulled

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
Best: OT win in playoffs against the Rangers, I freaked out, I was throwing things around, yelling a screaming like a little girl meeting Justin Bibs!

Worst: 01 loss in the finals, at prom did not get any action that night. 03 Con finals against Ottawa, GF fav team is Ottawa, did not get any that night either. If I think about NJ devisl play havok on my sex life!

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

By far the biggest problem that playoff was the Randy McKay broke his hand. Once that happened, we were toast.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
By far the biggest problem that playoff was the Randy McKay broke his hand. Once that happened, we were toast.

Marty was very very very very bad in that series. Which is why I don't understand when people say ''Marty's best days are over'' because I haven't seen him play as bad as that series except maybe a regular season game here and there over the years. Or the first three or four games of the Tampa Bay series in 07. He gave up at least one, sometimes two bad goals a game for much of that series. I'm not willing to go as far as to say he cost us the series though by any means. Roy shut us out two times that series. Plus two long playoff runs like that, and the team dicking around against Carolina when they should have swept them or at least took them in 5. They also let Toronto hang on for too long also. Can't blame players for tiring out, especially after the run the year before.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Marty was very very very very bad in that series. Which is why I don't understand when people say ''Marty's best days are over'' because I haven't seen him play as bad as that series except maybe a regular season game here and there over the years. Or the first three or four games of the Tampa Bay series in 07. He gave up at least one, sometimes two bad goals a game for much of that series. I'm not willing to go as far as to say he cost us the series though by any means. Roy shut us out two times that series. Plus two long playoff runs like that, and the team dicking around against Carolina when they should have swept them or at least took them in 5. They also let Toronto hang on for too long also. Can't blame players for tiring out, especially after the run the year before.

I disagree. Marty did not play all that badly. Was he great? Sometimes. Go back and look at the goals and he was dealing with screens, breakaways, getting bumped and an Avalanche team with a lot of firepower.

With the exception of Game6, which was the big letdown and a poor game for him and a GREAT game from Roy, I think he outplayed Roy over the bulk of the series.

It just doesn't seem that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad