Fantasy GM Thread | The One Where We Inch Closer to the TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Why targeting magic beans(draft picks) is good even if they’re overrated assets

1) They increase in value at the draft, that’s also the week when teams are looking to shed cap. If you’re in the “re-tool camp” then that’s how and when you’ll have your best chance at trading for a John Marino.

2) You’re shedding cap space. So if you’re in the “rebuild this team camp” then opening up as much cap space as possible opens up opportunities to take on cap dumps and get more magic beans or prospects to do so. You can also position yourself to sign and flip UFA’s like Klingberg/Domi last year.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The thing I go back and forth on with the idea of signing Kuz is just whether adding more $6MM wingers to the mix helps us long term or not. Like if they had non-tendered Boeser and just believed in Kuz as his replacement, that's one thing, it's that we also have multiple high priced wingers on outsized deals that no one wants to give us assets for that gives me pause.

This is a management problem more than a personnel problem though.

Like maybe, MAYBE you can get Arizona or Chicago (who have Keller and Kane at RW) to take Boeser for free before July 1 which then lets them keep Kuzmenko (who plays on the more valuable left side for the Canucks, especially with Pearson gone).

But you might even be better off signing Kuzmenko now and paying to dump Boeser later in order to make sure you don't lose the better player who should come in at the better (value) contract.

Reactions: rypper

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Boeser + Schenn for Dumba, Greenway + Bankier

Saves Minny $$ and loads them up for a run.

Greenway becomes a cap saving measure to Boeser.

Dumba gives the Nucks a RHD sorely needed. See what he does before the TDL. Possibly flip for more assets.

Bankier restocks the pool with a sorely needed C.
Minnesota doesn't want boeser Canucks fans! Zero interest. Dumba easily gets a 1st. So Minnesota says no.

• Haha
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If the offers for Kuz are only a 2nd AND you can sign him to a bridge deal in $6-6.5M range AND you can dump Boeser to clear up cap space.

Then yes, sign him up.

But if he wants to test FA, you have to deal him for whatever you can get.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The thing I go back and forth on with the idea of signing Kuz is just whether adding more $6MM wingers to the mix helps us long term or not. Like if they had non-tendered Boeser and just believed in Kuz as his replacement, that's one thing, it's that we also have multiple high priced wingers on outsized deals that no one wants to give us assets for that gives me pause.

The fact is outside of entertainment value, I doubt it really matters from a personnel perspective. The team isn’t competing over a 2 year window and Kuzmenko would be signing the bridge banking on a higher cap, and therefore higher salary, on his next deal.

I guess if it helps you sign Pettersson, sure, but from a roster building perspective, he’s not a particularly long-term solution. And he’s no longer cost-controlled.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The fact is outside of entertainment value, I doubt it really matters from a personnel perspective. The team isn’t competing over a 2 year window and Kuzmenko would be signing the bridge banking on a higher cap, and therefore higher salary, on his next deal.

I guess if it helps you sign Pettersson, sure, but from a roster building perspective, he’s not a particularly long-term solution. And he’s no longer cost-controlled.

Unless they think there is more upside there with increased PP minutes, a full training camp after an offseason that doesn't entail moving to a new continent and speaking a new language, etc.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Unless they think there is more upside there with increased PP minutes, a full training camp after an offseason that doesn't entail moving to a new continent and speaking a new language, etc.

Him outperforming a $6M+ AAV is certainly in the range of outcomes. Unfortunate it would come during what is looking like a lost 2-year period for the franchise.

Reactions: tyhee

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
That’s the issue. I could buy the re-tool argument if the Boeser and Miller contracts didn’t exist.

If you have Horvat and Kuzmenko signed for similar money instead then there’s at least a realistic path to the re-tool while staying competitive plan since Miller as a rental would still bring back a solid return.

Instead they’ve dug this hole deeper and just need to accept that they blew their opportunity at a quick turnaround.

Reactions: timw33

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Why targeting magic beans(draft picks) is good even if they’re overrated assets

1) They increase in value at the draft, that’s also the week when teams are looking to shed cap. If you’re in the “re-tool camp” then that’s how and when you’ll have your best chance at trading for a John Marino.

2) You’re shedding cap space. So if you’re in the “rebuild this team camp” then opening up as much cap space as possible opens up opportunities to take on cap dumps and get more magic beans or prospects to do so. You can also position yourself to sign and flip UFA’s like Klingberg/Domi last year.
This club's decade-long refusal to add draft picks is idiotic. Draft picks are the "currency" of the NHL. And the NHL has a built-in way to get free money! At the TDL, teams are willing to pay more for players. At the draft, teams are willing to sacrifice more assets to get money!

You can easily maximize value by selling players at the TDL, and buying players at the draft. You don't have to use the picks if you don't want to! You can buy good players, like John Marino.

Apparently JR still hasn't understood this concept, despite working in the NHL for a millennium.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If the offers for Kuz are only a 2nd AND you can sign him to a bridge deal in $6-6.5M range AND you can dump Boeser to clear up cap space.

Then yes, sign him up.

But if he wants to test FA, you have to deal him for whatever you can get.
No. You just trade him for the most you can get. Re-signing Kuz would be a clear critical failure by this regime. A fundamental misunderstanding about how to build a long-term, sustainable, winning NHL team.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
I think it’s a combination of two groups.

One who are emotionally attached to the player.

The other are the analytical guys who look at age curves, career norms, but refuse to accept that Boeser has physically declined at a younger age.
This is it.

Most people just can't not be emotional when dealing with this kind of stuff. Always emotion - never cold, hard facts.

Boeser has been garbage for years. Too many injuries which ruined his skillset. His skating is bad, his motor is bad, and his shot was his bread and butter but multiple surgeries and injuries have stopped that for him. He's just not good anymore.

Reactions: Nucker101

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Here are two Canucks forwards and their scoring rates at 5v5:

Player A
2.78 P/60
16% individual shooting

Player B
2.43 P/60
8.77% individual shooting

One guy is apparently sludge. One is apparently a must re-sign core player. Who are they?

Reactions: geebaan

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Here are two Canucks forwards and their scoring rates at 5v5:

Player A
2.78 P/60
16% individual shooting

Player B
2.43 P/60
8.77% individual shooting

One guy is apparently sludge. One is apparently a must re-sign core player. Who are they?
Trick question. All of our players are sludge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad