Farabee blindside on Perreault (Update: 3-Game Suspension) )

Merchant

Feb 3, 2008
Argue the comparables and minute details all you want, a gut check should tell you that 3 games is beyond the norm for this type of hit by a first-time offender.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Borowiecki hit Konecny about .3 seconds after Konecny touched the puck. Farabee hit Perreault a full second after Perreault passed the puck. The two hits aren't in the same stratosphere, so I'm not sure why Flyers fans are bringing it up in this thread.

I feel like all objectivity over how little a period of time a second is has gone out of the window here. 0.7 seconds is a flash of time.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Borowiecki hit Konecny about .3 seconds after Konecny touched the puck. Farabee hit Perreault a full second after Perreault passed the puck. The two hits aren't in the same stratosphere, so I'm not sure why Flyers fans are bringing it up in this thread.

no it wasn't. The difference between the two hits was only .3 seconds apart. .3. This is a rookie with no history. If the refs called the cross check before farabee hit toothpick perrault this hit never would've happened. Absolutely no reason Farabee gets THREE GAMES when cernak AND kerfoot only got TWO. Both of those were way worse and had more potential to do more damage, injury wise. No head contact even though it was a really late hit. Stupid play by farabee, no doubt, but three games? No way

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I'm surprised at 3, I thought for sure he would get 1-2. Its not like 3 is really far off though. It was a bad hit and he had plenty of time to see the situation and not make that hit.
especially since they already handed him a game misconduct so he's kind of missing 4+ and their team got shellacked during the 5 min penalty.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I feel like all objectivity over how little a period of time a second is has gone out of the window here. 0.7 seconds is a flash of time.

That's just not true out there on the ice. That's why you so seldom see hits that are as late as Farabee's was. One second is plenty of time on the ice, and Farabee spent that second deciding to blow up a defenseless player that was ineligible to hit. If Farabee lacks the ability to make decisions in a seconds time out on the ice, he probably should head straight down to the AHL after he serves his suspension.

no it wasn't. The difference between the two hits was only .3 seconds apart. .3. This is a rookie with no history. If the refs called the cross check before farabee hit toothpick perrault this hit never would've happened. Absolutely no reason Farabee gets THREE GAMES when cernak AND kerfoot only got TWO. Both of those were way worse and had more potential to do more damage, injury wise. No head contact even though it was a really late hit. Stupid play by farabee, no doubt, but three games? No way

No? You can go frame by frame on the YouTube video of the Konecny hit and check what fraction of frames pass between when Konecny touches the puck and gets hit, compared to the number of frames passed over a full seconds time. It's between 0.3 and 0.4 seconds. I.e. between 0.6 and 0.7 seconds shorter than the time passed between when Perreault passed the puck and Farabee hit him.

I've already responded to the assertion that Farabee only blew up Perreault because he took a crosscheck in front of the net beforehand. That makes the hit retaliatory, which makes it MORE likely that he'll face a suspension because of it. If that was his defense to the DoPS, the 3 game suspension doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Chicken Chaser

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mar 21, 2009
St. James's Gate
MP should be more aware of his surroundings... fair enough. He shouldn't have to be concerned with getting leveled in that particular situation though.

The corners are one of the most hit concentrated areas on the entire rink, especially if you just passed the puck. Dafuq are you talking about?

One thing I always made sure to do in my playing days, was to make behind the back passes, ESPECIALLY while looking in the opposite direction in which my body was moving. I mean what could possibly go wrong??

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
The corners are one of the most hit concentrated areas on the entire rink, especially if you just passed the puck. Dafuq are you talking about?

One thing I always made sure to do in my playing days, was to make behind the back passes, ESPECIALLY while looking in the opposite direction in which my body was moving. I mean what could possibly go wrong??

When eligible to be hit... sure.

It's almost as though he looked back to make sure his guy was there before making his play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad