Favorite Video Game (Wrestling)

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Showing my age but my favorite all time wrestling game (Arcade) was "Exciting Hour" also known as "Mat-Mania Challenge". The Nintendo game "Pro Wrestling" was in many ways based on this.
The "WCW vs the World" game was also a lot of fun.

giphy.gif

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Showing my age but my favorite all time wrestling game (Arcade) was "Exciting Hour" also known as "Mat-Mania Challenge". The Nintendo game "Pro Wrestling" was in many ways based on this.
The "WCW vs the World" game was also a lot of fun.

giphy.gif

For it's time it was a pretty awesome game. It should be noted that Exciting Hour and Mat Mania were slightly different. Exciting Hour had more wrestlers(5) you face plus a title match and came out first, while Mat Mania I believe only had 3 characters you face but more moves and no title match, plus had an option where you could do human vs human. That being said much of the game in both was relatively similar.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
For it's time it was a pretty awesome game. It should be noted that Exciting Hour and Mat Mania were slightly different. Exciting Hour had more wrestlers(5) you face plus a title match and came out first, while Mat Mania I believe only had 3 characters you face but more moves and no title match, plus had an option where you could do human vs human. That being said much of the game in both was relatively similar.
For sure.
For some reason I had come across and Exciting Hour game that was in a Mat Mania cabinet.
Further confusing me.
An older kid convinced me that if you could reach 100 title defences that a character called the "Sandwich" (massive giant King Bundy type character) would be unlocked to challenge you.
Of course that was BS.

If I could get a golden era (mid to late 80's) WWF game on the same platform as Exciting Hour with about 30+ characters and that simple beautiful game play I would get back in the arcade/video game playing business.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Does anyone play wrestling management games? I used to play Extreme Warfare Revenge, Promotion Wars, and Total Extreme Wrestling.

I have got a recent urge to play again buy was wondering which is the best one. I want one with real world wrestlers, not made up ones.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Does anyone play wrestling management games? I used to play Extreme Warfare Revenge, Promotion Wars, and Total Extreme Wrestling.

I have got a recent urge to play again buy was wondering which is the best one. I want one with real world wrestlers, not made up ones.
EWR is still around and they update it regularly

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
When I was a young kid WWF Raw for the SNES was the one I played the most. I just loved listening to the wrestlers' theme songs in the select-a-wrestler screen.

WCW/nWo Revenge was the best for its time and most fun to just screw around with friends on, but Wrestlemania 2000 using the same engine was mindblowing because they had entrance music and a career mode with storylines. It blew my mind on Thanksgiving weekend of 1999 when the Big Boss Man did a run-in on my CAW's match in career mode and then there was a cutscene where he cut a promo. Prior to that, every wrestling game career mode was just one match after another with no real story elaboration, except for Warzone with its hilariously bad videos. No Mercy may have been an improvement in gameplay modes, and I know people swear by it, but they cut some stuff I liked (entrances were truncated) and the roster in WM2000 spoke to me more because 1999 was my peak fandom.

The PS2 era ones were alright, but nothing special. Last one I owned was either SvR 2006 or 2007, don't remember exactly. Not that memorable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad