GDT: Fat, washed, slow with bad hip Swedish center vs best goal scorer in the game who will definitely hit 65 goals on the season, 7:07pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I don't care what VV numbers are, he should not be a playoff starter unless the other goalie is injured or struggling really bad. Goalies who just play it safe, which is exactly the type of goalie VV is, will just come up short for the team in the playoffs.

Playing it safe is exactly what you want from any goalie not named Hasek or Quick. Especially when neither of our goalies are close to that talent level, then positioning and playing it safe is the way to go.

Now if you could combine VV and Sammy into one goalie that would be an amazing goalie. But gene splicing doesn't work that well yet and then the "safe" option is the best option. I guarantee you that with Sammy in net, the Caps won't win a single playoff game. That might happen with VV aswell but at least then the other team won't just have to throw pucks on net and then wait for the puck to slowly glide into the net.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I have news for you. VV could get smoked as much as Sammy, even though VV plays a more controlled/calm type of game! If the Caps face the Panthers in the playoffs, the team will have to strongly support Sammy/VV. The Team will have to find a way to slow down the Panthers, while one of our goalies needs to come up with some big saves. Team Defense can defeat high powered offensive teams, if the coaching/players execute the game plan smartly.

Yeah, i mean our odds are small enough as it is against the Panthers. But even good team defense does nothing against unscreened shots from the point and zero rebound control. Look at Sammys saves. Usually the puck even bounces of his glove hand which is VERY bad for a goalie at the NHL level.

Reactions: Drakon

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
The scorpion save technique, no goalie coach teaches that. It's an instinct attempt by the goalie at making a desperate save attempt! Hasek made it an art, but over the years Quick was known to do it. Vasilevskiy, Bobrovsky or Fleury are probably the only goalies that would even attempt to try that technique in a desperate situation.
sure they taught it after hasek..for the athletic goalies that could pull it off..somewhere in his training sammy was taught this...the fact that our goalie coach allowed sammy to do it for so long is mind boggling..

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Yeah, i mean our odds are small enough as it is against the Panthers. But even good team defense does nothing against unscreened shots from the point and zero rebound control. Look at Sammys saves. Usually the puck even bounces of his glove hand which is VERY bad for a goalie at the NHL level.
Yeah, I put 3 of the 4 goals scored on Sammy last night directly on him. Either through inability to play the puck properly or bad goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad