OT: Favorite TV Shows no longer in production

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Samurai Jack is pure television art.

It was able to pay tribute to countless classic films and TV shows while forging it's own lore. It pushed boundaries in terms of storytelling, it wasn't afraid to tell mature and serious stories when it wanted to, and was patient when it needed to be.

I respect your opinion but I really think you should give it another shot. I honestly don't think there's an animated show that used its medium as well as Samurai Jack.

This is what I hear and I may try to come back to it, but I gave it a whole season and every episode followed the same formula - a few lines of inane dialogue with some random characters, then a bunch of mindless fighting. The stories have no depth to them, each one is completely predictable and on a higher level it is also completely evident where the whole series arc is headed.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I figured I would take us off the hockey subject and possibly get some new recommendations on TV shows.

What are your favorite TV shows that are no longer in production

Mine are (in no particular order)

The Office (US Version)
IT Crowd
Community
Parks and Recreation
Psych
M*A*S*H
Longmire
Chuck

Such a great show even after this many years have passed by.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
This is what I hear and I may try to come back to it, but I gave it a whole season and every episode followed the same formula - a few lines of inane dialogue with some random characters, then a bunch of mindless fighting. The stories have no depth to them, each one is completely predictable and on a higher level it is also completely evident where the whole series arc is headed.

I see what you're saying. The story is rather straightforward in it's overarching structure. This is a legend, a myth. Good vs evil. The hero's journey to restore balance to a world plunged into darkness.

It also has to balance long term story telling with serialized stories. Yes every week has a new challenge and a new character or group of characters to help. However as the series went on they did change things a bit. Jack would encounter recurring characters as time went on, they tried more interesting story telling methods within the structure of individual episodes, and occasionally used flashback episodes to help flesh things out.

I mean you could argue it's predictable in the way Star Wars was predictable, but for the type of story they are telling I don't think that really should be held against it. We are dealing primarily with archetypes.

For what it's worth the final season which at last came out last year completely tossed serialized storytelling out the window and was a season of one extended story. Not only that but one without the limitations of a child friendly rating.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I see what you're saying. The story is rather straightforward in it's overarching structure. This is a legend, a myth. Good vs evil. The hero's journey to restore balance to a world plunged into darkness.

It also has to balance long term story telling with serialized stories. Yes every week has a new challenge and a new character or group of characters to help. However as the series went on they did change things a bit. Jack would encounter recurring characters as time went on, they tried more interesting story telling methods within the structure of individual episodes, and occasionally used flashback episodes to help flesh things out.

I mean you could argue it's predictable in the way Star Wars was predictable, but for the type of story they are telling I don't think that really should be held against it. We are dealing primarily with archetypes.

For what it's worth the final season which at last came out last year completely tossed serialized storytelling out the window and was a season of one extended story. Not only that but one without the limitations of a child friendly rating.

I don't know that Star Wars is the same thing, the characters there have internal conflict. Luke is impulsive, conflicted, doesn't always make the right decision. Anyhow, I'm sure we'll come back to it at some point, but for now we're going through all the seasons of Adventure Time instead, which is like the diametrical opposite :)

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I don't know that Star Wars is the same thing, the characters there have internal conflict. Luke is impulsive, conflicted, doesn't always make the right decision. Anyhow, I'm sure we'll come back to it at some point, but for now we're going through all the seasons of Adventure Time instead, which is like the diametrical opposite :)

Fair enough. I would like the point out that it becomes clear Jack feels an immense sense of guilt for allowing the world to become what it is, and often hurts his own chances at success because of the responsibility he feels towards helping others.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Night Court
High Incident
Starman
Night Heat
Moonlighting
The Greatest American Hero
The Incredible Hulk
Science International (What Will They Think of Next - US and syndication title)
The Littles (for the kid in me)
The A Team
V (although I think they did bring that one back recently?)
The Edison Twins (again for the kid in me)
Sliders

And ditto to others already mentioned:
WKRP
Star Trek (virtually all series)
I pity the fool.....Knight Rider,and Dukes of Hazzard would be others

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
In no order either and ones not mentioned by you:
The League
Party Down
Extra's
Seinfeld
Flight of the Conchords
Eastbound & Down
Life's Too Short
The Larry Sanders Show

Party Down is so incredibly good. It’s criminal that most people have never heard of that show.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I pity the fool.....Knight Rider,and Dukes of Hazzard would be others

The amount of 'cool vehicle' tv shows in the 80s was insane.

Airwolf
Simon & Simon
Miami Vice
Magnum PI
Fall Guy
Hardcastle & McCormick

I wouldn't want to be the stunt guys on Airwolf...crazy stuff:

Reactions: topshelf15

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I go way back with some of my early favorites:

Maverick - James Garner
Gunsmoke - James Arness
Rawhide - Eric Fleming who drowned making a film also Clint Eastwood
Wyatt Earp - Hugh O'Brian
Bonanza
Lost in Space (Guy Williams aka Disney's Zorro)
The Time Tunnel
Kids Incorporated (For my youngest who wouldn't miss a show)
Quantum Leap

as well as 3rd Rock from the Sun, Seinfeld and Mash among others mentioned here before

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
And yeah Deadwood is the greatest series to ever air on TV. The fact that it ended on a cliffhanger (more-or-less) is tragic.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad