OT: Favorite TV Shows no longer in production

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
yooooo, Hercules! one of my earliest TV memories, right after the Greeeeeen Forest
Toot,and the Mask of Deadalus ,there was always a forked branch or someway he would lose that helmet...Yep and Fables of the Green forest,Hammy the Hamster??

Reactions: coladin

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Breaking Bad
Community
Eastbound & Down
Firefly
Hannibal
The Knick
The Leftovers
Mad Men
Party Down
Person of Interest
Rectify
Samurai Jack
Six Feet Under
Twin Peaks
The Wire

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
A more recent show, 'Love' on Netflix is one I wish there was more of, but it probably had a shelf life in terms of length so maybe it ended at the right time.

I miss the original run Arrested Development. I'm grateful for the new seasons, but it's just not the same. Too much time has passed culturally and it seems like they had lightning in a bottle 10-15 years ago.

Trailer Park Boys is probably a similar show to AD in that while it is still going on in some form, it's a completely different show and it's impossible for them to capture the lo-fi almost punk rock vibe of the original show.

Kenny VS Spenny, I guess this show was kind of like YouTube before YouTube existed. I'm not sure if it would still matter as a show if it started in 2018, but never the less for me I was at just the right point in my life when this show came out to find it amazing.

It's astounding to me that Seinfeld hasn't come back for at least a season. So much has changed in terms of technology, and it's created a brand new lexicon of social cues and behaviours that Seinfeld and David could comment on.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Louie is another one already listed in this thread that I miss. I'm not going to comment on the reasons why the show is gone, but in terms of television there probably won't be another show like Louie for a long time if ever.

Were all the episodes good? No. Was some of it derivative? Maybe....But when will we see a creator much less a comedian get a blank slate like Louie CK was given and use it as effectively to create such a genre bending show. If you want to introduce Louie to someone, you can't just show them one episode because especially later on in the show run, the show has so much variance in what kind of show you're getting episode to episode.

Does that mean it's always good? No. But I'm not sure we're ever gonna see a comedian given 30 minutes on TV to make whatever they want, and then follow through with something that changes from episode to episode and at it's best peaks as excellent television.

Last edited:
Reactions: JonnyMacSen

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I miss the original run Arrested Development. I'm grateful for the new seasons, but it's just not the same. Too much time has passed culturally and it seems like they had lightning in a bottle 10-15 years ago.

Trailer Park Boys is probably a similar show to AD in that while it is still going on in some form, it's a completely different show and it's impossible for them to capture the lo-fi almost punk rock vibe of the original show.

Kenny VS Spenny, I guess this show was kind of like YouTube before YouTube existed. I'm not sure if it would still matter as a show if it started in 2018, but never the less for me I was at just the right point in my life when this show came out to find it amazing.
Agreed on all of the above – excellent takes. I still watch Kenny vs. Spenny when I'm bored and need something to put on in the background – all the episodes are on Youtube.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
The shows I wish would have continued with a few more seasons:

Jean-Claude Van Johnson: I don't think a show has made me laugh as often as this one.
Fringe: One of my favorite shows. I liked the subject matter, the cast, the production, everything was great. Wish it had a few extra seasons.
Flight of the Conchords: Brett + Jemaine = great music and comedy
Person of Interest: I like the idea of an AI interacting with "good" humans
Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles: actually better than some of the Terminator movies.

Great shows but that ran their course IMO:
Dexter: last few seasons were meh, this one probably should have ended 1-2 seasons earlier
House:
24:
I watched the crap out of this show while working out, the pace of this show is awesome when you get to bing watch it
Breaking Bad: I think it ran its course but I like where Better Call Saul is heading now, feels like a proper prequel this season!

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
A more recent show, 'Love' on Netflix is one I wish there was more of, but it probably had a shelf life in terms of length so maybe it ended at the right time.

It's astounding to me that Seinfeld hasn't come back for at least a season. So much has changed in terms of technology, and it's created a brand new lexicon of social cues and behaviours that Seinfeld and David could comment on.

I believe Larry David has always been anti reunion type shows and that’s why he put The Seinfeld reunion within the season of Curb. That was pretty much the extra season of Seinfeld. It was a pretty cool idea and a great season.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Better off Ted
Alias
Battlestar galactica
30 rock
Malcolm in the middle
Friends
Parks and rec
I want to say arrested development but it's new season is one of the worst things ever.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The Americans ... finale was in 2018 .... good show
SOA of course :laugh:
Dexter
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Sopranos
Scandal
Damages
The Good Wife
Rectify
Deadwood
Gunsmoke
The West Wing

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Sopranos
The wire
How I met your mother
Scrubs
Better off Ted
Justified
Banshee (except the last season)

I'll just make another post when I think of more.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Night Court
High Incident
Starman
Night Heat
Moonlighting
The Greatest American Hero
The Incredible Hulk
Science International (What Will They Think of Next - US and syndication title)
The Littles (for the kid in me)
The A Team
V (although I think they did bring that one back recently?)
The Edison Twins (again for the kid in me)
Sliders

And ditto to others already mentioned:
WKRP
Star Trek (virtually all series)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Seinfeld
Larry Sanders
Frasier
How I Met Your Mother
Roseanne (not the reboot)
That 70s show
Malcolm in the middle
Friends
Undeclared
Fresh Prince
King of the hill
David Letterman (if that counts)
1230 NBC Conan (if that counts)
Colbert Report
Newsradio
Degrassi Junior High/High
Everybody Loves Raymond

Reactions: Disclose

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I tried to get into this but just couldn't. Found it insanely boring.

Samurai Jack is pure television art.

It was able to pay tribute to countless classic films and TV shows while forging it's own lore. It pushed boundaries in terms of storytelling, it wasn't afraid to tell mature and serious stories when it wanted to, and was patient when it needed to be.

I respect your opinion but I really think you should give it another shot. I honestly don't think there's an animated show that used its medium as well as Samurai Jack.

Last edited:

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Seinfeld
Larry Sanders
Frasier
How I Met Your Mother
Roseanne (not the reboot)
That 70s show
Malcolm in the middle
Friends
Undeclared
Fresh Prince
King of the hill
David Letterman (if that counts)
1230 NBC Conan (if that counts)
Colbert Report
Newsradio
Degrassi Junior High/High
Everybody Loves Raymond
You just basically told us how old you are ;)

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Chappelle Show

Mic-Drop-GIF-Image-14-1.gif

902.gif

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad