Favorite & Worst Moments as a Devils Fan

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I disagree. Marty did not play all that badly. Was he great? Sometimes. Go back and look at the goals and he was dealing with screens, breakaways, getting bumped and an Avalanche team with a lot of firepower.

With the exception of Game6, which was the big letdown and a poor game for him and a GREAT game from Roy, I think he outplayed Roy over the bulk of the series.

It just doesn't seem that way.
If you ever get a chance watch the series again. I did it recently, and he was as bad as I remembered. One goal he gave up to Bourque unscreened, undeflected from the blue line. He gave up 2 or 3 bad goals in game 1, but Roy shut us out. Then there were a couple in game 3. He wasn't bad in game 2, nor game 4 I don't think despite giving up 2 goals on like 10 shots. He was fantastic in games 2 and 5 actually. He wasn't that bad in game 7 either despite giving up 3 goals. He was horrid in games 1, 3, 6, he was very bad. He gave up a lot of goals much worse than last years playoffs when people on here were saying ''I want Marty to retire next year'' believe me.

I love Marty and am the first to defend him. That's why when he has a bad game I tell people who remember to think of the 01 SCF. He's still a top 10 goaltender in my book, I don't know how you can say he isn't when going by the last 70 games he's played including playoffs.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
If you ever get a chance watch the series again. I did it recently, and he was as bad as I remembered. One goal he gave up to Bourque unscreened, undeflected from the blue line. He gave up 2 or 3 bad goals in game 1, but Roy shut us out. Then there were a couple in game 3. He wasn't bad in game 2, nor game 4 I don't think despite giving up 2 goals on like 10 shots. He was fantastic in games 2 and 5 actually. He wasn't that bad in game 7 either despite giving up 3 goals. He was horrid in games 1, 3, 6, he was very bad. He gave up a lot of goals much worse than last years playoffs when people on here were saying ''I want Marty to retire next year'' believe me.

I love Marty and am the first to defend him. That's why when he has a bad game I tell people who remember to think of the 01 SCF. He's still a top 10 goaltender in my book, I don't know how you can say he isn't when going by the last 70 games he's played including playoffs.

I just watched part of the games recently and I think he was horrid, as you say, in game 6, but not the others. I understand that the bar is set high, and that anything less than a superhuman performance is horrid in some people's eyes - but similarly, Bryz is going to be labeled as the reason the Flyers lost last year, but aside from the Clarkson goal, he wasn't really the problem.

Saying Marty was the reason for the 2001 loss just isn't true. Could he have been better and picked a great opportunity to shine against Roy? Sure. If you watch Game5, Roy was terrible and absolutely lit up.

Like I said, overall - Roy was better overall - but it wasn't by much. And Marty wasn't the problem.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
By far the biggest problem that playoff was the Randy McKay broke his hand. Once that happened, we were toast.

That's a little simplistic for me considering they had Forsberg out.

That Devil team just was not as motivated as they were in 2000 and got by on talent, they had to get backed against a wall to beat an inferior Toronto team, they even let Carolina back in a series that looked like a walkaway in the first round. Only against Pittsburgh did they really look like the regular season juggernaut but then got overconfident again and no-showed in Game 1 of the Finals and that set the tone.

Marty crumbled against Roy, that can't be denied. Stevens also looked silly against Sakic, etc. We might even lose in five or six if Roy didn't give us the Christmas gift in Game 4. In the end they finally paid the piper for turning their intensity on and off.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Sometimes I have to remind myself of the possibility that I'm arguing with teenagers on the prospects board.

Nay, the virtual certainty.

Too bad that debacle will forever taint his legacy as a player. That's one reason I never want Stevens as head coach.

Ya, I'd be wary of it too, but what if he earns it? I wouldn't want to miss out on a great coach because he happens to be a former player. It's one of those things you have to play by ear.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just watched part of the games recently and I think he was horrid, as you say, in game 6, but not the others. I understand that the bar is set high, and that anything less than a superhuman performance is horrid in some people's eyes - but similarly, Bryz is going to be labeled as the reason the Flyers lost last year, but aside from the Clarkson goal, he wasn't really the problem.

Saying Marty was the reason for the 2001 loss just isn't true. Could he have been better and picked a great opportunity to shine against Roy? Sure. If you watch Game5, Roy was terrible and absolutely lit up.

Like I said, overall - Roy was better overall - but it wasn't by much. And Marty wasn't the problem.

I never said he was the reason we lost though. His worst games were game 1 and game 6. We got shutout those games. He could have kept the goals against to 1 but you can't win a game if you don't score. A lot of pucks were just going through Marty (Arms, 5 hole) and quite a few were not deflected nor screened. Bryz was not the cause for their loss against us either. He was their best player in that series. The only game he was bad in was game 3 which Marty was bad in that game also. It was Marty's only terrible game last playoffs aside from some meh performances against Florida in round 1. Parise even scored on a stuff play in game 3!:laugh:

I think the team lost because they ****ed around against Carolina, and Toronto with the Nieds/Domi thing. That had more to do with it than the long playoff run the year before. If they sweep Carolina like they should have or at least beat them in 5, and beat Toronto in 6 we might have won. I look back at game 3 of last year's Florida series as a wasted game. If not for that we don't have a game 7 against them.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Worst:

alg-devilsa-jpg.jpg

Best:

Adam-Henrique-Henrik-Lundqvist-Devils-Rangers-Bruce-Bennett-Getty-Images-145299574-e1340121489472.jpg

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
i have more to say about 2001

ray bourque and the avs. "a great moment in hockey history" everything was about old man river winning a cup that spring. everybody was so happy for him. that was a horrible moment for devils fans. bourque and his stupid "16 w" hats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad