Confirmed with Link: Faulk & 5th to STL for Edmundson, Bokk, 2021 7th

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Probably already been answered but do you guys think the Blues traded for Faulk with the expectation that IF Petro doesn’t come back then Faulk can be that guy and slide up to try and fill his shoes or do you think they just wanted Faulk for who he is as a player right now?

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Probably already been answered but do you guys think the Blues traded for Faulk with the expectation that IF Petro doesn’t come back then Faulk can be that guy and slide up to try and fill his shoes or do you think they just wanted Faulk for who he is as a player right now?
Both to improve this years team and as insurance if Pietrangelo walks.

Reactions: BuLLeT1291

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Both to improve this years team and as insurance if Pietrangelo walks.

Is it realistic to think that they could honestly believe Faulk could ever be our next Petro? I don’t know. I just feel like with us having the entire year to figure it out they really jumped on Faulk early. Not that he has been bad or I don’t think he will work out. I just don’t want to be disappointed that in a year from now I keeping looking for Petro and I keep seeing Faulk. If that makes sense.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Is it realistic to think that they could honestly believe Faulk could ever be our next Petro? I don’t know. I just feel like with us having the entire year to figure it out they really jumped on Faulk early. Not that he has been bad or I don’t think he will work out. I just don’t want to be disappointed that in a year from now I keeping looking for Petro and I keep seeing Faulk. If that makes sense.

No it’s not realistic to believe that Faulk could be Pietro if An agreement couldn’t be made. I think the thought is though, if we weren’t going to be able to re-sign him we weren’t going to be able to regardless of this acquisition. It’s decent insurance and if he could play the left side with Pietro it filled our biggest hole on the team.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
People are overthinking this.

they were going to lose Edmundson for nothing, and felt he was overpaid or underperforming. There was an opportunity to get a player they liked for basically nothing. Knowing they could re-sign him, they:
1) improved the team for this year
2) created a plus value asset with term

It was simply a quality player available for peanuts, so Armstrong jumped on the opportunity.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
People are overthinking this.

they were going to lose Edmundson for nothing, and felt he was overpaid or underperforming. There was an opportunity to get a player they liked for basically nothing. Knowing they could re-sign him, they:
1) improved the team for this year
2) created a plus value asset with term

It was simply a quality player available for peanuts, so Armstrong jumped on the opportunity.

Bokk is the kicker. If he ends up being something then it’s not just peanuts. Also, which years of Faulk’s contract do you think are gonna sting?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Bokk is the kicker. If he ends up being something then it’s not just peanuts. Also, which years of Faulk’s contract do you think are gonna sting?
Probably the last two, but that’s also when he loses his full NMC so we can get out of it if necessary. I don’t think Army is worried about the 2025-26 season right now. We have a Cup to defend and Faulk certainly helps us do that better than Eddy would have.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think the forecast on Bokk needs to be revised, but I trust the scouts who decided to part with him. He’s a boom/bust prospect who is listing badly. Even if he pans out, what season will he be ready to contribute?

Reactions: TK 421

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think the forecast on Bokk needs to be revised, but I trust the scouts who decided to part with him. He’s a boom/bust prospect who is listing badly. Even if he pans out, what season will he be ready to contribute?
He is so skilled but.. This year in SEL he seems to have really regressed. I wouldn't rule out him becoming a good NHLer but I think chances of that are much less than I did before this season (I wrongly thought he would be above .5ppg in SEL and ready to come to NA next year). Looking like he is several years away from contributing much in NHL, if he ever does.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Bokk scored a nice goal today. I really liked him as a prospect, but his numbers in the SEL are pretty discouraging. We'll see if he turns it around. Blues aren't exactly starved for talented wingers, though, so even if he does I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over the deal.

Reactions: Blueston

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Bokk looks solid in the Under-20 tourney. He just needs more time. Very skilled and good size.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Bokk looks solid in the Under-20 tourney. He just needs more time. Very skilled and good size.
He’s still what he is — a while from being an NHLer, but he could end up better than Kostin, and on the same tier as Kyrou and Thomas. The skill was never the question, it was always the timeframe.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Bokk scored a nice goal today. I really liked him as a prospect, but his numbers in the SEL are pretty discouraging. We'll see if he turns it around. Blues aren't exactly starved for talented wingers, though, so even if he does I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over the deal.

Teenagers who are more “naturally” skilled, or are much larger than their peers tend to stand out at these tournaments. Every year, Russia has half of their roster filled out with guys that have insane puck and skating skills, or have incredible shots, but aren’t ever going to make it as NHLers. Heck, a lot of them don’t get drafted at all, and end up sort of bottoming out in Russian tweener-leagues.

The point being: it seems like Bokk mostly tries to coast on his natural skill, and when he is the most talented player on a roster (like Germany’s), and the system can be tailored to his specific skill set, he excels. But when Vaxjo or Rogle have asked him to bring his lunch pail in and do the rest of the work, he really struggles to do that. The same was sort of true of Thompson as well, although to a lesser extent: if you could get him set up with time for a one-timer, he could take over a game. But that leaves the rest of your team to do the hard stuff, and idk why vets would want to do that for a teenager with 4 points on the season. He doesn’t work, so he doesn’t produce, and when he doesn’t produce, he gets his ice time cut, which makes it harder for him to produce, which has (for the last two seasons) frustrated him, and instead of fighting for a better opportunity, he just sorta... stops producing altogether.

So, I’m sincerely glad he’s doing well in this tournament, and I love seeing Germany back in the WJCs, but I’m not upset about not having him as a prospect right now, per se. Didn’t love the trade, and I’m still not sold on Faulk (although he seems to be acclimating), but Bokk doesn’t seem like a huge loss right now.

Reactions: Blues0307

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He’s still what he is — a while from being an NHLer, but he could end up better than Kostin, and on the same tier as Kyrou and Thomas. The skill was never the question, it was always the timeframe.
I keep seeing people say he has tons of skill. I've watched a handful of his viewings and I never see it. I sure wouldnt put him on Thomas or Kyrou's level. What the heck am I missing?

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Faulk has finally settled in and looks to be a very capable player.

He is 27 years old, and has a new, five year deal from the Blues at 6.5 million per year. He doesn't appear to have missed much time from injuries in his career.

This seems to be a great deal for the Blues. Faulk was a co-captain for Carolina, and a three time All Star. We got him in his prime, and the contract term is just right.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Pietrangelo is the better player, but Faulk is pretty darn good is his own right. He is also two years younger than Pietrangelo, which is significant when you are talking about Pietrangelo on the verge of turning 30 years of age and in the last season of his contract with the Blues.

Reactions: Blueston

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

He is 27 years old, and has a new, five year deal from the Blues at 6.5 million per year. He doesn't appear to have missed much time from injuries in his career.

This seems to be a great deal for the Blues. Faulk was a co-captain for Carolina, and a three time All Star. We got him in his prime, and the contract term is just right.
7 years, not 5. He’ll turn 35 in his last season here, so it’s not that bad. The last couple of seasons may be rough, but that’s unforeseeable for now.

Last edited:

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I keep seeing people say he has tons of skill. I've watched a handful of his viewings and I never see it. I sure wouldnt put him on Thomas or Kyrou's level. What the heck am I missing?
Excellent shot, good hands, good to excellent speed, though not an explosive first stride. He struggles defensively, and his frame needs filling out. I really doubt he ever achieves all of that potential, but Carolina is definitely the system that he could do it in, as Morty has said.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Don’t tell that to anyone around here. The consensus is that it’s a terrible extension. I’ve never understood that opinion. It’s a fair salary and a term that gives the contract value.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Excellent shot, good hands, good to excellent speed, though not an explosive first stride. He struggles defensively, and his frame needs filling out. I really doubt he ever achieves all of that potential, but Carolina is definitely the system that he could do it in, as Morty has said.
I just dont see any of that when I've seen some of his euro stuff. Not saying you're wrong, I just have yet to see it. He's underwhelmed me from what I've seen. It's always been odd because the reports were always promising

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I just dont see any of that when I've seen some of his euro stuff. Not saying you're wrong, I just have yet to see it. He's underwhelmed me from what I've seen. It's always been odd because the reports were always promising
But that makes sense — his number one critique is consistency and putting it all together.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad