Fantasy GM Thread | Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I think the Canucks are gonna make the trades, with or without Covid currently running a muck, the situation seems dire but within the next week the worst of it will be over.

Weird times regardless

Reactions: David71

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Who the hell are going to trade with Van with a COVID outbreak?

There was already a good chance no other team was going to take any of this team’s garbage.

Zero percent now.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'd be surprised if anyone on the covid list gets traded, but unaffected players should be available aka pearson.
There's daily testing and we're shut down, nows the time to let them quarantine for new teams.

This season is over for the canucks, even if we we're close to a playoff spot with possibly 10+ players affected and some actually ill, the likelihood we're another step behind in games is pretty much 100%.

Reactions: Cogburn

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'm not on team tank, but with the team being hamstrung by covid (and its after effects)..We're probably going to be seeing more than quite a few Comets players in the lineup, along with the regulars returning from the illness. ...leading to a top 5 pick..Its not out of the question now.

That is..if the Canucks do indeed play again this season.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So our players that aren't on covid protocol:

Pearson (IR), Miller, Boeser, Virtanen, Schmidt, Benn and Eriksson

Most of our taxi squad is intact, and our LTIR players (Pettersson, Ferland, Beagle and Bailey) hopefully remain unaffected.

Even if we bring the remaining taxi squad in, we're 4 forwards, a D and a goalie away from a team we can ice, and -2,750,000 in cap space.

Season's delayed for us, so I say sell off what ever assets we can from the healthy group, especially the bolded, and say it was always the plan. If someone can/is able to take Sutter or Hamonic too, all the better.

I see a second, third and fourth round pick returning, and another third and/or fourth from Sutter and Hamonic.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So our players that aren't on covid protocol:

Pearson (IR), Miller, Boeser, Virtanen, Schmidt, Benn and Eriksson

Most of our taxi squad is intact, and our LTIR players (Pettersson, Ferland, Beagle and Bailey) hopefully remain unaffected.

Even if we bring the remaining taxi squad in, we're 4 forwards, a D and a goalie away from a team we can ice, and -2,750,000 in cap space.

Season's delayed for us, so I say sell off what ever assets we can from the healthy group, especially the bolded, and say it was always the plan. If someone can/is able to take Sutter or Hamonic too, all the better.

I see a second, third and fourth round pick returning, and another third and/or fourth from Sutter and Hamonic.
I dont see Hamonic going anywhere...he'll be re-signed imo

Reactions: m9

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I dont see Hamonic going anywhere...he'll be re-signed imo
We don't have space to keep Hamonic unless he wants 1M again. I think there's a good chance we lose Edler this offseason too.

We have approx 20M to re-sign or replace Pettersson, Hughes, Edler, Pearson, Sutter, Benn, Hamonic, and might as well toss in Hawryluk/Vesey/Boyd now too

The team reportedly is budgeting 15M for Pettersson and Hughes. I think theres no way they take under 8M each, and we can't afford to sign them to the long term deals we should be. That would leave 4M for everyone else. Edler would have to take a 3M deal or something which I doubt, and even then we basically just have to stuff the lineup with league min players

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Calgary has worse odds than Vancouver to make the playoffs (1% to our 6%), so I can't see it.

Also, last year's falling out/upgrade to Tanev. But stranger things have happened.

Winnipeg would be my bet given team needs and still being in Western Canada. I don't know that Edmonton needs Hamonic, but who knows what they're thinking up there.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I know I said that the most I would go on Pearson is 2.5x2, but if they have legit trade offers then there's no way they can entertain signing him. They have to get a trade done.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Pearson is the most obvious sell (somehow kinda) high candidate ever and its depressing we're going to blow it and sign him instead. Just ridiculous gross team cap and asset management.

We're not going to get any picks this deadline either are we, and another bottom 5 finish.
Jesus Christ i can't wait for Benning to get fired into space.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Much rather the Canucks purse Schwartz who's also having a down year and can likely be had at good term/price in this Covid cap world.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'd rather the Canucks sign Emil Pettersson than re-sign Pearson to a contract they'll regret.

I definitely want the Canucks to go after Emil. Keep Petey happy, and it’s also a low risk move - no brainer.

I think Benning has painted himself into a corner with Pearson. The feedback from the young players in the press this year is that they missed the veteran presences of Markstrom and Tanev, and those guys were so key to their development. Pearson is seen as a veteran leader in the room, and I don’t think Benning wants to repeat that issue.

But much as I like Pearson, he’s not the vital cog to the roster either of those other guys were.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Yeah we should dump 20 goal scorer, Stanley Cup champion Tanner Pearson for a SHL superstar.

These are the fans of Vancouver! That's what happens when you have drama queens for journalists in this city. Nobody has ever picked up a hockey stick from the journalists to the tweeters.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Yeah we should dump 20 goal scorer, Stanley Cup champion Tanner Pearson for a SHL superstar.

These are the fans of Vancouver! That's what happens when you have drama queens for journalists in this city. Nobody has ever picked up a hockey stick from the journalists to the tweeters.
Why cup champ so important? And if it is how has Beagle been with his expensive 12/13 forward contract? And six goals in 33 games is a big drop and stretch to call him a 20 goal guy. Is time to move on before we are stuck with Beagle 2.0

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

What’s wrong with trading him now for draft capital, and then resigning him in the summer? If another team will pay him term and over two million per season then he goes to them. If not then we sign him back at that number. Seems like that is a win, no?

Bob Cajun

Mar 3, 2021
What’s wrong with trading him now for draft capital, and then resigning him in the summer? If another team will pay him term and over two million per season then he goes to them. If not then we sign him back at that number. Seems like that is a win, no?

Exactly this. This is the type of asset management the Canucks need to be employing right now. Take the draft capital now, and if you really think Pearson is the type of player that will move the needle for your team then circle back with his camp in the offseason. You can almost guarantee that whatever the Canucks are willing to offer Pearson now will likely be the best offer he gets in the offseason. So grab the draft capital, let him have a run at a cup, and then make your offer (please no) in the offseason

Reactions: vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad