Confirmed with Link: Faulk & 5th to STL for Edmundson, Bokk, 2021 7th

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think Binnington is a very solid #1 goaltender who makes the saves he's suppose to make and some saves he isn't suppose to make. I couldn't ask for more than that. That being said, Binnington isn't the best goaltender in the league. There are other goaltenders like Price and Gibson who have better all around ability (technique, reaction time, athleticism, flexibility, etc). It's also hard to tell how good Binnington really is when he is pretty insulated behind the best defense in the league. Husso might actually have the potential for higher all around ability. That is important because Binnington is a UFA in 2 years. Let's say Seattle takes Husso and Binnington leaves. Then what?

Binner is a UFA the summer of the expansion draft. If we haven't worked out an extension with him by that point, we would not be protecting him over Husso. The expansion draft takes place less than a week before pending UFAs can start talking with all NHL teams. If you haven't extended your pending UFA by then, you aren't protecting him in the expansion draft.

We're not losing Binner and Husso in the same summer. That is arguably the only good thing about the duration of the contract we gave to Binner.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Agree - Armstrong over thought this deal - not a good move.

The trade was fine, and if Bokk never develops into an NHL player (looks like a real possibility), it was a win for the Blues. The extension, however, was baffling. He wasn't worth it at the time, and he looks worse here than in CAR.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Faulk is starting to play real good hockey. He scored GWG the other night and was a force out there tonight. Trending up, guy is a borderline elite d-man when he is going well.

Reactions: HighNote

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Elite is a stretch but I think over the past couple of games -last night in particular- we're starting to see the defenseman we were all hoping and expecting to see. He was active in the offensive zone, broke up some plays with his stick, and sealed Avs forwards off on the boards well. I really think adjusting to a new team where he was essentially the only new guy, playing his offside, and playing on different d pairs over the course of a couple of games really took a toll. I still don't necessarily like the extension but he's showing he can be an asset to the team.

Reactions: Blueston

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Definitely not elite, but I don't know how you can watch Faulk these past 10-15 games and not see the gigantic improvements that were made. He's a lot more aggressive in the offensive zone and his defensive play has not been a huge concern to me. I loved the play where he saw a seam in the Colorado D and just drove the net on the backhand and almost scored. Also noticed that Berube is putting him back on the 2nd PP over Parayko which I like.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
What was he doing on the Kadri goal? It's like he wanted to take the point man off of the face off and completely wandered on the play. I doubt that was a set play that has our D-man pushing up that much on the point. He just makes really odd plays from time to time and the offense hasn't paid off for the lapses yet...

Reactions: STLBLUES44

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Definitely not elite, but I don't know how you can watch Faulk these past 10-15 games and not see the gigantic improvements that were made. He's a lot more aggressive in the offensive zone and his defensive play has not been a huge concern to me. I loved the play where he saw a seam in the Colorado D and just drove the net on the backhand and almost scored. Also noticed that Berube is putting him back on the 2nd PP over Parayko which I like.
Agree 100%.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
What was he doing on the Kadri goal? It's like he wanted to take the point man off of the face off and completely wandered on the play. I doubt that was a set play that has our D-man pushing up that much on the point. He just makes really odd plays from time to time and the offense hasn't paid off for the lapses yet...
Yeah idk that was brutal, then he follows it up 20 seconds later with a brutal line change that sprung nichuskins breakaway.

outside of those two plays I do agree with other posters here saying he’s playing a lot better.
My biggest concerns for me are his gap control and stick detail in the D-Z. When his gap is loose he tends to get exposed, when he’s tight and/or surfing(skating forwards toward the man with the puck and angling) he’s really solid because he moves well.
He’s been very good with the puck on his stick as of late in every zone. I really hope he can continue to improve his overall game, especially on the defensive side and we could be in serious business with him on top of Petro, Dunn, Parayko etc...

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Our defense is flat out nasty. I mean it’s just disgusting the guys we are rolling out when you think about it. Petro, Parayko and Bouwmeester is an absolute luxury. They’re all huge with a long reach and can skate. That’s why we can shut down top lines like MacKinnon even with all their speed. Nobody else can roll out 3 elite shutdown guys like that. Then you have Faulk who can also skate, move the puck and has been real solid defensively lately too. That’s an absurd top 4.

Really allows us to shelter Dunn and give him easier matchups.

Our defensive core is so f***ing good. And Faulk has been playing well. Hopefully the puck starts going in for him more. I just love that we can roll Parayko-Petro and Bouwmeester-Faulk and have the best top 4 in the NHL.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He looked lost on that play, but:
  • he hasn't played much on left side so willing to cut a bit of slack
  • Kadri was most likely Schenn's guy- where was he?

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Still don’t like this trade or signing. If Faulk was a left handed left dman I would be ok with it. Would balance our top 4. I don’t see the point in spending the assets and cap for Faulk to play 3rd pair or someone on their offside.we are in big trouble if Petro walks and a jbow retires. I’m guessing that’s why Army made this trade..

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Still don’t like this trade or signing. If Faulk was a left handed left dman I would be ok with it. Would balance our top 4. I don’t see the point in spending the assets and cap for Faulk to play 3rd pair or someone on their offside.we are in big trouble if Petro walks and a jbow retires.

The bolded is true no matter what the Blues did/do. While Faulk is not a replacement for Petro, the Blues are in objectively better shape with Faulk than without Faulk if we lose Petro and J-Bo in the same summer. There will be no available D who could fill that void more effectively than Faulk without costing significantly more than Faulk.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
So this is first time we see Faulk - Pietro pair work. I still doesn't understand why we want to pay him 6.5mill.$

What about ~10mmill.$ for Pietro, Parayko 5.5mill.$ and Faulk 6.5mill.$ = 22mill.$ on right side or best possible situation top3 if and IF Faulk can play his offside.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I like Faulk a lot. He keeps getting better and better the more comfortable he’s getting. Love how he jumps up in a play. He’s Shatty 2.0 than can actually play D. More physical than Shatty too.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I like Faulk a lot. He keeps getting better and better the more comfortable he’s getting. Love how he jumps up in a play. He’s Shatty 2.0 than can actually play D. More physical than Shatty too.

To be honest, and I only realized this recently, Faulk kind of plays like a right-handed, veteran version of Dunn. Both undersized, but not afraid to throw hits or scrap. Prone to the occasional defensive lapse and may get caught out of position, but can hold their own most of the time on D. Both of them look like they should produce more points with their skill set, but can also skate well and use their quickness to create chances in the O zone.

I know we hope Dunn's ceiling is higher but I can see him end up with a career that looks a lot like Faulk's, and that's not a bad thing.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I’m glad people are starting to realize the criticism on Faulk might have been a little unwarranted. He’s really good, and it usually takes some time for players to fit in to a new system.

I get people don’t like the extension, but by the end of the year, I expect people to be very pleased with this deal.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I have really liked Faulk's last month of hockey. If that is the Faulk we get 90% of the time, then it is a very good extension IMO. It will still sting at the end, but that is the cost of buying a D man's late 20s and early 30s at a reasonable AAV. And if the plan is to expose him at the Expansion draft in order to protect Petro, Parayko, Dunn and 7 forwards, then Seattle would be happy to take him if he is playing at this level.

Now, we have no assurance that this is the Faulk we will get from here on out, but I would put my money on that if I had to. This is about the level Faulk looked for most his time in Carolina and some guys have rocky adjustment periods with a new team (especially when they don't get the benefit of a full training camp). We'll see, but this is the Faulk I expected when the trade happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad