Far Cry 5 confirmed. New location is...

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
It's more Witcher 3 influenced than Horizon: Zero Dawn influenced. It was pretty widely reported during the year off that Ubsioft was looking at Witcher 3 as a touch-point to evolve their mechanics and mission design.
Thats fine. It feels a lot more like Horizon to me. Heck the controls are almost the same too.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Video games "desensitizing" people to violence is an absurd assertion that has no basis in reality. The difference between seeing a computer generated, fake person being killed and seeing an actual human being killed is astronomical.
What is this, 1992? Can't believe someone is actually arguing a link between video game violence and real world violence. What an absurd thing to say, especially considering the studies proving how wrong that claim has always been

That was the point, to show how people make absurd, baseless judgments of your past time much like how you can make them of theirs. One involves playing army man virtually and the other involves playing army man a little more realistically. Neither means that you're "ridiculous" or "dangerous to society." There are no studies linking private militias in the US with real world violence, either. A person who likes to collect guns for protection, hunting or target practice wouldn't appreciate being called ridiculous and dangerous any more than you would for your violent video game addiction. It's easy to simply make judgments and assumptions of a person's intentions and mental state when you don't really have any knowledge of what you're talking about. That's what led to the censorship attempt in the 90s that you're alluding to by legislators who had never played a video game.

Reactions: SpoolCat

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
That was the point, to show how people make absurd, baseless judgments of your past time much like how you can make them of theirs. One involves playing army man virtually and the other involves playing army man a little more realistically. Neither means that you're "ridiculous" or "dangerous to society." There are no studies linking private militias in the US with real world violence, either. A person who likes to collect guns for protection, hunting or target practice wouldn't appreciate being called ridiculous and dangerous any more than you would for your violent video game addiction. It's easy to simply make judgments and assumptions of a person's intentions and mental state when you don't really have any knowledge of what you're talking about. That's what led to the censorship attempt in the 90s that you're alluding to by legislators who had never played a video game.

You're way off base comparing FPS games to own real, deadly guns and rifles. This is a political discussion, not a videogame one so I'll just leave it at that.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You're way off base comparing FPS games to own real, deadly guns and rifles. This is a political discussion, not a videogame one so I'll just leave it at that.

It's not off base to bring up how others once felt that your past time is "dangerous to society" when you're suggesting that how others spend their time is. Gamers, of all people, ought to know better than to judge people for what they do privately and recreationally. That was the point.

Last edited:

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
A protagonist with seemingly no training becoming a superhuman killer, that aspect just never stopped feeling ridiculous at any point.
I won't get into more details than needed, as not to spoil, but you're not a civilian who suddenly knows how to shoot a plethora of guns this time.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
In the end... it's a video game. Much like a fictional book or song. Some people get all rah rah behind political messages in the fictional media, some just enjoy the ride.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Ahh yes, the massive amount of religious cults and militia in the USA today. :laugh:

At least that's what TV want's you to believe.

Uh....have you ever been to Montana? Montana & Idaho are particularly lousy with these sovereign citizen gun hoarders once you get outside of civilization. A drive through Lincoln, Montana is a drive through a forest riddled with 'NO TRESSPASSING' signs riddled with bullet holes.

Sovereign citizens make up about 90% of my list of things about Montana that I didn't absolutely adore about living there, and this clearly isn't some sort of new phenomenon (the Unabomber set up shop there in the 70s).

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Uh....have you ever been to Montana? Montana & Idaho are particularly lousy with these sovereign citizen gun hoarders once you get outside of civilization. A drive through Lincoln, Montana is a drive through a forest riddled with 'NO TRESSPASSING' signs riddled with bullet holes.

Sovereign citizens make up about 90% of my list of things about Montana that I didn't absolutely adore about living there.
Actually spent lots of time in both and in the Yellowstone area. If people want to live scared of things that really aren't a big deal / issue then by all means let the media run your life. Been back woods in both those states many times on many different trips. There is nothing as massive or insane as others would have you believe.

You go to more "liberal" areas like colleges and big cities and that's where most of these mass shootings and crap are happening. Just as scary... which honestly, shouldn't be very much, anywhere. These cults / gun lovers / militia crap is so blown out of proportion. When this game comes out it will be a hot topic in a small corner of the gaming community and then a few months later when the next big thing comes out everyone will forget about it.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Obviously things are being ratcheted to 11 because, you know, video game (also applies to action movies for the same basic reason), but this has been a setting and subject I've been wanting to see a game challenge since I lived there. Montana has attracted rejects for as long as it's been a state, and I include myself in that...that'll happen when you have a huge, sparsely populated isolation with some of the most beautiful land in the country (Western Montana is, for my money, the most beautiful part of the lower 48).

If you're going to set a Far Cry game in the US, Montana is the only setting that would have made sense to me. It's the perfect setting for an open world map. Now how they handle things...we'll see. I've never exactly pinned Ubisoft as masters of storytelling. Odds are it'll be a disposable story that is more based around driving gameplay than making any real social commentary of value. Open world games generally aren't the best for nailing a narrative anyway, and I doubt anyone wants the 5th game of the series to all-of-a-sudden become a focused 12 hour serious narrative (and let's be real...who would even want that right now)?

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Obviously things are being ratcheted to 11 because, you know, video game (also applies to action movies for the same basic reason), but this has been a setting and subject I've been wanting to see a game challenge since I lived there. Montana has attracted rejects for as long as it's been a state, and I include myself in that...that'll happen when you have a huge, sparsely populated isolation with some of the most beautiful land in the country (Western Montana is, for my money, the most beautiful part of the lower 48).

If you're going to set a Far Cry game in the US, Montana is the only setting that would have made sense to me.

I think Far Cry 5 is also the only game of the series where it's taking place in a state/country that actually exists.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
FarCry 3&4 weren't some "great commentary", they were just cool and dangerous stories with a narrative that justified running around with guns and killing baddies while fighting for your survival. Why expect FC5 to be anything different except this time it's religious crazies who own a lot of guns?

I still think this is true. I'm not expecting some profound statement on gun violence from this game. I'm only expecting it to be the general theme.

FC3: A group of rich white kids from California have their dream vacation ruined by being somewhere dangerous and not caring about the consequences

FC4: A guy with little to no connection with his parents travels abroad to find himself and to find out more about where he came from. He's then forced to choose between religious fanaticism or selling opiates.

Neither game was a commentary on society, it was just the setting for a story. Looks like FC5 will just so happen to be about religious fanaticism and exorbitant gun ownership.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Shooters go where the guns are. They have to to make a game out of it. Whenever they take the setting to some country that's overridden with violence, the developers are rarely offering a commentary on those locations. Even when they portray governments and groups there as the enemy and worthy of being taken down, it's more because a villain is needed than an honest judgment and commentary. Countries sometimes take it as the latter and get upset, though, which leads to developers often creating fictional countries, like in the previous Far Crys, instead.

They don't need to make up a fictional location this time around because the setting is in America, which is too diverse to care. I think that it's misplaced to assume, because it's set in a real location (Montana) for the first time, that it's trying to be edgy and more of a commentary on society than past games in the series. It's a game that, after 4 iterations in exotic locations, needed something fresh, and backroads militia/sects are about the only modern day subject in the entire 50 States that could realistically support a Far Cry game (with its need for lots of guns, open spaces, remoteness, varied terrain, etc.). I doubt that there's anything more to it than that.

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
This game looks unreal good. Some guys I watch on YouTube have played it for a bit already, and some of the dialogue has made me burst out laughing. I love how they’re lampooning Americana in this. I can’t wait to play it when it comes out.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Really looking forward to this. I rarely buy new games, usually wait until the price has come down after a year or two, but this one had me reach two milestones:

- first game I ever pre-ordered
- first game I ever bought in a "gold edition", or similar. It usually seems like a waste of money, as I don't care about totally special guns or stuff, and the DLCs that come with the included season pass are a gamble I'd usually not care for before I even get to play (at least at full price). This included FC3, though, which I loved when I originally played it on PC, and I don't think it's otherwise available on PS4 (at least I couldn't find it on the store), which is where I do just about all of my gaming these days, and I felt I could give this one another spin. The difference in price may be a bit much for an added game as old, but even if it's just an endorsement of their work with FC3, I felt it works out.

So yeah, can't wait.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I bought the gold edition for this game too since I got it for a really good price on GMG (I think it was less than $70?). Can't wait. Love the Far Cry series.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
SoT has taken over my life but I will definitely be playing FC5 at somepoint.... soon!

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
And an 84 on Opencritic. It's basically in the same scoring range as FC4 which I'm perfectly good with. Also, it seems that this is a high review score for a Ubisoft game these days.

Rainbow Six: Siege: 73
Ghost Recon: Wildlands: 70
For Honor: 78
Steep: 71
The Crew: 61
South Park: The Fractured, But Whole: 79
The Division: 80
Assassin's Creed: Unity: 70
Assassin's Creed: Syndicate: 76
Assassin's Creed: Origins: 81

Reactions: sa cyred

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Well in the first 10 minutes I have learned not to trust any dude in a man-bun. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad