Favorite All Time Blues Prospect That Didn't Pan Out

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I thought this might be something to kill time, while we wait for a hockey season. If I knew how to do a Poll, then we could do an all time top 10 or top 20. As I put in a previous post, I always like Denis Hamel. Played a bit for Buffalo, but couldn't stick in the NHL. Good size, tough, and put up good numbers. His best season in the Q. 50 goals 50 assists and 339 pim.

For the player who never touched the NHL, I choose Rick Corriveau who had 4 seasons in the OHL of over 60 points as a defenseman and 2 seasons over 80 points. ECHL is the best he ever made. Good size. Blues 2nd round pick who reentered the draft to be an 8th round pick of the Caps.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
I'm going way back but Gene Carr I believe was the 4th pick in the draft who put up big #s in juniors and could skate like the wind. He was traded early in his rookie year to the Rangers for Dupont, Murphy and Egers. Great trade for the Blues, Carr was a dissapointment.

I think his name was Scott Campbell. Big tough D man with some offense who the Blues drafted with their # 1 pick. He signed with the WHA. The Blues were able to get him after a few years but he suffered from migraines and I don't think he palyed 5 games for the Blues if any. Big dissapointment. Suppose to be a Rob Rammage type. His problems were due to health but a different kind of bust. Those two come to mind.

Reactions: ArenaRat

BlueSinceBirth

Jul 4, 2006
Is it too early to say Jonas Junland? I really thought he would end up quarterbacking the Blues power play. While not technically a bust, Marty Reasoner is a guy that I thought would have become more of an offensive threat.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
A few of mine:

- Bob Gassoff Jr., by all accounts is a great guy, I was hoping he would breakthrough.
- I was hopful Tomas Kana would become the next Esa Tikkanen.
- Tore Vikingstad... Best name ever!
- Kevin Plager, another legacy player, local to St. Louis.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I thought this might be something to kill time, while we wait for a hockey season. If I knew how to do a Poll, then we could do an all time top 10 or top 20. As I put in a previous post, I always like Denis Hamel. Played a bit for Buffalo, but couldn't stick in the NHL. Good size, tough, and put up good numbers. His best season in the Q. 50 goals 50 assists and 339 pim.

For the player who never touched the NHL, I choose Rick Corriveau who had 4 seasons in the OHL of over 60 points as a defenseman and 2 seasons over 80 points. ECHL is the best he ever made. Good size. Blues 2nd round pick who reentered the draft to be an 8th round pick of the Caps.

I have a couple: Petr Sejna. The Hobey Baker winner that most had high hopes for. Great beginning of his carear, then......

Zakharov and Hemmingway are two guys that we all had high hopes for. Hemmingway couldn't make it out of the ECHL and Zakharov came out of Jr. early after a fantastic WJC, where he out played AK47, and left for his homeland after 2 months in the AHL.

Of those, Zakharov was the one that many of the posters on hear had to eat a lot of crow over. We set him up as a top 6 guy and he didn't live up to it.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

sdaltons

Aug 17, 2010
I have a couple: Petr Sejna. The Hobey Baker winner that most had high hopes for. Great beginning of his carear, then......

Zakharov and Hemmingway are two guys that we all had high hopes for. Hemmingway couldn't make it out of the ECHL and Zakharov came out of Jr. early after a fantastic WJC, where he out played AK47, and left for his homeland after 2 months in the AHL.

Of those, Zakharov was the one that many of the posters on hear had to eat a lot of crow over. We set him up as a top 6 guy and he didn't live up to it.

I'm glad someone mentioned Peter Sejna!

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
Senja is a good one but he went undrafted and was signed as a free agent. There were high hopes for him.

Another is Tony Hrkac - 2nd round pick and Hobey Award winner. He carved himself out a long career bouncing up and down between the minors and the NHL. He scored 4 goals in one playoff game and tore up the minors. He had the great nick name but couldn't match the hype.

Mart Reasoner I thought of as well. The year he was drafted the draft was held in Boston and didn't the Bruins offer a stud for the Blues pick so they could draft local boy Reasoner but Keenan turned them down? Reasoner has had himself a Hrkac type career.

By the way Rick Corriveau had a major problem that did not help his career.

I cheated and went back and looked a past drafts. Two busts were Keith Osboene and Marty Ruff picked 12th and 20th respectively in the first round. (not in the same draft) Both produced next to nothing. Part of the Blues not having a bunch of busts was because they traded away their first round picks so often.

Last edited:

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
I must have messed up in posting but I brought up Felsner who I thought was going to e a stud. I believe played at Michigam and way back gorgeous George Morrison who I think played at U of Denver. Morrison never met a corner that he liked. Made Craig Janney look like a banger.

FUN topic.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
Mart Reasoner I thought of as well. The year he was drafted the draft was held in Boston and didn't the Bruins offer a stud for the Blues pick so they could draft local boy Reasoner but Keenan turned them down? Reasoner has had himself a Hrkac type career.

In 1996 the draft was held at the Kiel Center, it was the first draft I ever attended. I do remember reading somewhere that Keenan was pretty high on Reasoner.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
In 1996 the draft was held at the Kiel Center, it was the first draft I ever attended.

I was there too. I remember my brother and I looking at each other after they drafted Reasoner....Keenan will trade him...ha ha.

A guy with just ridiculous junior stats was Brian Propp. He had 94 goals and 100 assist one year.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Denny Felsner was someone that the hockey news and every other hockey entity was ready to make him the next star. 30 goals his freshmen year and 40 goals his junior and senior year in college. Just never translated to the next level. For a Blues fan, Felsner, Hemmingway, Roberts, etc., hard to get excited on college guys

As Tonoose would say regarding Denny Felsner "Strong like Bull, Smart like Streetcar" (supposedly either Hull or Shanahan made this remark as well).

My personal two were:
Carl Soderberg who looked like he was going to a very good 2nd line player.
Kyle Reeves who l could not believe fell as far as he did. Considering he was playing with Stu Barnes and lesser Sakic brother his points looked very good, in particular playing in the early 90's WHL.

Alas...nothing came from either player.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'm going way back but Gene Carr I believe was the 4th pick in the draft who put up big #s in juniors and could skate like the wind. He was traded early in his rookie year to the Rangers for Dupont, Murphy and Egers. Great trade for the Blues, Carr was a dissapointment.

I think his name was Scott Campbell. Big tough D man with some offense who the Blues drafted with their # 1 pick. He signed with the WHA. The Blues were able to get him after a few years but he suffered from migraines and I don't think he palyed 5 games for the Blues if any. Big dissapointment. Suppose to be a Rob Rammage type. His problems were due to health but a different kind of bust. Those two come to mind.

Picking Carr with that #4 overall pick was a disaster. How could he be a FAVOURITE Blues' prospect that didn't work out. He should be one of the LEAST favourites!

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Picking Carr with that #4 overall pick was a disaster. How could he be a FAVOURITE Blues' prospect that didn't work out. He should be one of the LEAST favourites!

because of the cool wavy blonde hair... He did have a 50 point season later in his career. He got to wear the awesome purple Kings jerseys too...ha ha.

I don't think you can call Soderburg a flop necessarily. He just wouldn't come over here and play like many of the Russians we drafted or Juha Matti Aaltonen who had a great year in the KHL last year. I think we finally gave up on Soderburg and traded him for someone elses problem child goaltender.

Reeves with the 89 goals...skating was not his forte.

I remember a 2nd round pick Morrisette who was the 2nd fastest skater in his draft year and had some size. I had high hopes for him, but his hands couldn't catch his feet evidently.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I don't think you can call Soderburg a flop necessarily. He just wouldn't come over here and play like many of the Russians we drafted or Juha Matti Aaltonen who had a great year in the KHL last year.
Only recently moved up from the second tier Malmo Redhawks to an SEL team.
Mostly because he was scared.

Flop...complete, utter, total flop.

I think we finally gave up on Soderburg and traded him for someone elses problem child goaltender.
How could you have forgotten Hannu "Nanu Nanu" Toivonen?

Reeves with the 89 goals...skating was not his forte.

True, but he was not slow enough to explain the complete lack of transition to a higher level. Plus...early 90's...he could have gotten away with the lack of speed in a few years.
It was as if coming to the IHL and not dominating totally destroyed him.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
So then, this thread should be retitled "Favourite Blues' Flop".

I was eluding to the point that the ladies seem to like Gene Carr flying around the ice with his long blonde hair, regardless of whether or not he could play. Garry Unger was kind of the same way. You could tell by his "helmet" who he was the moment he stepped on the ice...ha ha.

h22prelude93

Jan 27, 2010
St.Louis, Mo
Not really one of my favs, but Konstantin Barulin is a guy who I think could have had a very nice NHL career. Can't really blame him for staying in Russia though. A prospect I like, but didn't pan out for us is Aaron Palushaj. He has strong drive and worth ethic, and I think he still could carve out a solid career as a bottom six NHL forward.

Reactions: Bluesguru

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad