Fantasy GM Thread | Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureQC

Feb 26, 2021
Maybe if Edler was convinced to waive in order to go to Edmonton, and the Canucks took back substantial salary to make all that work (James Neal+). A first and Bouchard is going to be very hard to wrestle away from Holland.
Haha sigh. Makes sense. Guess I was daydreaming a bit. Much appreciated for all the replies.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Gostisbehere wouldn’t be a bad pick up, he’s another LHD who plays the right side. No idea how we would make that work though, we’d have to basically LTIR someone until the end of the season. Would leave us with one less need going into next season if he resumed form.

trade benn? for a pick. problem solved. olli juoveli still sits... for the remainder of the season unless edler waives then theres a vacant spot for him.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
trade benn? for a pick. problem solved. olli juoveli still sits... for the remainder of the season unless edler waives then theres a vacant spot for him.

With the quality of guys on waivers this year, I don’t think there’s going to be much of a market for trades. I guess maybe with salary retained.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
That so many fans and posters are suggesting all these various waiver discards indicate how little depth, value per dollar or how much the bottom 9 need improvement.
It shows an awareness that this team needs a load of players and upgrades at that.

Reactions: David71

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Like the Demko deal. Now the trick is to get Hughes and Pettersson on three year bridge deals for less than $15M total. That will get them through next year while still riding Hoglander's and Podkolzin's elcs.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think Canucks should sign Tryamkin and Larsson for next season. That will form a good defence corps with lots of different elements.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Like the Demko deal. Now the trick is to get Hughes and Pettersson on three year bridge deals for less than $15M total. That will get them through next year while still riding Hoglander's and Podkolzin's elcs.

I think it was the latest Vancast where it was mentioned that Detroit will have like 40m in cap space next off season.

Prime position to offer sheet Pettersson. Hopefully we get him signed sooner rather then later.

Reactions: iceburg

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think it was the latest Vancast where it was mentioned that Detroit will have like 40m in cap space next off season.

Prime position to offer sheet Pettersson. Hopefully we get him signed sooner rather then later.

I think that wasn't next off-season, that was pro-rated cap space for the upcoming deadline so that they can easily flip guys.

(But they probably have a ton of cap space this off-season as well)

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Yotes open to moving Garland. Man I wish we had a better GM/cap management. I think he’d be a great player to have on a 2nd line. Small dude, but plays bigger than his size and doesn’t get physically intimidated.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yotes open to moving Garland. Man I wish we had a better GM/cap management. I think he’d be a great player to have on a 2nd line. Small dude, but plays bigger than his size and doesn’t get physically intimidated.

Garland would be such a phenomenal add to our Top 6.

Unfortunately his contract is league minimum so he can fit onto every single team in the league so there will be lots of bidders for him.

Reactions: Jannik Hansen

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Garland would be such a phenomenal add to our Top 6.

Unfortunately his contract is league minimum so he can fit onto every single team in the league so there will be lots of bidders for him.

He’s due for a significant raise as a RFA, that’s what rules out the teams in cap hell next season. Also the reason why Arizona is open to moving him.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I think Canucks should sign Tryamkin and Larsson for next season. That will form a good defence corps with lots of different elements.

It would be a group with some interesting elements yes, but I'm a little skeptical of how those elements would fit together. What would your pairings be hypothetically?

Schmidt-Tryamkin
Hughes-Larsson
Juolevi/Rathbone-Myers

We would have to have a damn good coaching staff in place to get the most out of that squad IMO.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Wonder if the leafs would do Miller for Nylander. Miller being the physical element and is more versatile. Nylander is younger and has an extra year on his deal.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Wonder if the leafs would do Miller for Nylander. Miller being the physical element and is more versatile. Nylander is younger and has an extra year on his deal.
You are a Leafs fan? Who in their right mind would do that, William can't even play C and Miller is already a leader/buddy for Hughes/Boeser/Pettersson.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

I don't see the benefit for Toronto to do this.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I don't see the benefit for Toronto to do this.

I could see it

Miller makes less
Is more versatile
Elite at faceoffs
more physical
and a better producer over these past 2 years by a decent margin

Miller is the better player but I think that extra year lets the Canucks likely extend their window instead of looking to replace miller or overpaying Miller in 2 years.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I could see it

Miller makes less
Is more versatile
Elite at faceoffs
more physical
and a better producer over these past 2 years by a decent margin

Miller is the better player but I think that extra year lets the Canucks likely extend their window instead of looking to replace miller or overpaying Miller in 2 years.

It might make sense for both teams to trade their players before the players reach the final seasons of their respective contracts, but I don't think the other team's player is the desirable return.

Canucks would have trouble affording the extra $1.7 million cap hit in 2021-22 and would lose a good faceoff man and one of the bigger players on a soft team. Imo the Canucks don't have an open window and likely won't during Miller's current contract, which is why I really disliked the Miller trade in the first place.

The Leafs would be taking the older player and the one who would be eligible to be an UFA sooner and at an age that giving him a long-term contract would be risky. For a team, giving a long-term deal is less of a risk when the player is 28 than when he is 30.
It is still risky but the two extra years between 28 and 30 make a difference.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I'd rather trade Miller for a blue chip prospect and pick than Nylander.
Why do people want to bridge either of them, particularly Pettersson?

Bridges provide a lower cap hit in the immediate future in exchange for higher cap hit later.

We are going to suck for at least another year and be contenders, if ever, in at least 3 years.

Why push for cap savings in a non-competitive window?

If cap issues are the holdup, you pay to dump beagle/roussel. You don't let the cost of dumping a 3M expiring turd force you to sign elite talent to bridges when long term contracts are options.

Pre-empting the Hughes defensive issues argument, a long term contract for Hughes right now should be 7-7.5M, which is a pretty low bar to beat for someone with his offensive talent. He just has to be slightly less than average defensively to be worth that money.

I can't see any justification for wanting to bridge Pettersson.

Reactions: rypper

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
with canuck players with covids. i don't think there will be any trades... involved.

Presumably Tanner Pearson is away from the team with his injury and is supposed to be only a couple weeks away from returning, so there shouldn't really be a reason not to move him.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I wouldnt do that deal..Miller brings way more to the Canucks than Nylander ever could..There's a 3 year age difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad