Far Cry 5 confirmed. New location is...

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Isnt that kind of the point here? We ARE just playing it and having fun with it. Doesn't mean we cant talk about how wrong Gamespot is about their critique here. Like they expected to be blowing away red blooded americans just because they were white Midwesterners. Instead they focus on getting offended that someone said "Obama loving libtards" in a game where you are blowing people up with C4 and lighting forests on fire with maltov cocktails. Because if it was someone making fun of Trump you know they would be totally cool with it and not be offended or let it skew their view of the game at all.

Judging by the second part of your post I think we agree, but discussing the video I don't think is too far out of the question.

I have no problem with Midwestern white folk wanting to defend themselves from people upset that Midwestern white folk aren't tortured more in a video game simply because they are Midwestern white folk.

The Forbes review of the game took marks off because the cult you were fighting is men and women both black and white fighting together. They said race should have been a bigger issue in the game... They were actually upset that there weren't misogynistic and racism to get angry about. In other words, they need people to be like that to have a cause to be angry about. It's silly.

I agree. Im happy that the reviewers whos opinions I respect the most have called out those who are basing their low scores on politics (Forbes and Kotaku were named).

Reactions: Lancer

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
A video game being apolitical.

Sounds great to me.

That aside, I haven't been a big fan of the last couple Far Cry games. I tend to be drawn in by the exceptionally well written villain characters and over-the-top story lines, but then kicked right back out by the tedium of repetitive tasks (AKA open world syndrome).

This game, however, is tempting me. I like the changes they've made.

Reactions: Sniper99

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't know what it is about these games that always takes me a while to warm up to them. This one feels quite different, but it's not something I loved off the bat.

One thing I know I don't like about it though is the hallucinogenic angle of the Hebane River. It's the only region I've been so far and I've gotten tired of it. Just seems like an excuse to throw in zombie-like characters, which are a bit of a bore to fight against.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I don't know what it is about these games that always takes me a while to warm up to them. This one feels quite different, but it's not something I loved off the bat.

One thing I know I don't like about it though is the hallucinogenic angle of the Hebane River. It's the only region I've been so far and I've gotten tired of it. Just seems like an excuse to throw in zombie-like characters, which are a bit of a bore to fight against.
Keep at it. The game gets better.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don’t know how folks can crush through a giant game like this so fast.

I just got to the end of John Seed’s region and that final mission was annoying.

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
I am enjoying the game so far but have a couple of problems with it

- The amount of times I've been indoors and been spotted by a search party plane is ridiculous, has ruined a few outposts/missions that i was doing stealth. Really annoying.
- I can't recall FC4 at the moment, but I feel like the melee combat and takedowns are far less satisfying in this game.
- The story is kinda trite, i'm only about a third of the way through and already find myself skipping most of the cut scenes.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
I am enjoying the game so far but have a couple of problems with it

- The amount of times I've been indoors and been spotted by a search party plane is ridiculous, has ruined a few outposts/missions that i was doing stealth. Really annoying.
- I can't recall FC4 at the moment, but I feel like the melee combat and takedowns are far less satisfying in this game.
- The story is kinda trite, i'm only about a third of the way through and already find myself skipping most of the cut scenes.
When you are hunted and caught, it became painful.

I wish you had to do all the story missions in the region to go after the boss. I took faith out and then did the Dr. mission and yet she kept talking to me during it. Same with John Seed. I talked to the priest after I killed John Seed and he still talks like he's alive.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
ive absolutely loved this game so far. Ive got around 25-30 hrs in it and am probably half way done. Completed one region, halfway thru a second. Unfortunately i havent been able to play much over the past week due to final exams on the horizon, cant wait to get back at it once im done with this semester.

cant wait for far cry 7. I seem to only like the odd numbered ones.... FC1, FC3, and now FC5.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Is there any particular reason why co-op partners have to stay with in a certain distance of each other?
I won't get into particulars, but from a player's perspective, if it worth playing coop if you're not in the vicinity of each other?

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
f*** why are pronghorns impossible to find? Seriously I've found one in my ~5 hours of playing and sold this skin because I thought quick sell would sell my 2 cougar skins so i now have to find 2 other ones for the stupid doctors order mission ffs. I've been to three of their supposed hunting grounds and only come across black bears and cougars .

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I just finished the 3rd area. I don't really feel like finishing the game.
Take it from someone who has beat it, you really don't have to spend too much more time with it to finish it :)

I didn't like the ending though (and I youtubed all the other endings and they were all lame too... in my opinion). But I have gone back to the game multiple times just to mess around do some quests. The game is still a lot of fun after finishing it.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Bought this because I haven’t bought a AAA game in awhile and wanted something to do. Never played a Far Cry before. Enjoyed it, definitely had some gripes but it was fun. Ending was a good idea but not executed very well. The forced kidnappings were straight up awful. I thought they were OK for one area but not for all of them. Especially because they forced an ending to many quests. Liked the premise of the story but in many cases it was just boring (bad writing I guess).

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've been a fan of the first two games for a long time and have finally gotten around to Far Cry 3. What a massive disappointment! This might be the worst campaign that I've ever played. Just about all it consists of is hours of unskippable cinematics separated by "missions" to follow someone or go talk to the next person to trigger the next cinematic. Literally 3/4ths of the missions are "Go talk to X" and the 'X' is usually at a fast travel location, so you're not even encouraged to explore to get there. The missions that do allow you to do something are on rails and either interrupt you every dozen kills with a cinematic or force you to play through a Call of Duty-inspired arcade sequence, the worst of which consist of pressing whatever buttons or keys the game tells you to, as though that counts as gameplay. It's incredibly boring, takes little skill, has no choice involved and is the opposite of fun.

The protagonist is also an inexperienced, insecure, emotional weakling, yet becomes a one-man killing machine. You play a Far Cry game to be Sylvester Stallone or Arnold Schwarzenegger, essentially, but this game casts you as Jay Baruchel, instead. It might be more tolerable if he shed his sissiness as the campaign went along, but even deep into the campaign and after literally hundreds of kills, he's still as conflicted and weak sounding as when it started.

It's mind-boggling that Ubisoft could create a fun open world experience that's on par with previous entries in the franchise and then display such incompetence to ruin it all with such a joke of a campaign. You could skip the story and just roam around the island, and I bet that a lot of people did that, but I'm, personally, not really interested in doing that without purpose. I don't think that it's too much to ask for a decent campaign that complements and enhances the open worldness. Far Cry 2 had that. Speaking of which, I don't understand why people tend to trash Far Cry 2. It has its issues, but they're nothing compared to the problems with its sequel. Far Cry 2 is the far superior game, IMO.

People say that Far Cry 4 is more of the same, just with a different setting, which is depressing. I was looking forward to playing 4, Primal and 5 next, but, now, I'm not sure that I want to. It feels like Ubisoft ruined this franchise years ago and I'm only now realizing it.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Finished it, and IMO it's pretty clearly the weakest of the Far Cry games since FC3.

Not including Primal of course.

Loved the setting as far as wilderness, and playground for chaos, hated it as far as world-building and motivation, characters, etc.

The story is trash. Straight up. Just garbage. Please kidnap me, tie me to a chair, and make me listen to trite religious mumbo-jumbo again. It's only happened 6 f***ing times already. So compelling. Really. Combined with the fact that story wants desperately for you to feel how the proceedings are 'close to home' and contemporary without ever having a single f***ing thing to say about anything, this game is best played by skipping cutscenes altogether. Just a disaster as far as making the player care about anything happening.

Which would be fine, albeit disappointing, if the gameplay was good enough that you didn't need to care why anything is happening.

It's not.

Or at least not anymore. At this point, the Far Cry formula is ready to be taken out back and shot. The novelty is gone, it's become wrote and tired. What's worse, their seeming efforts to modernize come off only as a bid to accomodate the lowest common denominator. They took a dumb fun action game and were like 'you know what.... we might be asking a little TOO much out of the average idiot consumer....'. They stripped-down and streamlined a lot of systems, but that did more to hurt my experience than help it. It just turned everything into one uniform grind instead of in past games, where different activities actually felt important for different reasons, whether it was hunting to get materials to improve your character or whatever. Now, everything is just blurred together into one mundane challenge based experience system. Yawn.

The AI, particularly the friendly AI, is dumber than a sack of hammers. I've come to rescue you, now you're going to steal my ride while I'm cleaning up baddies. Great. First time it was funny. After that, less so.

Never mind all the trigger glitches, where you'd get to certain points in a mission and then something is supposed to happen (a plane flying in, or something) and it doesn't happen, so then you're basically stuck in limbo with a mission that's functionally broken. Restart, try again.

Just unimpressive, uninspired, and honestly boring all around. Happy for the people who worked on it that it sold well, but in an ideal world, Ubisoft would pull an Assassin's Creed and take some time off to completely rethink and overhaul the series, the same way they did with AC Origins (or frankly, the same way they did between Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3).

EDIT: The DLC packs announced to sound super weird in a good way though, so hopefully they will provide some of the personality and creativity in both presentation and gameplay that base FC5 is so sorely lacking.

Last edited:

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Mehhh. Wish I didn't buy into the hype. Waste of 60 bucks for sure. I enjoyed 3 and 4 way more than this one, easily. I actually liked the towers in those. I was really hoping the story would be good because it sounded really interesting but ended up being a poorly thought out and executed mess. I quickly grew to not care at all about any of the bosses. I didn't like how you got kidnapped so effortlessly and so often. Really ruined the immersion and experience. I quickly became OP with a couple upgrades even with enemies all over the place, who happened to disappear after the end. Collectibles weren't interesting and didn't feel satisfying to get them all. Music was really awesome, though, and the best part of the game. Liked the partners/animal friends even though they made the game too easy at times. Just felt like a really empty, unfulfilling experience for a AAA game and I'm probably done with Far Cry as a franchise from now on.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
finished it a few days ago. wasnt as good as 3 and 4 but still fairly fun. felt like there was less to do than its predecessors tho

also I liked Primal haha

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I think I'm about 2-3 hours from the finish line, but I just have zero desire to continue playing.

It's a fun game, but the list of stuff that drives me crazy about it is miles long.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah once you're into the third region you kinda just want the game to be over.

Really doesn't help that missions become incredibly pointless once you've liberated the area

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad