Favorite Penguin and why

JerseyShore99

Nov 7, 2013
Besides the obvious guys I was a HUGE fan of Colby Amrstrong, I was heartbroken when he got traded I remember, favorite Pen at the time

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Malkin does this thing all the time where he dangles around the perimeter of the offensive zone for 30 seconds, beating all 5 members of the opposing team in the process, and then he finally runs out of gas and the possession dissolves.

The less he does that the more i like him. Malkin is pretty cool when he's passing more and getting to the crease. He has physical skills that very much remind me of Lemieux but i don't think he sees the ice as well.

Also - and this might be just an odd "me" thing - i have an easier time relating to right-handed players because i myself am right-handed. It's not a rule that a player has to be a righty but in general i do prefer rightys.

Other than the righty thing, I understand. Geno definitely has some frustrating qualities from time to time, but IMO he is the most entertaining player to watch since Lemieux.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Dear Sidney Crosby,

Play much more recklessly with the puck and speak in broken English so people like you better.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
:laugh:

I have a feeling you think I'm a card carrying team KIRK member now.

Nahhhhh, I wasn't even being passive-aggressive towards YOU with that one. Just in general. Everything Crosby does is amazing and he's no one's favorite player? It blows my mind.

I don't even think he's as robotic as people have claimed.

Anyhow, I'm just goofin'

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
Lemieux - Duh

Malkin. Another duh, but his second goal ever I believe against Brodeur made me love him.

And third for some reason I've always loved Fluery. He just seems so goofy.

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Nahhhhh, I wasn't even being passive-aggressive towards YOU with that one. Just in general. Everything Crosby does is amazing and he's no one's favorite player? It blows my mind.

Anyhow, I'm just goofin'

From the current team Sid is by far my favorite.

Past Pens- Mario, Ian Moran, Stevens, Murphy, Ronnie Francis, Bob Errey, Ulfie.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Playoff Fleury, he's at the top of a list.

Anyhow, I'm just goofin'

Okay, okay, he can be my favourite.

Seriously though, the whole concussion saga gave me a different and better appreciation of him, so probably Crosby. Like 95%-ish of the time... I'm fickle like that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ok, outside of Mario.

Ron "Ronnie Franchise" Francis.
FlsNNXc.jpg

He was a solid 2-way player that was just a tremendously productive player as well, his playmaking abilities are severely underrated when anyone talks about him, absolutely loved watching him play and it sucked to lose him a year after Mario retired.

000546041.jpg

Kevin Stevens because I too like hookers and blow.

I hear it's not a party until Kevin walks in with a hooker and blow in tow.

Michael8771*

Glass and Orpik, because they lay it all on the line night in and night out. They sacrifice their hearts, minds, souls and bodies for the greater good. There is no more noble act than what Glass and Orpik do on the ice.
Really?;)

H382

Oct 20, 2006
Besides the big 4...

straka324122.jpg

This is where the "82" in my username came from.

These were my favorite players growing up.

Straka
Jagr (Secretly dying alive to have him back on the Pens one final time)
Palffy (it was bittersweet having an old Palffy sign with us after the lockout)
Bure
Selanne (I cannot believe he is still playing)
Naslund

As far as my favorite Penguin, and not including Mario, Crosby/Malkin.

It was Kasparitis, then Letang.. It's now currently Maatta. If Maatta had any type of mean streak, even the slightest, I would be in man love.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Surprised at the lack of Sid love here. All time my favorite is certainly Mario, but of the current Pens, it's easily Sid.

I love Geno, but Sid has always been my favorite. His tenacity and drive seem unparalleled. And I don't know, it's like Babcock said in 2010 which is that there's just a certain magic about Sid. No matter what he seems to find a way to excel. Cup loss? Cup win the next year. Sorta struggle in the Olympics? Still gets gold medal goal. Concussions? Comes back better than ever. No wrist shot? No problem, works on it all off season, comes back and scores 50 goals. No faceoff ability? No problem, develops into one of the beasts of the league in that category. Defensive ability suspect? No problem, becomes a guy who can take pk shifts and who is imo this year our best two-way player. In the past you couldn't always say that about Sid, but this year I think he's just been great defensively, and I feel like he's made a conscious effort to be that way.

He's not perfect (aka Mario :) ) He got blanked against Boston. He was a no show against Philly the year before that. He goes through quiet stretches in the regular season now and then. But by and large this kid cares like no other athlete since Gretzky and you can tell he works very very hard to be the best out there. His natural gifts are exceptional but it's his work ethic that sets him apart from the other stars of the league and truly allows him to be head and shoulders above them. And it's that work ethic which makes him my favorite Pen. He cares a lot, and that's easy to respect and admire.

And I suppose I should add that off the ice he seems endlessly patient with all the media attention and I can't recall hearing a bad story about him and his interactions with fans. Geno on the other hand ducks the media constantly and has done so even at the Olympics in his home country. I don't necessarily begrudge Geno that as eff the media, but it's admirable all the same how well Sid deals with all the off ice distractions.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Straka always played hard and never backed away from anything or complained. And then there was that night in New Jersey... :yo:

What a series that was, all him and Jagr

I was at the 1999 game 6 vs Devils, near the blue line where Marty slipped past Niedermayer to feed Jagr in front in OT. I've been to a handful of Finals games since, but that's still my favorite memory.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Crosby, when he's on, he's as perfect a hockey player as you'll find IMO. When he's off he's a headache, but when he's on I don't think anyone can touch him.

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.
I really like Letang, don't tell HFBoards. But since he's been all stroky, Olli Maatta has made me love him. I never really got a chance to see Mario play because I was too young and dumb to watch much hockey at the time, but he's one of my favorites just because of what he did for the team. I also <3'd Gonchar so much when he was here, I love offensive defensemen. Then there are some more forwards tossed in there as well, plus Fleury.

I CAN'T DECIDE ON JUST ONE, OKAY?

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Rick Tocchet: Tough as nails. One of the best power-forwards of all time. He never took a shift off, and wasn't afraid to drop his gloves.

Kevin Stevens: A big talented rugged forward. Didn't back down.

Eric Godard: He was the perfect enforcer. He played his role very well. He was inconsistent in his fights, but he had the ability to beat any fighter on any night.

Deryk Engelland: Tough physical defenseman/forward. Great guy on and off the ice.

Ryan Malone: A team player. Good in front of the net, and stuck up for his teammates. They should have kept him.

Mario Lemieux: The reason why Pittsburgh became my favorite team. The most talented forward of all-time.

Chris Tamer: Was a punching bag near the end of his career, but he was tough. He knocked down Bob Probert in a fight.

Eric Cairns: Was past his prime once he joined the Penguins. But, I loved his game when he was on the Islanders.

Sidney Crosby: Talented and determined forward that always gives his fullest effort. Great leader that has had an impressive career.

Andy Chiodo: He wasn't an NHL-caliber goaltender. However, I got to watch him in his days on the Toronto St. Michael Majors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad