Confirmed with Link: Faulk to the Blues for Edmundson, Bokk

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Anaheim has plenty of cap space and Kase makes $2.6, so, yeah?
You really thought that trade was going to be straight up?!

Regardless Faulk used his no trade clause? Seems we were just looking for the best deal we could get, we wanted it done before this season started, and we obviously we were going to take money back. Bokk doesn’t make any money.

We wanted young forward, that seems obvious. We got one. We had to make the money work. Fleury didn’t have much if anything to do with this.

Not to mention this is stemming off MSP saying this trade wouldn’t have happened at all if Fleury had landed a job. Are you saying that’s true too?

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You guys are looking too much into our guys passing through waivers. They did it early and got some credit for that, all the teams are still too full with their own decisions to bring in a maybe at this point, even if they like him.

A little overboard on the “he’s crap no one even wanted him on waivers” boys.

This isn’t the same as waiving guys in the middle of the season. Every team is waiving guys right now that other teams might be able to use. It’s rare at this point guys get picked up, by any teams. It’s always seemed like an unspoken agreement that no one picks anyone up at this point, it’s always seemed odd some guys get through. The last cuts usually get some interest.

It’s not looking too much into it. The statement was guys like McKeown and Carrick are NHLrs on most other teams. The mental gymnastics trying to justify that when they don’t get picked up for free is what is too much. I think McKeown still has a chance because he’s a jack of all trades, master of none type guy so can probably hold his own, but most teams have their version of these guys which makes it tough.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It’s not looking too much into it. The statement was guys like McKeown and Carrick are NHLrs on most other teams. The mental gymnastics trying to justify that when they don’t get picked up for free is what is too much. I think McKeown still has a chance because he’s a jack of all trades, master of none type guy so can probably hold his own, but most teams have their version of these guys which makes it tough.
My post was replying to Hayley’s who said every team in the league passed on him so he isn’t worth anything.

Someone would make us take a contract back at this point, or they can’t rake a contract by itself until their own roster spots are secure. A waiver claim right now would be unusual. That’s why it was good we did it now. A month from now three teams who are short a righty (either through injury or no one able to keep a job) would all bid on him.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
You guys are looking too much into our guys passing through waivers. They did it early and got some credit for that, all the teams are still too full with their own decisions to bring in a maybe at this point, even if they like him.

A little overboard on the “he’s crap no one even wanted him on waivers” boys.

This isn’t the same as waiving guys in the middle of the season. Every team is waiving guys right now that other teams might be able to use. It’s rare at this point guys get picked up, by any teams. It’s always seemed like an unspoken agreement that no one picks anyone up at this point, it’s always seemed odd some guys get through. The last cuts usually get some interest.
I think I saw a quote from the Canes brass that they intentionally waived him at this point hoping that he would (better) pass.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Does anyone know if the rules about staying with the NHL team for a guy claimed off waivers is the same or different in the preseason as it is during the regular season? I wonder if that may also be playing a part for teams considering whether or not to make a claim on a guy like McKeown?

It looks like they don't and can't put players on waivers except on the Playing Season Waivers Period that starts 12 days prior the Regular Season starting. I think everyone did their first cuts only after the start of this Period, at least when waivers-exempt players were concerned. So there's only one set of rules for waivers.

13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season. Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Player may be Loaned to a club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except when elsewhere expressly prohibited:

(a) Regular Waivers were requested and cleared during the Playing Season Waiver Period; and

(b) the Player has not played in ten (10) or more NHL Games cumulative since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared, and more than thirty (30) days cumulative on an NHL roster have not passed since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared.

But you already were quoting the same article after this initial post of yours. I put this up for the posterity.

edit: no, wait, that was BBA. I messed up. But, as noted earlier, I think pre-season games don't count as "NHL games", which are a couple of sub-sections later defined as Regular Season games and Playoff games.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinJerkBen

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I believe "30 days cumulative" means that once the player has cleared the waivers, he can be sent down and called up without limits*, and only after he has been up in the NHL 30 days all together he need to be put on waivers again.

I guess this might explain some of the otherwise inexlicable sent-down-called-up-again moves. OR, it's a handy excuse for teams to get to pay AHL salary instead of NHL salary for a day or two between the games for the guys on two-way contracts.

(* Trade deadline obviously will impose the specific limits on call-ups.)

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Find it interesting that the Blues traded for him when they already have 2 top4 RHD on the roster. Granted one is UFA next year, but it’s their captain... so Faulk will be third pairing in St. Louis as well?

The big boys also mentioning it as well:

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-...se-domino-effect-for-remaining-rfas-1.1371684

The room will be different with both him and Williams not in there this year.. but we got good value back and I think it had to be done with Gardiner in the fold and the bad feelings that happened last year with Pesce. Don’t want a repeat this year with Faulk wanting more time in contract year.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Also have to realize that Fleury or McKeown on the bottom pair with Edmundson is a much, much different thing than Fleury or McKeown on the bottom pair with, say, Jake Bean.

I think this is the very reason they wanted Edmundson. If TVR was not injured, that need would not have been there.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Hola jerks. Blues fan coming in peace. Just hoping to get some pros/cons on Faulk...

Also I think y'all will like Eddy. At his best he's a very solid stay at home guy who's tough to play against and someone that plays a simple but effective game. Very willing to stick up for his teammates and protect his goaltender. Last season he had bit of trouble with his decision making (maybe trying to do too much) which I think kept him out of the lineup some nights but he's far from a lost cause IMO.

And pretty bummed we lost Bokk. He was one of the smoothest and creative stick handlers I've ever seen from our prospects. He also has good vision and shot. Wasn't blown away by his top end speed but is a solid skater that's good on his edges. From what I've heard the knock on him is his compete level and rumored complacency. Also needs to get stronger but that will come. WTS I was a huge fan of his.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My post was replying to Hayley’s who said every team in the league passed on him so he isn’t worth anything.

Someone would make us take a contract back at this point, or they can’t rake a contract by itself until their own roster spots are secure. A waiver claim right now would be unusual. That’s why it was good we did it now. A month from now three teams who are short a righty (either through injury or no one able to keep a job) would all bid on him.

That's fair. I've always liked McKeown even if I didnt' think he had much more than bottom pairing potential in the last couple of years. In the right situation, he could find himself as a 6/7 but won't surprise me if he doesn't ever make it either as there are a lot of guys like that.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Hola jerks. Blues fan coming in peace. Just hoping to get some pros/cons on Faulk...

Also I think y'all will like Eddy. At his best he's a very solid stay at home guy who's tough to play against and someone that plays a simple but effective game. Very willing to stick up for his teammates and protect his goaltender. Last season he had bit of trouble with his decision making (maybe trying to do too much) which I think kept him out of the lineup some nights but he's far from a lost cause IMO.

And pretty bummed we lost Bokk. He was one of the smoothest and creative stick handlers I've ever seen from our prospects. He also has good vision and shot. Wasn't blown away by his top end speed but is a solid skater that's good on his edges. From what I've heard the knock on him is his compete level and rumored complacency. Also needs to get stronger but that will come. WTS I was a huge fan of his.

All IMO. Faulk is a good defender when set up in the defensive zone. Consistently physical and tough to make plays against. If a forward doesn't have much room (or the skill) to skate then Faulk can effectively box guys in. He is a good skater. In technical ability he has a good slapshot and wrist shot but his decision making isn't always great about when to use them. He'd score more frequently if he could skate the puck into the slot or find some way to open lanes. When he finds himself in those spots with time and/or space he is a good shooter.

Faulk has some issues with transitional defense but it is more decision-making based than a lack of tools. His mistakes are often high-event ones that can be glaring even if they happen overall less frequently than the average defender. He will get caught flat footed or make a bad pinch or fail to save the zone in a way that strands him from the play. He is also not good at defending odd-man rushes. Just can't seem to make the right play consistently against a 2-on-1. Faulk isn't a great passer. All of these cons of Faulk really manifest themselves most visibly during 3-on-3 OT where the whole game is almost entirely transitional, the ice opens up, and decision making in order to create chances or maintain possession is key.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Not to mention this is stemming off MSP saying this trade wouldn’t have happened at all if Fleury had landed a job. Are you saying that’s true too?

I'll even go one step further and say that I'll bet we initiated the discussion with St. Louis when we found out Edmundson was available, and not the other way around. Faulk didn't *have* to go to St. Louis. There were 14 other teams on his list. But none of them had the third-pairing left defenseman that we needed with none of our young guys stepping up. We had to overpay at $3.1 million, but being on an expiring contract helped ease that issue.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'll even go one step further and say that I'll bet we initiated the discussion with St. Louis when we found out Edmundson was available, and not the other way around. Faulk didn't *have* to go to St. Louis. There were 14 other teams on his list. But none of them had the third-pairing left defenseman that we needed with none of our young guys stepping up. We had to overpay at $3.1 million, but being on an expiring contract helped ease that issue.
It was already said St Louis contacted us when the Anaheim thing fell though and re-engaged in talks.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
It was already said St Louis contacted us when the Anaheim thing fell though and re-engaged in talks.

Let me put it to you this way, if the Canes were fully prepared to give Haydn Fleury the third-pairing job and commit to him for the season, then the Faulk trade was stupid, and they'd have been better off keeping him (as has happened so many times previously). This group doesn't seem to do much stupid stuff.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Let me put it to you this way, if the Canes were fully prepared to give Haydn Fleury the third-pairing job and commit to him for the season, then the Faulk trade was stupid, and they'd have been better off keeping him (as has happened so many times previously). This group doesn't seem to do much stupid stuff.
They broke off contract talks. They were obviously trading him. They had no intention of having him for another year, letting him go for nothing and have the defense be oddly shaped again.

The Faulk trade was happening not matter what, unless he had zero value which he obviously didn’t.

I think they like having another TVR level guy, and they like having an extra defenseman or two. They have that now.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
"re-engaged" implied they were on our list previously, right?
It was said after it got out that Kase was being offered that other teams starting calling back and upping their offers, especially after the delay started with Anaheim.

That makes it seem like they low balled us like everyone else did until the Kase rumor went out then they upped their offer. We’re all speculating here but it seems to me they were taking the best offer they could get, and they didn’t mind having a third pairing vet dman from a cup champion for a year since they had to take money back anyways. STL needed someone to take Edmunson and his salary since he wasn’t a regular in the finals as it were and they’re obviously building the defense moving forward.

I think the cost of Bokk was taking a defenseman we could use. The idea that Fleury failed so badly they started calling around looking for 3rd pairing defense to sell Faulk off to receive seems outlandish. There’s no feedback coming from anywhere to support that. Faulk was going anyways.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
A Winning Team needs a mix of skill, speed and toughness.
Joel Edmundson is appreciated by his team-mates.

Reactions: cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad