Rumor: Farhan Lalji: "Internal Belief" Canucks can do something with Sutter and/or Eriksson

moegillknee

Jul 30, 2016
Canucks could nullify Eriksson contract by trading for Kesler (ltir ) contract. Both are same length and almost same cap hit.sending Eriksson to the minors and save another mill.
However I see leafs Dubas making this move.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
when vancouver is entertaining needing to dump off sutter and/or eriksson, there is the potential for a deal here

if lucic/Neal could happen, there's always one desperate scenario to move bad contracts. backes just got move to anaheim. ladd almost got moved for Parise, it's not nearly as impossible as you may think
The Canucks are not trading contracts that are up in 1-2 years for Seabrook, who has 4 years left.

Reactions: Cogburn

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
when vancouver is entertaining needing to dump off sutter and/or eriksson, there is the potential for a deal here

if lucic/Neal could happen, there's always one desperate scenario to move bad contracts. backes just got move to anaheim. ladd almost got moved for Parise, it's not nearly as impossible as you may think
Send us dach

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Loui for Cory Schneider?

or if not that, what would the Canucks be willing to give to NJ for them to take that Eriksson contract?
Reality to the delusional Canucks Management, is that they made their bed, now they have to lie in it.

For all of the years that they were bad and should have been collecting assets at the TDL from 2016-2019, all they have to show for it is Tyler Motte and hopefully Linus Karlsson. Thus, there are no extra assets to give away. They decided to be more competitive for the twins final couple of seasons, thus handing out more term to secure the player.

Now the extensions for Hughes/Pettersson are a year away. That has to be the #1 priority this off-season, even if they don't get them signed. It is to ensure that there is sufficient cap space (I'm guessing $18 mill based on comps for Eichel/Mathews/Chabot/Provorov) to fit the 2 cornerstones on the roster first. Cause they also have to pay Boeser, Myers, Horvat, Miller over $22.5 mill combined. Add the other $18 mill from Hughes/Pettersson, that is $40.5 mill, so half the salary cap.

So, as much as they want to make another run in 2021, they can't be locking themselves into term unless they have the cap space to take care of their key guys. Cause, there is not going to be a run without them. Pay the top guys first, then fit everyone in afterwards.

Reactions: Erep

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The point of giving Sutter away is to not take a player back to give us cap relief, we can’t take a player back. I think a team will bite on Sutter, he’s a player a lot of GMs like and he’s a UFA next summer so it’s low risk.

How many teams do you think have $4.5M in free space? I thought he has a ntc limiting where he can go.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How many teams do you think have $4.5M in free space? I thought he has a ntc limiting where he can go.
MNtc. But I agree there are few teams with that kind of cap and those that have it would want something for taking him.

but again, the Canucks now have to face the reality that their top 6 guys will soon account for 50% of the salary cap after Hughes and Petterson get paid. So get as many guys off the cap that you don’t truly need to first get your two guys signed.

then you can figure out how to allocate the remaining 50% of the cap to the other 17 skaters.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I think that's seabrooks ego though, he thinks he can contribute and the reality is with his contract, he can't. I think he faces a cold reality that nobody will play him anymore and is it worth just practicing and press boxing it for the next handful of years and be away from your family when your body is clearly shot. don't know if he will retire, but he might have to accept a LTIR reality in order to keep his money and realize he can't really play anymore

That's still not giving us in Vancouver a reason to take any kind of risk on him.

Being a local boy isn't a selling point for us. Karyia and Recchi were local boys. The Reinharts are local boys. Lucic is a local boy. Kerfoot, Kane, Price and Brouwer are all local boys. We want nothing to do with them. (Someone else brought up the fact he grew up in Richmond). I think their families might be the only locals that care one way or the other if they play for the Canucks.

As for moving Eriksson and Sutter, even in one deal for Seabrook, that simply can't happen. As a more constructive question, are you prepared to badly damage the Blackhawks' future to move Seabrook to Vancouver, factoring both of our mentioned cap dumps?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Loui for Cory Schneider?

or if not that, what would the Canucks be willing to give to NJ for them to take that Eriksson contract?

The idea would be straight up, so we buy Schneider out.

I support the idea though.

No. Schneider is owed significantly more real dollars than Loui.

He is owed 2 million for 4 seasons if bought out. That is a lot easier to deal with, compared to 6 million over two.

Plus it's not our money. If it breaks the Aquilinis and forces them to live on the streets, I'm all for it. I hate those guys.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
The point of giving Sutter away is to not take a player back to give us cap relief, we can’t take a player back. I think a team will bite on Sutter, he’s a player a lot of GMs like and he’s a UFA next summer so it’s low risk.

Couldn't agree more. I could be way off base here and won't argue if anyone has a contention with it, but doesn't Sutter just fit the bill of that player that GM's just salivate over, while fans are left scratching their heads?

When he is on his game, he is pretty good defensively, shows a great shot once in a blue moon, and is a really good mentor type for young guys. While it wouldn't surprise me to have a to add a pick to get rid of him, it also wouldn't surprise me if some older school GM have up a 2nd/3rd because sometimes GM's are just voodoo like that....

Reactions: deckercky and iFan

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
2 seasons ago Botchford said Benning gets the most calls about Sutter. He said about 4 teams were interested in Sutter. 2 season ago has 3 years left on his contract, now he has one year left, Sutter did decline a little however I still think there some teams would be interested if they keep 1.3 M of the salary. 1 Million replacement player so Canucks saves about 2 million. I don't think Canucks even need to give up an asset for a team to take Sutter

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Couldn't agree more. I could be way off base here and won't argue if anyone has a contention with it, but doesn't Sutter just fit the bill of that player that GM's just salivate over, while fans are left scratching their heads?

When he is on his game, he is pretty good defensively, shows a great shot once in a blue moon, and is a really good mentor type for young guys. While it wouldn't surprise me to have a to add a pick to get rid of him, it also wouldn't surprise me if some older school GM have up a 2nd/3rd because sometimes GM's are just voodoo like that....
There is not benefit to adding picks to move Sutter. Right now the Canucks should be planning on shifting $3.4 mill of his cap hit towards Petey and Hughes when it expires in 2021. Going out and spending sutter’s cap hit on someone else with term means that they have to give up assets to move Eriksson or Beagle the following year to free up cap space.

Canucks simply can’t operate with just a focus on next seasons. What they do this off season will impact what they can do in 2021. Kind of like the Jets in 2018. They knew Connor and Laine were due up in 2019, so they couldn’t take on term because they knew they had to pay those two guys in 2019.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Sutter for Russell. Believe it.
Vancouver is likely looking to save cap, not salary. Russell is very tradeable, but to a team who needs to save real cash, and can/wants to absorb extra cap space.

Having said that, the Oilers would want Sutter.

I'd suggest Jujhar Khaira. Emerging as our 4c, but we could try Haas there. Big, and physical. He's from Surrey, so I think Vancouver would like it. He has a low cap hit and is RFA in 2021. The Oilers like him too though. I think with retention on Sutter it would be done.

The other potential player to trade is Chiasson, 1 year left at 2.1 AAV. Good hands, good net presence, smart bottom sixer. No retention on Sutter for that one.

Of course if you are itching for Kassian back that can be arranged :naughty:

Reactions: deckercky

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

2 seasons ago Botchford said Benning gets the most calls about Sutter. He said about 4 teams were interested in Sutter. 2 season ago has 3 years left on his contract, now he has one year left, Sutter did decline a little however I still think there some teams would be interested if they keep 1.3 M of the salary. 1 Million replacement player so Canucks saves about 2 million. I don't think Canucks even need to give up an asset for a team to take Sutter

Yep. There are still a lot of "hockey men" who would value Brandon Sutter. Certainly at 50% retention the Canucks wouldn't have to pay to get rid of him.

The issue is Sutter is the least of the Canucks' cap concerns. It's only for one more year, so they can just eat it if need be (won't interfere with the Petey/Hughes extensions). Second, he's actually a useable player. His faceoff and PK skills are still viable, and in a purely defensive orientation, he doesn't get caved in too badly in terms of shot share/chances. He's actually decent at what people think Jay Beagle is good at.

And here are the bigger issues. Beagle's contract, and effect on the team, is much worse. Loui Eriksson...it's obvious. Roussell? Not a good contract. Tyler Myers? Massively overpaid and will be a millstone going forward. Ferland? Relegated to LTIRland (which is not a good thing...you still have to be cap compliant at some point to "activate" LTIR space and you can't accrue cap space throughout the season).

Those non-Sutter contracts are going to be near impossible to get rid of. Huge problem.

Reactions: Pertti

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Loui Eriksson has been paid 31 million dollars so far for 89 points, so yeah, if your team wasn't enticed to trade for him there's that bit of info to sway you.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The cost will be large on LE.

Less so on Sutter.

There’s always a price for a deal and knowing Benning and him being allergic to picks, I can easily see picks being given away to get a deal done.

Detroit and Ottawa seem the likeliest of destinations (obviously).

$8M left, dunno if I'd bet on Ottawa.

I'd take him in a heartbeat, the issue is Vancouver doesn't have a 1st or a 2nd this year, and next year's draft sucks.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
$8M left, dunno if I'd bet on Ottawa.

I'd take him in a heartbeat, the issue is Vancouver doesn't have a 1st or a 2nd this year, and next year's draft sucks.

It's actually 5 million left (provided signing bonuses were paid out as per normal, Eriksson would have received 3 million on July 15th.) So 5 million real money over the next two seasons, 6 million per on the cap.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Vancouver is likely looking to save cap, not salary. Russell is very tradeable, but to a team who needs to save real cash, and can/wants to absorb extra cap space.

Having said that, the Oilers would want Sutter.

I'd suggest Jujhar Khaira. Emerging as our 4c, but we could try Haas there. Big, and physical. He's from Surrey, so I think Vancouver would like it. He has a low cap hit and is RFA in 2021. The Oilers like him too though. I think with retention on Sutter it would be done.

The other potential player to trade is Chiasson, 1 year left at 2.1 AAV. Good hands, good net presence, smart bottom sixer. No retention on Sutter for that one.

Of course if you are itching for Kassian back that can be arranged :naughty:

Sutter was never a great skater and it’s only declined with age. I used to really like Sutter but he’s closer to a 4C then a 3C at this point. The Oilers will be able to find a better option likely cheaper too. Also they don’t need to be helping a division rival out of a cap jam.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Best chance the Canucks have is to attach an attractive piece like Demko or Virtanen and move a bad contract.

will be hard to move these guys especially with the cap no increasing. Cap space is at an all time premium and both of these guys are absolute plugs.

maybe Sutter improved his value from an F to a C-. Eriksson has negative value and should be bought out.

maybe they could recoup a 3rd rounder if they attached Virtanen to Sutter.

The cap saved in the first year of an Eriksson buyout is next to none, and the year after he still costs $3.5M. At that point, they'd be farther ahead trading him with retention to lessen the blow of the asset cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad