Favorite Video Game (Wrestling)

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Was talking to a friend the other day about childhood memories of video games of the wrestling variety. The conversation got me to thinking which games did I absolutely love growing up and which games did my brother and I burn the most hours on. So, simple question everyone, what was your all time favorite wrestling themed video game?

My answer: NO MERCY on N64

Runner ups: Royal Rumble on SNES, Pro Wrestling on NES

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
There really is only one answer which is No Mercy.

Though I did really like WCW/NWO Revenge. No Mercy was just the peak of wrestling games.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
ECW Hardcore Revolution on Playstation(1). It had a career mode that I am not sure ever actually ended. You’d win the belt and then keep doing the same cycle of matches over and over. The most annoying and difficult match was the 3 on 1 where they were all in ring at once. The way to win that was use Mike Awesome. Do four hundred belly to belly overhead release suplexes until every opponent’s health metre was at zero. It was the only way to earn yourself three uninterrupted seconds for a pin. :laugh:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Something from the early/mid '90s, perhaps Wrestlemania, Royal Rumble, Raw, etc. I can't remember the specifics of each to differentiate at this point.

World Championship Wrestling (w/Road Warriors on the cover) or Pro Wrestling on NES were the kings until Genesis/SNES came around, though. I barely got into any systems after those two, and don't recall playing any wrestling games when I did. Shame...

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Here Comes The Pain = GOAT

I liked No Mercy too, but I always felt HCTP was the best game ever.

Last edited:

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Was there a Monday Night Raw one? Maybe for Sega Genesis? I remember the low bit audio track. Pretty sure it had Diesel and Shawn Michaels, that era of wrestling, maybe early Raw years.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
No Mercy or Here Comes The Pain.

Wrestlemania 2000 and WCW/nWo Revenge on the same engine as No Mercy were great too. So was Shut Your Mouth for Ps2. There was one for Gamecube I loved too, can't remember if it was one of the Wrestlemanias or Day of Reckonings.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I haven't played a ton of wrestling games post-16 bit era, but the one I spent the most time on was Royal Rumble for the SNES. I always laugh too since I borrowed it from a neighbor kid who warned me to remember to return it. I was a little taken aback since I always returned games that the other neighbors loaned me.

.....then one day he moved away suddenly and I still have the cartridge nearly 30 years later. It's too bad I don't remember his name, might be amusing if I tracked him down and mailed it back.

I forget which PS1 (maybe PS2) era game that my college roommate had, but I remember creating a wrestler that had the physical likeness to Vader but with D-Lo Brown's moveset.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Was there a Monday Night Raw one? Maybe for Sega Genesis? I remember the low bit audio track. Pretty sure it had Diesel and Shawn Michaels, that era of wrestling, maybe early Raw years.

Maybe you're thinking of Raw is War which came out in 1994 on Genesis and I think SNES. I have fond childhood memories of playing that.

But my favourite is hands No Mercy. Revenge is amazing too but didn't have a story mode or the ladder match. Pretty sure No Mercy was the first game that had the ladder match. No Mercy still holds as being better than of the recent games.

I'm not a fan of the Smackdown/Smackdown vs Raw/WWE 2k games. Too arcade like where you can take a powerful move and get up right away.

A great mobile game is Booking Revolution. Check it out.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Anyone remember this old I wanna say snes wwf game where you could hit the referee? It also had a usable bucket you could pick up and both swing and throw at people, including said ref.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
No Mercy. Haven't played a wresting game in like 20 years and the new ones don't really look to impressive. Something about the flow of No Mercy and playing with 4 players on the N64 was just so amazing just thinking about it now 20 years later.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Maybe you're thinking of Raw is War which came out in 1994 on Genesis and I think SNES. I have fond childhood memories of playing that.

But my favourite is hands No Mercy. Revenge is amazing too but didn't have a story mode or the ladder match. Pretty sure No Mercy was the first game that had the ladder match. No Mercy still holds as being better than of the recent games.

I'm not a fan of the Smackdown/Smackdown vs Raw/WWE 2k games. Too arcade like where you can take a powerful move and get up right away.

A great mobile game is Booking Revolution. Check it out.

This is one of the big things that holds the games back nowadays. No Mercy's pacing was just perfect, you had to work to get that finisher. Everything about that game to even the story mode was so ahead of its time, it's still better than what they release today and no that's not nostalgia talking.

I sold my N64 and all my games about 14 years ago for some extra cash at a bachelor weekend, what a blunder that was.

Reactions: Megahab

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I still have anN64 with Revenge and WM2000. If AEW ever releases their own title using that same engine, i may finally have to upgrade from a PS2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad