Favorite Video Game (Wrestling)

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Does anyone remember which game had the helicopter and the rooftop props? I could’ve sworn there was a backstage you could swing yourself from a helicopter and other ridiculous stuff.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Fire Pro Wrestling Returns is phenomenal
My friend also had copies of Virtual Pro Wrestling 1 and 2 for N64 which were also amazing.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Does anyone remember which game had the helicopter and the rooftop props? I could’ve sworn there was a backstage you could swing yourself from a helicopter and other ridiculous stuff.
I believe this was called Double Dragon.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
ps1_wwf_attitude-120314.jpg

I played an insane amount of this back in the day.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That's the one for me, spent countless hours playing that game

All it needed was a few more options for customization. Wasn't quite as good pretending that Maya Inca Boy was The Rock. But yes, many hours sunk into Revenge. I remember that when it came out you couldn't even find it in the rental places.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I believe this was called Double Dragon.
Ah I found it, there was indeed rooftops and helicopters. You could jump off the roof a building and ride helicopters in Here Comes the Pain. It looks a little ridiculous, but it was memorable to me back when I was a kid.

9627196a0e31be9a-600x338.jpg

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
ps1_wwf_attitude-120314.jpg

I played an insane amount of this back in the day.

I remember being excited for this to be released as I believe it was the first WWE game with a large roster (pretty much their whole roster was in it). Before that, I think WWE games had like 16 guys max.

But I found it to be a disappointment. The control system sucked - where you had to press a certain combo/pattern of buttons for simple moves. Like triangle, square, square and up for a simple suplex or something.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I remember being excited for this to be released as I believe it was the first WWE game with a large roster (pretty much their whole roster was in it). Before that, I think WWE games had like 16 guys max.

But I found it to be a disappointment. The control system sucked - where you had to press a certain combo/pattern of buttons for simple moves. Like triangle, square, square and up for a simple suplex or something.

Yeah some of the moves were a real bitch to pull off. I had the strategy guide and even then I had a hard time.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I think I gotta say 2k18 has become my favorite of all. Lots of alumni to pick from and the controls are tightest.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
wcw/nwo revenge
wwe No Mercy
wwe Wrestlemania 2000
wwe royal rumble on sega genesis
WWE Wrestlefest, went all the way and beat Legion of Doom with Hogan and Warrior on 1 quarter.

WWE Raw vs. Smackdown 2006 and '07 on ps2

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
As a kid, I was a WWF mark, so I preferred WrestleMania 2000 over Revenge. No Mercy is probably better than both due to being later and more polished, but I have more nostalgia for WrestleMania 2000. I also played a lot of hours on SmackDown 2.
The undisputed king for me though has to be Here Comes The Pain.

One game I always thought was underrated was WrestleMania XIX for the GameCube.

Reactions: Nemesis Prime

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
As a kid, I was a WWF mark, so I preferred WrestleMania 2000 over Revenge. No Mercy is probably better than both due to being later and more polished, but I have more nostalgia for WrestleMania 2000. I also played a lot of hours on SmackDown 2.
The undisputed king for me though has to be Here Comes The Pain.

One game I always thought was underrated was WrestleMania XIX for the GameCube.

I don't think WrestleMania 2000 had anything on Revenge. No Mercy did because they added the ladder match and a story mode for every title, which I'm not sure has happened since. Revenge just had the best roster of any wrestling video game ever.

No Mercy's only drawback is the menu music. "Dig dig diggity dog...socko". Couldn't stand that.

Menu music should just be entrance themes.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Fire Pro Wrestling Returns is phenomenal
My friend also had copies of Virtual Pro Wrestling 1 and 2 for N64 which were also amazing.

My friend and I had so many awesome memories of playing Fire Pro Wrestling Returns.

One of the best ones setting up the 6 man barbwire landmine death match with the explosive timer set to random. It went off two seconds after the opening bell.

Then there was the time we tested exactly how long the most lenient referee would tolerate cheating before DQ'ing someone. It let me stab Brett Hart in the head with Abdullah the Butcher's BBQ fork for almost 40 minutes before he called it. :D

I remember also when we attempted to tackle promoter mode and could only afford hiring wrestlers from some child oriented wrestling promotion and some low end hardcore promotion. So yeah we threw the kid friendly clown wrestler against the hardcore wrester in a weapons match. Damned if that clown didn't put up a valiant fight for his life going for the weapons first before he ended up bleeding all over the place. I loved the end of the match critque...

"The fans were confused by this match being added to the card but were pleasantly surprised by the outcome."

Finally there was the epic series of what we dubbed "Karate Man vs the son of the ghost of Mike Hagger Jr the 3rd."

Basically under the MMA K1 list of fighters there is a character called Karate Man who I have no idea who he's based on, but apparently he has super powerful kicks. My friend chose him while I went with Bone Cry, the guy based on Don Frye that looks like the Mike Hagger character from Final Fight.

Two seconds into a match he roundhouse kicks me into a critical finish that left Bone Cry face down on the mat not breathing and bleeding out from the head. From there it turned into a series of fight between the two characters with each subsequent rematch of me trying to get revenge for the death of the predecessor. :D

Oh that game was so much fun with it's varied rosters, match types, and rule sets.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Does anyone have Fire Pro Wrestling on PS4? I'm thinking of buying but only if there's a way to download WWE/AEW wrestlers. Has anyone here done that?

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Does anyone have Fire Pro Wrestling on PS4? I'm thinking of buying but only if there's a way to download WWE/AEW wrestlers. Has anyone here done that?

I have it. It's solid. There is a site that you link your profile to that you can like wrestler creates and it will automatically download the creates to your PS4 game. The only issue is there is DLC for different characters and features, if the creater of your liked wrestler changes their create to someting with DLC that you don't have, it will render the character unusable.

Otherwise the game is just as good as the PS2 version with the NJPW roster already built in.

Reactions: Megahab

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The WWE release today has me once again pining for an AEW game with the Revenge/WM2000/No Mercy engine planted in it. My god if something like that ever hit the Switch, I'd happily shell out the 60 bucks for it. Without question.

Sep 19, 2008
WWE 2k22 has only been out a few days and may be the best wrestling game of this generation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad