FAQ: Going to Anaheim and Honda Center

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I was originally looking at renting my own place, but more recently have shifted the search to include private rooms in places as well. I kind of lucked out in regards to roommates when I did my undergraduate but some friends ended up in horror situations, so ideally I'd minimize the chance of that while I focus on my Master's.

From what I've been able to gather so far the resources are rather limited. There were a couple options provided, including the dorm housing, but mostly limited capacity and a lot are already filled as well.

Roommates are definitely tricky. I've had some less than ideal situations but it's a far cry from some of the horror stories I've heard about.

Have you looked into subletting? Something just for a few months until you're established and are able to look for a better long term situation. That's what I did when I moved back to California after school. I think I found the place on a Facebook group or Craigslist. I facetimed with the people beforehand. I got really lucky with the people I subletted from because the roommate wasn't a psycho, the people that moved out remained on the lease so as a whole we made enough to satisfy the rental company and I didn't even have to show income verification or put a deposit down. I think they still did a credit check on me though which like you said you don't have a US credit score.

Edit: I lied, I just checked my email for the application. I didn't have to show pay stubs but I had a job lined up and showed the signed contract as proof of income. Subletting will still probably be your best bet to find a place and just try to explain your situation. If you have a letter of financial aid or scholarship that might count as proof of income. And finding a place closer to campus as I'm sure those places deal with international students more.

Last edited:

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
Roommates are definitely tricky. I've had some less than ideal situations but it's a far cry from some of the horror stories I've heard about.

Have you looked into subletting? Something just for a few months until you're established and are able to look for a better long term situation. That's what I did when I moved back to California after school. I think I found the place on a Facebook group or Craigslist. I facetimed with the people beforehand. I got really lucky with the people I subletted from because the roommate wasn't a psycho, the people that moved out remained on the lease so as a whole we made enough to satisfy the rental company and I didn't even have to show income verification or put a deposit down. I think they still did a credit check on me though which like you said you don't have a US credit score.

I did look a bit a short term options and would definitely be open to something like that. I haven't really seen a whole lot of options to this point for that. Although I've been primarily looking at a facebook group I was directed towards for the school (+ also previously on some apartment sites but most of those require proven income to be accepted so I started looking elsewhere).

The majority I've seen seem to be looking for 1 year leases, a handful at of shorter ones (some immediate month to month).

I expect to be there for 18 months (or longer), so 6 months would likely be ideal if I'm being honest since I could then sign a 1 year lease to finish up the program after that wherever I thought would be best after getting to know the area (and where my internships will be).

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I did look a bit a short term options and would definitely be open to something like that. I haven't really seen a whole lot of options to this point for that. Although I've been primarily looking at a facebook group I was directed towards for the school (+ also previously on some apartment sites but most of those require proven income to be accepted so I started looking elsewhere).

The majority I've seen seem to be looking for 1 year leases, a handful at of shorter ones (some immediate month to month).

I expect to be there for 18 months (or longer), so 6 months would likely be ideal if I'm being honest since I could then sign a 1 year lease to finish up the program after that wherever I thought would be best after getting to know the area (and where my internships will be).
Are you looking to be in Long Beach or Orange County or just anywhere? I'm assuming you'll have a car.

OC marketplace is 1 facebook group I'll see subleasing posts. I know there's a Cal State Long Beach housing, sublets and roommates group also on facebook (you don't have to be a student to join). You can try Craigslist but that place gets scammier by the day.

If you find something and it's not a scam feel free to come back and ask about the location so we can tell you if you should pass on it.

And worst case scenario you move to California and live at an airbnb or hotel for a bit. It'll all work out.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
Are you looking to be in Long Beach or Orange County or just anywhere? I'm assuming you'll have a car.

OC marketplace is 1 facebook group I'll see subleasing posts. I know there's a Cal State Long Beach housing, sublets and roommates group also on facebook (you don't have to be a student to join). You can try Craigslist but that place gets scammier by the day.

If you find something and it's not a scam feel free to come back and ask about the location so we can tell you if you should pass on it.

And worst case scenario you move to California and live at an airbnb or hotel for a bit. It'll all work out.

I haven't really limited my search much. I guess mostly in Long Beach in the area around CSULB or east into Orange County. Not overly picky though.

I'm not going to have my car at the start, I might get something again after I get there if I find the commute miserable otherwise. My mandatory time on campus is going to be rather limited though and I suspect a delay in getting clearance to begin my internship full time with needing to get it approved by the school + government. So it didn't really make a whole lot of sense to up my expenses with car insurance / maintenance / etc.

Sounds good. Are there any areas you'd recommend to avoid searching in at all?

Thanks for the assistance so far!

Reactions: duckaroosky

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I haven't really limited my search much. I guess mostly in Long Beach in the area around CSULB or east into Orange County. Not overly picky though.

I'm not going to have my car at the start, I might get something again after I get there if I find the commute miserable otherwise. My mandatory time on campus is going to be rather limited though and I suspect a delay in getting clearance to begin my internship full time with needing to get it approved by the school + government. So it didn't really make a whole lot of sense to up my expenses with car insurance / maintenance / etc.

Sounds good. Are there any areas you'd recommend to avoid searching in at all?

Thanks for the assistance so far!
I haven't lived in Long Beach for a while despite what my profile says so maybe others can chime in because some things may have changed. That being said Southern California is weird in general. One block you will swear movie stars live there and then the next block over you're locking your car doors because it looks like a post-apocalyptic hell hole and there may or may not be a gradient or warnings before you get to the bad neighborhoods.

Personally, I never wanted to live anywhere west of Cherry Ave (unless you're in the Bixby Knolls area where the rich people live and you likely can't afford anyways). Avoid downtown (yes, there are some nice places but those are way too expensive to make it worth it imo). There a pockets around Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) I would also avoid; like near PCH and Obispo but if you're on the Signal Hill side it is not bad; but this was starting to get gentrified when I was there like 10 years ago. Around CSULB is fairly safe but obviously a lot of college kids so expect parties. The city of Lakewood is okay but again nothing west of Cherry Ave. Seal Beach and Los Alamitos are good places but a lot more homes than apartments so not sure what would be available. I'm not too familiar with Cypress or Westminster.

Reactions: cody275

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Was told at orientation today that OCVibe construction is starting next month
I was told in 2007 that Platinum triangle development on southwest corner of State College and Katella would start construction "within 6 months" ... thank Cthulu i didn't pay for an overpriced condo in stadium lofts. Yikerino

• Haha
Reactions: MMC

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

Relevant parking information (with link provided!) for those of you who are planning on attending a home game(s) this year

Reactions: Ducks DVM

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Relevant parking information (with link provided!) for those of you who are planning on attending a home game(s) this year

Season ticket holders are getting the lot employees have been using for the majority of the events post covid and employees are back having to bus to and from Angel Stadium

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Season ticket holders are getting the lot employees have been using for the majority of the events post covid and employees are back having to bus to and from Angel Stadium
Sorry to hear that. I remember that added like 15-20 minutes I had to factor into my commute back when I worked there. Kind of a drag since they also wouldn't let us clock in until we checked in with wardrobe and got changed.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Sorry to hear that. I remember that added like 15-20 minutes I had to factor into my commute back when I worked there. Kind of a drag since they also wouldn't let us clock in until we checked in with wardrobe and got changed.
I usually leave dumb early because I have to commute as well and get there well in advance anyways, it’s the having to wait for the bus or walk back after the shift that I don’t like. But I’ve been wanting something like OCVibe forever so I’m just excited that that’s finally starting up

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
hey guys, I'm taking my family to Disney land and am going to go to the game on November 12th against the Sharks. I'd like to spring and get tickets along the glass but haven't seen any available since tickets came available. Any tips or am I just SOL?

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
hey guys, I'm taking my family to Disney land and am going to go to the game on November 12th against the Sharks. I'd like to spring and get tickets along the glass but haven't seen any available since tickets came available. Any tips or am I just SOL?
Try 714tickets. They don’t charge any fees and resale prices are reasonable.

NJTIXX

Mar 3, 2011
Going to be taking the train up from San Juan Capistrano for a game in the next week or so. As with most hockey games that start at 7 it should be over by 930 (assuming there is no OT/SO). The train back to SJC isn't until 10:50pm.

Is there anywhere to grab a postgame beer? Solita's which looks like a perfect spot is only open until 10:00pm (according to their website). On gamedays do they stay open later?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Going to be taking the train up from San Juan Capistrano for a game in the next week or so. As with most hockey games that start at 7 it should be over by 930 (assuming there is no OT/SO). The train back to SJC isn't until 10:50pm.

Is there anywhere to grab a postgame beer? Solita's which looks like a perfect spot is only open until 10:00pm (according to their website). On gamedays do they stay open later?
danny k's

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
@MMC I am in town in a few weeks, and I know this is a Honda Center question. I need to purchase tickets for Brewery X for one of the games, since on-line ordering is not available, they told me had to go there the day of the game. Said box office during the week is open at 10am.

Question is, Will they allow me to park there, and walk to the box office? or do I have to park across the street or somewhere else.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
@MMC I am in town in a few weeks, and I know this is a Honda Center question. I need to purchase tickets for Brewery X for one of the games, since on-line ordering is not available, they told me had to go there the day of the game. Said box office during the week is open at 10am.

Question is, Will they allow me to park there, and walk to the box office? or do I have to park across the street or somewhere else.
As long as you go early in the day you can park at the arena by the box office/team store

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As long as you go early in the day you can park at the arena by the box office/team store

Yeah I was going to go there in the morning before my coffee run. Hell no going to Starbucks in my hotel, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: MMC

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Can someone explain Brewery X? On 714 they got two passes, one for Brewery X that’s $21 and one that’s Brewery X Biergarten for $34? What’s the difference? Also, how’s the viewing from it? Do you actually see the ice from where you are eating? Is there areas where you can stay even if not eating?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Can someone explain Brewery X? On 714 they got two passes, one for Brewery X that’s $21 and one that’s Brewery X Biergarten for $34? What’s the difference? Also, how’s the viewing from it? Do you actually see the ice from where you are eating? Is there areas where you can stay even if not eating?
Should be the same thing, are you looking at the same game? Because I know they charge differently depending on the opponent. You cannot see the ice from it

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

It’s a place to go about an hour and change before puck drop. Good food, good beer, and they even have a sushi bar.

I also love the fire pits outside where I chill , drink a beer, and think about life for an hour before the game starts, lol.

It’s just a nice place to hang before the game and between periods but like MMC said, you can’t see the game from there, expect for on TV.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00