Friedman: Faulk to Anaheim being worked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Friedman was told last night by a source that this trade is not likely to happen (in the first few minutes of this interview from this morning):

Elliotte Friedman on the Marner negotiations: 'It has been painful and personal' - Sportsnet.ca
Thanks. For those wanting to spend less time than I did listening about other rumors, the Faulk trade talk starts just before the 10:00 minute mark.

To paraphrase the details:
  • doesn't think it's going to happen, but not firm on that
  • deal seems to be in place and not contingent on a contract between the two teams, but up to Faulk to waive NTC which is contract related
  • thinks Faulk must start to see the "writing on the wall" about opportunity in contract year in Carolina
  • thinks the team will work to trade him to a destination he wants that may be "not on his list" (which seems to lend some credence to the list as a tool vs. places he "doesn't want to be")

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Thanks. For those wanting to spend less time than I did listening about other rumors, the Faulk trade talk starts just before the 10:00 minute mark.

To paraphrase the details:
  • doesn't think it's going to happen, but not firm on that
  • deal seems to be in place and not contingent on a contract between the two teams, but up to Faulk to waive NTC which is contract related
  • thinks Faulk must start to see the "writing on the wall" about opportunity in contract year in Carolina
  • thinks the team will work to trade him to a destination he wants that may be "not on his list" (which seems to lend some credence to the list as a tool vs. places he "doesn't want to be")

So it's the Duchene situation in 2017 all over again?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I didn't follow that too much, so I don't know what aspect you are referring to about that situation and this one.

Duchene asked for a trade the summer before, but didn't get his wish.

He reported to camp and was clearly unhappy but played for a month with the Avs.

Faulk knows he isn't being signed long term, so it could be an issue.

Reactions: MinJerkBen

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
So it's the Duchene situation in 2017 all over again?

Maybe, but keep in mind if this falls through it appears it will be because Faulk is choosing to stay in Carolina over going to Anaheim.

It's not Carolina refusing Anaheim's offer, or Anaheim feeling like Carolina is asking too much.

If Faulk were that unhappy about staying in Carolina, he could simply accept the trade to Anaheim and play out the season there.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Emphasis on that. They fall into the buy-low group for me.

Sure, and to be honest I'm fine with a minimal return but not the biggest Faulk fan right now based on the skills that he brings in his game and the rest of the Canes make up. Guys like Gardiner and Hamilton are substantially better on the offense side. Pesce and Slavin are substantially better on the defensive side. I suppose you could argue he's the most physical d-man but at his price point I think you can replace him with a younger much cheaper player with minimal fall off.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Maybe, but keep in mind if this falls through it appears it will be because Faulk is choosing to stay in Carolina over going to Anaheim.

It's not Carolina refusing Anaheim's offer, or Anaheim feeling like Carolina is asking too much.

If Faulk were that unhappy about staying in Carolina, he could simply accept the trade to Anaheim and play out the season there.

Anaheim seems to always have NTC players. We had Kesler and Bieksa. Also Corey perry. Anaheim needs to stray away from Faulk. As a budget team, we’re stuck with him and not able to make any moves. I’m sure other clubs feel the same way.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Anaheim seems to always have NTC players. We had Kesler and Bieksa. Also Corey perry. Anaheim needs to stray away from Faulk. As a budget team, we’re stuck with him and not able to make any moves. I’m sure other clubs feel the same way.

With the expansion draft coming up I bet teams are pretty reticent to hand out NTC's except for players they are positive they would want to keep and protect. After watching Vegas make out like bandits, no one wants to end up in a bind again where it costs them to keep guys they dont have protection slots for.

Reactions: 405Exit

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don’t know whether to correct your grammar or school you on where many NHLers in SoCal live (Newport Beach). Either way, both your grammar and your take need some work.
Good summation of life in California. You've obviously been here and your opinion warrants much respect.

Yes, he was trying to be snarky but he is correct about taxes (13.3% marginal rate on most of his earnings), very high housing prices, terrible freeway congestion, and lots of people many of whom are not quite "midwestern" in their people skills. For someone who values a rural lifestyle, southern california is not the place to be unless he wants to commute from Big Bear. And this from someone who has spent his entire life here.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Yes, he was trying to be snarky but he is correct about taxes (13.3% marginal rate on most of his earnings), very high housing prices, terrible freeway congestion, and lots of people many of whom are not quite "midwestern" in their people skills. For someone who values a rural lifestyle, southern california is not the place to be unless he wants to commute from Big Bear. And this from someone who has spent his entire life here.
I've lived here my entire life as well. To cite the negatives of living in a particular state, without mentioning any of the positives, isn't getting my respect. I'm sure every Duck, King, and Shark is praying they get traded somewhere else.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
On a serious note, I would bet that at least 10 of the 15 teams are on the west coast just because it is further from home.

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I've lived here my entire life as well. To cite the negatives of living in a particular state, without mentioning any of the positives, isn't getting my respect. I'm sure every Duck, King, and Shark is praying they get traded somewhere else.

Oh I agree but he wasn't trying to be serious. If you are a wealthy athlete in socal you can live a very nice life but it isn't the type of life that Faulk is interested in leading apparently and that is fine with me. He's a midwest boy with midwest values and lifestyle.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015

Different people like different things. Just because some love living in California and wouldn't rather be anywhere else, doesn't mean others can't hate the thought of living there. It's not a personal insult

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Most of the most dangerous citys in the USA are in the midwest(St Louis), northeast(Baltimore) & south east (New Orleans).
The area around Anaheim within Orange County is safe compared to rest of California. Even LA Lakers legend Magic Johnson lives in the OC instead of LA.
Some of our cities are the safest in terms of urban areas: Lake Forrest, Mission Viejo, Irvine are among the safest cities in america that have 90K+ people.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Most of the most dangerous citys in the USA are in the midwest(St Louis), northeast(Baltimore) & south east (New Orleans).
The area around Anaheim within Orange County is safe compared to rest of California. Even LA Lakers legend Magic Johnson lives in the OC instead of LA.
Some of our cities are the safest in terms of urban areas: Lake Forrest, Mission Viejo, Irvine are among the safest cities in america that have 90K+ people.
He may well have a trophy wife he feels will be tempted in the Oc ( just a hunch feeling )

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
The issue is he never mentioned congestion. Instead he listed high crime rates and people living on the streets.

I understand your point. To each his/her own. That said, I don’t find what the poster said to be accurate or amusing.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The issue is he never mentioned congestion. Instead he listed high crime rates and people living on the streets.

I understand your point. To each his/her own. That said, I don’t find what the poster said to be accurate or amusing.

Been out to OC a few times, and Anaheim my first time back in March. From what I saw, it’s a great area, especially the beaches like Laguna and Newport.

You guys should not have to defend your city or county. I live right outside of NYC, so I’ve seen it all, from homeless people in the street to high taxes, lol.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Different people like different things. Just because some love living in California and wouldn't rather be anywhere else, doesn't mean others can't hate the thought of living there. It's not a personal insult
But it's irritating to have to read a post about your home state that is so ignorant. Citing trite narratives, knowing nothing about the area in which most Duck players live, and using conditions (homelessness and high crime) which exist all over the country to represent the whole of California needs to be called out.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Duchene asked for a trade the summer before, but didn't get his wish.

He reported to camp and was clearly unhappy but played for a month with the Avs.

Faulk knows he isn't being signed long term, so it could be an issue.
Duchene played very well when the games happened. Actually was at the top of his game and which showed more leadership than he had before up to that point. He went out with his head held high in a crap situation imo.

It was really just the first day of camp when he got a lot of negative press for having a grumpy look on his face for his picture. A lot gets made of it because his teammates went public talking how glad they were the distraction was over.

Last edited:

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think the biggest concern for Faulk as fsr as his career is concerned is the opportunities he'll get this year in Carolina. They could have a major affect on his stats which may really hurt him in UFA. Hes negotiating from a position of strength right now. He had a good year and can control his destiny for the most part. Which is also probably why he is hesitant to go to the Ducks without an extension as none of the major analysts have the Ducks doing very well which can also hurt him in UFA if he got there or even just resigning with the Ducks at a later date.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I think that since the news broke of the pieces involved other teams called and maybe some of the other options were worth exploring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad