Favorite & Worst Moments as a Devils Fan

NHL Fanatik*

I didn't see a thread that fit well with this topic, but if I am wrong please place it in the correct one. Thanks!...

Doing this for the pure conversation and nostalgia, but what are some of your favorite and worst moments as a Devils fan? EXCLUDING the obvious Stanley Cup wins for favorite moments.

Favorites: - Trading for Kovalchuk
- Henrique knocking off the Rangers in East Conf. Finals :nod:

Worst: - Scott Stevens retiring, was my favorite player ever, so that was a sad day.
- Carolina Game 7......

Just a couple. What are yours?!

Welcome2Hell

Aug 9, 2010
NutleyNJ
Favorites: Henrique it's over, the comeback vs Toronto, Being in Florida for game 7
Worst: losing to them, Being at game 7 Carolina

NHL Fanatik*

Favorites: Henrique it's over, the comeback vs Toronto, Being in Florida for game 7
Worst: losing to them, Being at game 7 Carolina

That Florida Game 7 must have been really cool, I could only imagine!

drewbee30

Apr 22, 2012
Brick, NJ
Worst: Up till last year it was Matteau. Now game 7 against Carolina.

Favorite: 15 years old @ game 4 1995 cup finals, Henrique

NHL Fanatik*

Worst: Up till last year it was Matteau. Now game 7 against Carolina.

Favorite: 15 years old @ game 4 1995 cup finals, Henrique

Now that you mentioned that, I actually forgot about Matteau.........

That Henrique goal must of had more of an impact than I thought. :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
1. Arnott SCF clinching goal - I know you said no SCF wins but.......On a personal level, 1999 was a rough year for me as a college sophomore. In 2000, I stopped sulking, recommitted myself to working hard, and turned my life around. So it was nice to have that playoff run to coincide as a memory.

2. Game 7 ECF vs Philly - The Stevens/Lindros hit still feels a bit surreal. I rushed home from class and missed the start of the game. It was 1-0 when I got home and the Lindros hit seemingly happened just as I got settled on the couch. When Elias scored in the 3rd, I was in complete stunned silence..........

3. Game 7 ECF vs Ottawa - ........the Friesen goal on the other hand. I let out an incredibly awkward celebratory scream which probably sounded like a cat being run over. At that exact moment, a roommate (who I didn't know very well) walked right past my room. I like to think that was his one memory of me.

4. Langenbrunner goal against Montreal in the final regular season game of 2005-06 to clinch the division. That season was bizarre and the Devils came roaring back in the second half. We were down 3-1 (?) going into the third period I think and the Devils won in regulation.

Unfortunately those are all pretty obvious choices. I have some other random memories from back in the day since I could only watch the Devils when they were on ESPN.

- Patrik Elias hat trick against Colorado in 2000-01 regular season. I think he got the first two goals against Patrick Roy and completed the hatty against David Aebischer.

- Randy McKay and John Madden both with 4 goals in a game against Pittsburgh.

- Petr Sykora falling to us at the draft. I had kinda gotten into draft in 1994, but 1995 was the first year that I watched in earnest.

Worst:

- Trading away Claude Lemieux over a contract dispute. Losing to Ottawa on the last day of that season to miss the playoffs.

- The Adam Graves goal to knock us out in 1997. I was half-heartedly studying for my AP Physics exam which I took the next day. I didn't pass and have now forever associated Adam Graves and physics.

- 1999 first round loss to Pittsburgh. While the Arnott goal coincided with a good time in my life. That first round loss coincided with me nearly being on academic probation and giving little effort.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Excluding Stanley Cup moments?

Worst: 2009 Game 7. Woof.

Best: Henrique, it's over! The Toronto comeback was awesome too and I loved the Kovalchuk OT winner vs the Pens in 2011 when we were on that crazy streak.

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim
Favorite: Henrique, it's over! Best non-championship win ever, imo. I thought they were done after going down 2 games to 1, but they reel off 3 wins and end it like that? Unforgettable. Also, Game 4 versus Detroit in 95, because that was the first hockey game I ever watched. It was when I found out that NJ even had a team :laugh:

Worst: All the games I've attended. :( NJ has lost every regular season and playoff game I've ever been to, all but one of them by a single goal in OT or SO (other was by loss by two). Worst of those would be Game 3 2003 in Anaheim. Devils lost and Brodeur scored on himself. I'm still glad I can say I've been to a Stanley Cup Final game, but it was just another in a long line of disappointments when it came to the outcome.

NHL Fanatik*

1. Arnott SCF clinching goal - I know you said no SCF wins but.......On a personal level, 1999 was a rough year for me as a college sophomore. In 2000, I stopped sulking, recommitted myself to working hard, and turned my life around. So it was nice to have that playoff run to coincide as a memory.

2. Game 7 ECF vs Philly - The Stevens/Lindros hit still feels a bit surreal. I rushed home from class and missed the start of the game. It was 1-0 when I got home and the Lindros hit seemingly happened just as I got settled on the couch. When Elias scored in the 3rd, I was in complete stunned silence..........

3. Game 7 ECF vs Ottawa - ........the Friesen goal on the other hand. I let out an incredibly awkward celebratory scream which probably sounded like a cat being run over. At that exact moment, a roommate (who I didn't know very well) walked right past my room. I like to think that was his one memory of me.

4. Langenbrunner goal against Montreal in the final regular season game of 2005-06 to clinch the division. That season was bizarre and the Devils came roaring back in the second half. We were down 3-1 (?) going into the third period I think and the Devils won in regulation.

Unfortunately those are all pretty obvious choices. I have some other random memories from back in the day since I could only watch the Devils when they were on ESPN.

- Patrik Elias hat trick against Colorado in 2000-01 regular season. I think he got the first two goals against Patrick Roy and completed the hatty against David Aebischer.

- Randy McKay and John Madden both with 4 goals in a game against Pittsburgh.

- Petr Sykora falling to us at the draft. I had kinda gotten into draft in 1994, but 1995 was the first year that I watched in earnest.

Worst:

- Trading away Claude Lemieux over a contract dispute. Losing to Ottawa on the last day of that season to miss the playoffs.

- The Adam Graves goal to knock us out in 1997. I was half-heartedly studying for my AP Physics exam which I took the next day. I didn't pass and have now forever associated Adam Graves and physics.

- 1999 first round loss to Pittsburgh. While the Arnott goal coincided with a good time in my life. That first round loss coincided with me nearly being on academic probation and giving little effort.

Not to be mean, but the Graves and physics connection made me laugh :laugh:

And the Stevens/Lindros hit... oof. Loved it.

NHL Fanatik*

Favorite: Henrique, it's over! Best non-championship win ever, imo. I thought they were done after going down 2 games to 1, but they reel off 3 wins and end it like that? Unforgettable. Also, Game 4 versus Detroit in 95, because that was the first hockey game I ever watched. It was when I found out that NJ even had a team :laugh:

Worst: All the games I've attended. :( NJ has lost every regular season and playoff game I've ever been to, all but one of them by a single goal in OT or SO (other was by loss by two). Worst of those would be Game 3 2003 in Anaheim. Devils lost and Brodeur scored on himself. I'm still glad I can say I've been to a Stanley Cup Final game, but it was just another in a long line of disappointments when it came to the outcome.

You must buy the Rival ticket packages...

Lmao I'm kidding. But if what you say about every game you attend is a lose, that must be the WORST... Stop going this season so we can make the playoffs :laugh:

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Best : Henrique it's over

Maddens hat-trick vs the Rangers in the 06 1st round

Game 7 03 vs Ottawa...we all know this one

Worst.

Losing the 01 finals...there really was no excuse.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Not to be mean, but the Graves and physics connection made me laugh :laugh:

And the Stevens/Lindros hit... oof. Loved it.

I had no business taking that exam. My teacher was awful, but it's more fun blaming Adam Graves.

I've been on HF since like 1997. I remember joking on the previous incarnation of the message board that Stevens would get Lindros. I couldn't believe it actually happened. (trying to dig up the photo of my McFarlane figure re-enactment that I still have at home)

I went to games 4 and 6 in Anaheim. That Paul Kariya goal seemed like it might be one of those immortal moments in NHL history. But then the Devils won game 7 and Kariya signed with Colorado three weeks later.

The games in LA were on weekdays last year and I would have had a tough time getting time off work. Since I already had gone to the Anaheim games, I didn't have as big an urge to go last year.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
i was too young to remember 1994.

2001 was a sad ending, but since i was in person for the ******** against carolina, i pick that one as the worst.

Best:
2003 cup
2012 ECF

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
I am going to limit it to games I was fortunate enough to see in person.

If we are excluding SCF games, then last year's Game 6 was probably my favorite ... especially since I was able to have two of my sons at the game with me.

The night that the referees refused to work the playoff game (1988 against Boston) was pretty memorable.

Was pretty cool to see Marty score into the empty net against Montreal in the playoffs in 1997

Most memorable regular season game, by far, was the night Marty broke Roy's records for wins (and Patty broke the team points record).

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
I am going to limit it to games I was fortunate enough to see in person.

If we are excluding SCF games, then last year's Game 6 was probably my favorite ... especially since I was able to have two of my sons at the game with me.

The night that the referees refused to work the playoff game (1988 against Boston) was pretty memorable.

Was pretty cool to see Marty score into the empty net against Montreal in the playoffs in 1997

Most memorable regular season game, by far, was the night Marty broke Roy's records for wins (and Patty broke the team points record).

Forgot about worst moments (again, in person). Game 6 against Colorado in 2001 ... especially since they went on to lose Game 7. I now remember Game 5 against Dallas in 2000 somewhat fondly, since it was such a classic game and they still won the Cup (although it would have been nice to have seen them win it in person, like in 1995 and 2003).

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
Off the top of my head....

Worst:
4.) Basically the entire late 90's. Top seed teams ******** the bed in the playoffs.
3.) Missing playoffs in 1996.
2.) 2001 SCF Game 7 -- What a wasted opportunity
1.) Matteau, Matteau, Matteau -- Junior in HS with nothing but Ranger fan friends = misery for a month.
And looking back, we were oh-so-close to winning 5 cups in 9 years and being a dynasty for the ages.

Best:
4.) 2003 ECF Game 7 -- Marshall to Friesen
3.) Henrique, It's Over -- Maybe if we won the Cup, I'd put this at #2. Still a great moment.
2.) 2000 ECF Game 7 -- Completing the comeback.
1.) 1995 SCF Game 4 -- We were finally validated as a franchise and as a fan base.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That Florida Game 7 must have been really cool, I could only imagine!

I was there too. When Florida tied it on Zidlicky's DOG penalty the place roared so loud you couldn't hear the goal horn at all. ****in Volch pushed a Panther into Marty, and I thought it should have been goalie interference. I was flipping out until they showed the replay that Volch pushed him in.

Man I could make a huge list here. I'm gonna narrow it down to moments I saw in person rather than overall.

Best was probably game 4 of the 95 SCF since I was there. Honorable mention of game 7 of the 03 SCF.

Worst is game 7 against Carolina last year. Then it's a tie between game 5 vs the Rangers in 97, and game 3 vs the Panthers last year.

NHL Fanatik*

best: kovy

worst: maclean era

Just the thought of the Maclean era makes me sick...

And it's not exactly a Devils memory, but I can't help but mention when the NYR didn't put in Gaborik for the SO against Philly. As a Devils fan, that was a beautiful sight.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Favorites:
- 2000 come from behind down 3-1 to beat the Flyers in the ECF
- '95 Mike Peluso bawling with joy on the bench so bad he had to miss a shift.
- Knowing Sergei Nemchinov retired with more playoff wins as a Devil than his former team.
- Everything about Pat Burns, especially him dressing Daneyko for game 7 in 2003 finals.

Worst:
- The Johnny Mac half year.
- Messier's guarantee.
- Seeing Stephane Richer back after being handed around to Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and a shell of his former self.
- Marty getting shafted of the Conn Smythe by Giguere.
- 2001 game 7 cup finals.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Favorite: HFboards road trip to Nashville in 2011 organized by CJ. My first live devils game ever. Cutting 0-2 deficit in the 3rd and winning in SO.

Worst: Hiring of Jmac

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I actually hated game 6 of the 01 SCF more than game 7. I saw the game 7 loss coming after we didn't take care of business in game 6. Game 6 at home with a chance to clinch right there on home ice. Gave up a bad goal, and then stopped playing. Shutout by Roy (A particularly easy one for him) 4-0 on home ice. I saw bad things happening when the series got back to Denver. The 5-0 loss in game 1 hurt pretty bad too once the series had ended.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Man I could make a huge list here. I'm gonna narrow it down to moments I saw in person rather than overall.

Yeah my list is different for both too. I can't name three times I was more proud of the Devils than Game 7 in Ottawa. Probably the most annoyed I've ever been not at a game was the el foldo in Game 6 2001. Most dispirited was when a one-legged Jagr scored late in regulation, then in OT and I knew we were done early again in '99. At that point it really did feel like wtf were all these regular seasons for?

Now as for games I've actually been to - fortunate enough to have been at Game 6 ECF last year so that's an easy pick for most memorable non-Cup game. And unfortunate enough to have been at Game 7 2009. It felt like the world's longest train ride home that night and I literally didn't say a word for about an hour after the game (being by myself didn't help but still) and didn't get much sleep that night. Game 3 first round last year was actually higher on my 'annoyed' list, but fortunately the subsequent playoff run dulled the memory of the pain that night.

Best was probably game 4 of the 95 SCF since I was there. Honorable mention of game 7 of the 03 SCF.

Worst is game 7 against Carolina last year. Then it's a tie between game 5 vs the Rangers in 97, and game 3 vs the Panthers last year.

lol pretty much the same list for me if Cup wins are included. Except I wasn't at '95. I was hopped up on meds sick in 2003 but I still dragged myself to Game 7 :laugh: I think in hindsight last year glossed over the pain of the Gomez/Avery punking on home ice a couple years before but that was annoying too at the time. I kind of expected it though given how much they punked us that year, '97 was more annoying from a Ranger-Devil standpoint cause we had the better team that year and choked, keeping alive the narrative we could never beat them in a big series for the next decade.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad