Favorite Coyotes - Bye Week Poll! - Vote for 3!

Top 3 favorites?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Carrillo could play. If he would have focused more on his game than being a goon, he could have had a much better career. He is doing something with helping players with concussions now. Not sure if he had anger issues or other mental problems but I'm sure all those fights contributed to the concussions and his mental state today.

Carcillo is an unguided missile in whatever he does. Damn the torpedoes, etc. I love what he's doing now with the concussion discussion because he's as unleashed as he was on the ice. He's turned that wild drive into a great asset for player advocacy.

But on the ice he was a menace to his own team as much as the other one. I can't forget Doan corralling him as the team was leaving the ice for an intermission and basically shouting in his face right there in the tunnel entrance. I don't recall Doan ever doing that with any other player on his team. So if I had to pick and choose for "favorite Coyotes pest/goon," I'd have to go with Tyson Nash, followed by Josh Gratton.

Reactions: RemoAZ

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Carcillo is an unguided missile in whatever he does. Damn the torpedoes, etc. I love what he's doing now with the concussion discussion because he's as unleashed as he was on the ice. He's turned that wild drive into a great asset for player advocacy.

But on the ice he was a menace to his own team as much as the other one. I can't forget Doan corralling him as the team was leaving the ice for an intermission and basically shouting in his face right there in the tunnel entrance. I don't recall Doan ever doing that with any other player on his team. So if I had to pick and choose for "favorite Coyotes pest/goon," I'd have to go with Tyson Nash, followed by Josh Gratton.

What's really a shame in my opinion is that he had talent to be much more than a goon. He just didn't have the mental make up or control or whatever you want to call it to just play the game. It was easy for the other team to use his penalties to their advantage. I loved the passion he brought to the ice but then he'd do something completely unnecessary and plain stupid that hurt the team. Wasted talent.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think Carcillo did a few stupid things and then even after he reined it on quite a bit the reputation calls killed him. I loved him though. He, King, and Brad May would have to be my favourite Coyote "tough guys"-- had too much skill to be just a "goon". Gratton was basically terrible, but he was fearless. Jim Cummins and Jim McKenzie would be tied for third on my list. I hated May when he was in Vancouver. Loved him here. Hated Nash in STL, here, and everywhere. In the booth, he is just salt in the wounds.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Been with them since the move from Winnipeg. Numminen, Vrbata, Whitney. None of my votes are even top 3! I know, heresy not to include Doan.

After a great 2005-06 season, the old "coyotescorner" board was absolutely dumping on Nagy before he was moved to Dallas at the next season's deadline.

And is "Wilson" supposed to be negligible winger Landon Wilson or the wily veteran equipment manager Stan Wilson?

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I've been on board since '96 but nothing is tempting me to choose Tkachuk or Roenick. Drake, I'd pick. Tocchet, too. I like guys from that era, but Tkachuk and Roenick always just seemed like *******s to me.

What's not to like about Tkachuk's holdouts? His number-retirement night happened to be in my 12-game plan. I chose to sit in the stairwell rather than sit through it. Couldn't bear to watch it.

Reactions: _Del_

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Gotta love a player who was basically begging to come back to play here multiple times. Plus, he's personally responsible for so many points in the standings with his forehand-backhand-bar down shootout move.

Tbs3Rxd.gif

Ranked 5th in points among those who played in Arizona.

Reactions: Mosby and CC96

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Honestly I wish I could take back my Whitney vote for either Hanzal or Vrbata. Probably Vrbata as he's also the reason Richy is here. Voted Whitney was just bc he embodies everything that I want our team to be again.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
After the obligatory Doan Jersey (which was my first jersey) I immediately got a Keith Ballard authentic away jersey. Ballard was by far my favorite player in the league when I was a kid. So explosive, and a great guy on and off the ice.

Anybody remember that game against Vancouver where Ballard absolutely annihilated Richard Park at center ice with one of the most insane open-ice checks ever? It was so ****ing loud. Ed Jovanovski ended up charging him, and Doan went full Captain beast mode and had somebody down on the ice with his fist cocked back. Funny that just a year or so later Ed Jovanovski and Ballard were paired together. Jovo Cop look like he wanted to kill our entire team. Even though we weren't that great of a team back then, it seems like those were simpler days. I miss it, especially seeing that team slowly evolve into a serious Stanley Cup contender.

I was pretty much a Coyotes fan my entire life but it got serious in 2005. That's when I started obsessing about the team like I still do to this day. I was born in 92 so i was pretty young during the glory days.

Ballard had the best hip-check the league has ever seen. It'd probably cause an uproar and calls for it being an illegal hit if he ever did it in today's NHL though, since if you slightly miss and take out the knees or whatever it's a really dirty hit. Other teams and fans aren't going to see the nuance though and just assume it was dirty, especially considering how rarely you see it. No one is acclimatized to it so they immediately jump to dirty/dangerous play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad