Favorite & Worst Moments as a Devils Fan

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Man game 7 in Ottawa. I thought they were gonna do to us what we did to Philly 3 years before. Come back from down 3 games to 1 to win 3 games in a row and the series. I remember Langs I think missing a wide open net. Then some breakout with Ottawa scoring minutes into the game. Bill Clement ripped Marty on that one, and then ESPN put up a stat on the screen about how both teams were like 8-0 when scoring first in the playoffs. I immediately felt deflated. Then after we were winning 2-1 early in the 3rd the Friesen turnover goal completely deflated me after I got some faith back.

Thanks to Redden, Friesen scored the game winner with just 2 or 3 minutes remaining. I felt very confident though that we would hold on to win after that. I also thought of that sequence every time a Devils fan said in 08 ''Lou should sign Wade Redden this Summer!'':laugh:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Worst: Tie - Anytime 1980s until 87/88, and 1994 Game 7 OT against the Rangers

Favorite: 1995 Stanley Cup - The Devils could win 1000 more Stanley Cups, and this will always be the best one.

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
Not really a big moment but I really enjoyed when the Devils went on a tear following Johnny Mac's firing. I know we didn't make the playoffs but I still enjoyed the run while it lasted.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not really a big moment but I really enjoyed when the Devils went on a tear following Johnny Mac's firing. I know we didn't make the playoffs but I still enjoyed the run while it lasted.

I'd love to see a run like that right now. Not that we need a run that big right now, but I would love to see something similar. Unfortunately we've lost the guy who led the team during that time for the time being.:(

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
The best are easy but here are some bad in-person memories.

1996 Last game of the season, losing to Ottawa for Christ sake and Tom Freaking Chorske. Ugh.

1999 Game 7. Mario and Jagr on a 2 on 0? Really? This is worse than 2009 because we lost a 1-goal lead with a minute left in Game 6 (up 3-2), lost in OT and then shat the bed in Game 7.

2000 Game 4 vs. Philthy. My brother and I almost got arrested after this game on the way out after listening to those dbag fans.

2001 Game 6 SCF. 2nd worst game I ever went to. Marty choked on that Foote "slapper" after Gomez' goal was nullified by a kicking motion (a play I still have never seen footage of). The walk back over the bridge (remember that?) was like a funeral procession.

2002 Game 6 vs Carolina. I am still sick about losing that series. 2009 sucked for so many other reasons obviously, but that one sticks out for me.

2009 Game 2. Tim Gleason? Really? Loser probably hasn't scored a goal since then.

But the worst: 1991 game 6 vs Pitt. Up in the series 3-2, down I believe 3 or 4 nothing, storm back, appear to tie it up but dickbag Bill McCreary called Boschman for kicking in the tying goal. That call was so bad it led to the NHL adopting replay. There is no way we lose that game if that goal stands and Mario doesn't get his 1st Cup and then you never know.

Some under the radar good ones:

1992 Game 3 vs Rags. Richer scored, we're up 2-1 in the series and chanting 19-40! all game long and afterwards. Also caught a puck that night.

1995 McKay's OT winner vs Blaine Lacher. First OT win for me in person. Sick.

2000 Game 6 vs Toronto. 6 Shots!

2000 SCF Game 1. The Ed Belfour Cold Medicine Game. Daneyko scored!

2003 vs Islanders, Patty scores 4 and we kick the crap outta them 6-0.

Of course, Henrique, Grant Marshall, the 2 Cup wins that I got to see live and all the other great memories far outweigh the bad ones.

Great idea for a thread!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Best 1988...I know it's strange that a cup is the best...but making the playoffs and that run was probably the most excited I've ever been as a devil fan...then 1995.

Worst 1994

Status Quo*

For best I'll mention one I'm pretty sure hasn't been mentioned yet: Marty 552. In the top 3 for games attended for me for sure.

Worst: Game 2 '06 against the Canes. The ending to that game still pisses me off to this day.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Best: Henrique!!! ITS OVER!!

Worst: Rangers beat the Devils in 5, first playoff series in the new building, salute their fans at the Prudential Center. In fact, that whole season can go **** itself. My least favorite since I've started watching in 2000. They couldn't score a goal to save their lives, and they absolutely sucked in the "Metro Ice Challenge". I never want to see NJ go 1-7 against the Rags ever again. What a garbage team that was

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
For best I'll mention one I'm pretty sure hasn't been mentioned yet: Marty 552. In the top 3 for games attended for me for sure.

Worst: Game 2 '06 against the Canes. The ending to that game still pisses me off to this day.

Hey! I beat you to that one :laugh:

Seriously, thought, that is my best regular-season memory (from games I attended). Stevens jersey retirement night (and Daneyko's) provided some great memories, but that night the arena had a buzz for 2.5 hours unlike anything I had (or have) seen for a regular season game.

Status Quo*

Hey! I beat you to that one :laugh:

Seriously, thought, that is my best regular-season memory (from games I attended). Stevens jersey retirement night (and Daneyko's) provided some great memories, but that night the arena had a buzz for 2.5 hours unlike anything I had (or have) seen for a regular season game.

haha sorry! I sorta skimmed through the thread fast and didn't see it

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
A lot of mine have already been mentioned in both categories, but the unexpectedness of so many things last season from individual player to team performances, the penalty killing, coaching, OT heroics, knocking top rivals out of the playoffs, etc made it a very exciting run

Despite the SCF result, easily up there as one of my favorite seasons being a Devils fan

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Best 1988...I know it's strange that a cup is the best...but making the playoffs and that run was probably the most excited I've ever been as a devil fan...then 1995.

Worst 1994

I would love to know what the average age is of posters who post on here, but I would have to agree that the 1988 playoff run was incredible. Making the playoffs for the 1st time and knocking out the Rangers to boot was awesome. The Devils went 7-0-1 down the stretch to qualify and had to beat the Blackhawks in Chicago on the final night to make the playoffs. They were down 3-2 in the 3rd and tied the game up to send it to overtime. Right before John Maclean scored to send the Devils to the playoffs I was prepared for the Devils to have the pull the goalie in overtime in order to win. Realize that if the Devils had lost 1 game in those final 8 games or lost that overtime tie game in Buffalo the Devils would have failed to qualify and the Rangers would have made the playoffs.

Throw in the fact that Devils came within 1 game of reaching the Stanley Cup Finals in a loss to the Bruins in Boston in game 7.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Favorite: Henrique, it's over! Best non-championship win ever, imo. I thought they were done after going down 2 games to 1, but they reel off 3 wins and end it like that? Unforgettable. Also, Game 4 versus Detroit in 95, because that was the first hockey game I ever watched. It was when I found out that NJ even had a team :laugh:

Worst: All the games I've attended. :( NJ has lost every regular season and playoff game I've ever been to, all but one of them by a single goal in OT or SO (other was by loss by two). Worst of those would be Game 3 2003 in Anaheim. Devils lost and Brodeur scored on himself. I'm still glad I can say I've been to a Stanley Cup Final game, but it was just another in a long line of disappointments when it came to the outcome.

Please stop going to games.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Best: Henrique!!! ITS OVER!!

Worst: Rangers beat the Devils in 5, first playoff series in the new building, salute their fans at the Prudential Center. In fact, that whole season can go **** itself. My least favorite since I've started watching in 2000. They couldn't score a goal to save their lives, and they absolutely sucked in the "Metro Ice Challenge". I never want to see NJ go 1-7 against the Rags ever again. What a garbage team that was
That team sucked. The difference between the Rangers going to the playoffs and missing was them beating us so many times that year. We also got owned by the fishsticks that year who were complete garbage. Marty deserved the Hart Trophy that year. If Clemmensuck or Weekes had to start for us that year instead of the year after we would have missed the playoffs. The 08/09 team scored 40 more goals than the 07/08 team.
I would love to know what the average age is of posters who post on here, but I would have to agree that the 1988 playoff run was incredible. Making the playoffs for the 1st time and knocking out the Rangers to boot was awesome. The Devils went 7-0-1 down the stretch to qualify and had to beat the Blackhawks in Chicago on the final night to make the playoffs. They were down 3-2 in the 3rd and tied the game up to send it to overtime. Right before John Maclean scored to send the Devils to the playoffs I was prepared for the Devils to have the pull the goalie in overtime in order to win. Realize that if the Devils had lost 1 game in those final 8 games or lost that overtime tie game in Buffalo the Devils would have failed to qualify and the Rangers would have made the playoffs.

Throw in the fact that Devils came within 1 game of reaching the Stanley Cup Finals in a loss to the Bruins in Boston in game 7.

I was 12 during the 88 playoff run. I enjoyed it and watched every game, but it didn't mean as much as I wish it did. I had just watched a Giants super bowl run the year before, and a Mets world series win 2 years before. Now I don't give two ****s about football, and baseball like I did back then.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Was that the Wallin OT goal? Broke my phone on that one.

I don't remember who won it, but I remember scoring to go ahead with less than 2 minutes left. Maybe even just over a minute left? Then Staal scored to tie it against with seconds left, and then the OT loss.

That was the turning point for the Canes 06 Cup win. If we held onto the lead then we would have split the series coming back to Jersey. That would have been a success after that godawful game 1 down there with Marty getting pulled on his birthday.

apice3*

Wasn't really old enough to truly appreciate any of our Cups, since I was in 8th grade when we won our 3rd. I think the first playoff series I can really remember vividly was against the Rangers, I believe it was 2006.

Since then:

Top 3:
1. Henrique OT goal against NYR 2011-12
2. Henrique OT goal against FLA 2011-12
3. Salmela OT goal against NYI 2010-11

Bottom 3:
1. Hurricanes game 7 comeback
2. Kovy shootout flub vs. Buffalo 2010-11
3. Jeff Carter OT goal game 2

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't remember who won it, but I remember scoring to go ahead with less than 2 minutes left. Maybe even just over a minute left? Then Staal scored to tie it against with seconds left, and then the OT loss.

That was the turning point for the Canes 06 Cup win. If we held onto the lead then we would have split the series coming back to Jersey. That would have been a success after that godawful game 1 down there with Marty getting pulled on his birthday.

Gomez scored with like twenty-one seconds left actually. God, that one really ticked me off. Mostly Lukowich who didn't tackle the guy in front with the clock running out, and Madden winning a faceoff too hard for anyone to control. I don't even remember who scored the tying or winning goals though, I think it was Staal with the tying goal lol.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=260508007

lol I actually did remember the time of the Gomez goal exactly, that's how much that game ticked me off.

Believe so. Gomez scored to take the lead with like 20 seconds left and Staal tied it with 3 seconds to go. That ****ing sucked.

It would have been the equivalent of us actually tying Game 7 in 2009 on that last rush, then winning it in OT.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gomez scored with like twenty-one seconds left actually. God, that one really ticked me off. Mostly Lukowich who didn't tackle the guy in front with the clock running out, and Madden winning a faceoff too hard for anyone to control. I don't even remember who scored the tying or winning goals though, I think it was Staal with the tying goal lol.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=260508007

lol I actually did remember the time of the Gomez goal exactly, that's how much that game ticked me off.
LOL at the little statistic on the side of Martin Brodeur having the worst playoff OT winning percentage!:laugh::laugh:

296 OT winning percentage at that time!:amazed:

I wonder if the OT wins this year helped that out?

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Favorite:
1. Seeing them lift the cup in '95, seeing that old barn erupt. The parking lot scene afterwards... the whole thing was just great. I brought my best friend for his June24 birthday, and my girlfriend was mega-pissed, but it was obviously the right call because I can still reminisce with him over a beer...
2. Lindros hit.
3. Kozlov hit. You knew it was on.
4. The whole '94 run, right up to the Messier game. Marty was absolutely incredible during the Sabres and Bruins series and right thru the Rags series. The 4OT game in Buffalo (despite losing) was a masterpiece. Truly almost every playoff game was memorable.
5. Lemieux scoring on Hextall, '95.
6. Henrique, it's over.
7. Arnott scoring in 2000
8. Zelepukin scoring w/ 7.7s in 94
9. Elias scoring against Philly
10. Burke's play at the end of the '88 regular season. He was really, really good - and even before we won the game in Chicago, you could see that he made us a legit and dangerous team for the first time. EVER.

Friesen's goal against Ott and Marshall's goal against TB were great, as was Travis's running man last year.

The 22+ game win streak against the Rags comes to mind as well.

Worst:
1. Messier scoring the last of 3 goals to beat us in '94 Game 6. We should have won the cup in 94 too, and THIS was really the end. I was upstairs behind Marty watching with a Ranger fan friend. What a mistake.
2. Carolina (pick one)
3. Stevens getting hit in the ear with that puck. You knew shortly thereafter, that was just about the end.
4. Gilmour getting crosschecked in the mouth by Messier - no call. You knew we were going to lose based solely on the officials.
5. The depths of the MacLean era
6. Sykora getting lined up by Hatcher.
7. Niedermayer getting elbowed by Domi.
8. Traitor Gomez going to the Rags. I know that I should be happy the way it turned out, and I knew he was overpaid at the time, but everything about it sucked.
9. Giguere getting named Conn Smythe. BS.
10. Any Rangers game in which we lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad