Fantasy GM Thread | Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Boeser is a very one-dimensional scorer who hasn't really been scoring at a great clip, when he isn't scoring he isn't adding much else to the lineup...selling low isn't ideal but signing him to a large deal when he's playing at this level isn't ideal either.

lose lose situation either way.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's weird that you think Boeser is worth this, but JT Miller aka turnover machine/braindead play every 3rd shift is worth the Gretzky package.

JT Miller is an 80-point #1 C who will have a $2.5 million cap hit if we retain.

Brock Boeser is a 50-point soft winger who will have a $7.5 million cap hit next year.

It's weird that people don't understand the difference here.

One guy is an $8 million+ player whose cap hit would be 30% of his value.

The other guy is a $5 million player whose cap hit would be 150% of his value.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Technically there is no way Boeser will be a "negative asset" when the season ends as the team will have the right to simply not qualify him if they choose.

Yes, technically this is correct. His value would just be ... zero.

Reactions: m9

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I dont think LA makes any sense for a Boeser trade we dont want to be making our Pacific division opponents better.

Teams that I think could be interested in Boeser would be
Philly
Dallas
Nashville
NYR (they are in on everyone)
Ottawa
Maybe Detroit

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
JT Miller is an 80-point #1 C who will have a $2.5 million cap hit if we retain.

Brock Boeser is a 50-point soft winger who will have a $7.5 million cap hit next year.

A more accurate evaluation of the two would be that Boeser is a 60-70 point winger while miller is a 75-80 point winger/center. If you're going to call Boeser soft, you should also mention that Miller is one of the most mistake prone forwards in the NHL.

I don't think it's a given that Boeser will have a 7.5 million cap hit next year. I could see him taking less than his QO to stay here where he is close with the core players, especially if he continues to struggle.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Outside of this season, Boeser has never paced for 50 points. He's a career 65 point pace. Miller has more value but this is a huge hyperbole.

Reactions: elitepete

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A more accurate evaluation of the two would be that Boeser is a 60-70 point winger while miller is a 75-80 point winger/center. If you're going to call Boeser soft, you should also mention that Miller is one of the most mistake prone forwards in the NHL.

I don't think it's a given that Boeser will have a 7.5 million cap hit next year. I could see him taking less than his QO to stay here where he is close with the core players, especially if he continues to struggle.

Outside of this season, Boeser has never paced for 50 points. He's a career 65 point pace. Miller has more value but this is a huge hyperbole.

Change it to 55 or 60 points or whatever you want and nothing changes in terms of the central point.

For the record, his career high is 56 points. And being injury-prone does matter.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Change it to 55 or 60 points or whatever you want and nothing changes in terms of the central point.

For the record, his career high is 56 points. And being injury-prone does matter.
Boeser was healthy the entire year last year. Would have likely hit 30 goals and 70 points if it was an 82 game season as opposed to 56 games.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Boeser was healthy the entire year last year. Would have likely hit 30 goals and 70 points if it was an 82 game season as opposed to 56 games.
Boeser has yet to hit 30 goals in his career. yet people here still value him as a 30+ goal scorer. Im sure the teams around the league dont value him as a 30 goal 70 point winger because he has never done it in his career.....

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

It doesn't make any sense for Boeser to do that though. He isn't going to sign any short term deals that are less than his qualifying offer. If he thinks he can rebound he isn't going to be signing UFA years when his value is at its lowest. If he just accepts his qualifying offer if he rebounds he will have all the leverage in the world negotiating his next contract.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
It doesn't make any sense for Boeser to do that though. He isn't going to sign any short term deals that are less than his qualifying offer. If he thinks he can rebound he isn't going to be signing UFA years when his value is at its lowest. If he just accepts his qualifying offer if he rebounds he will have all the leverage in the world negotiating his next contract.
He could for the purposes of long term security.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Boeser has yet to hit 30 goals in his career. yet people here still value him as a 30+ goal scorer. Im sure the teams around the league dont value him as a 30 goal 70 point winger because he has never done it in his career.....
He's pretty much paced that for his career.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Wonder of Brock would take a team friendly deal at like 5.5 mill for 3 years. Otherwise he is definitely going to be traded.

Even then I think he should be shopped during the summer

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Wonder of Brock would take a team friendly deal at like 5.5 mill for 3 years. Otherwise he is definitely going to be traded.

Even then I think he should be shopped during the summer

That makes absolutely no sense for Brock. He can make 15 by just accepting his qualifying offers the next two years.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Honestly Canucks should trade both Boeser and Miller. The reality is the Canucks best forwards have been mediocre 5v5 for 2 seasons. Hoglander is the teams leading 5v5 point getter over that span. People keep praising Miller for how amazing he's been this season when at 5v5 he has a whooping single point more than Tanner freaking Pearson. For reference, Miller P/60 would rank 9th on the Avs and his actual 5v5 production would rank 7th.

Outside of Garland, I'm starting to think this team's top players are overrated/reliant on PP/big minutes for production. Canucks need to start targeting guys that excel in limited minutes 5v5 and give them expanded roles with Garland being the most obvious internal option.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

blah.

I am discouraged by this. Swapping Halak for anyone is not going to move the needle on winning games this year in any meaningful way. A premium backup is not a luxury that this team needs. Trading Halak should be a lay up.

Last edited:

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
I’m willing to give new Jim the benefit of the doubt here. Teams looking to trade for Halak are likely well aware of the poison pill cap hit, and Friedman indicated he wasn’t willing to waive. (I know Friedman isn’t as reliable as he use to be). The bonus likely makes him a negative asset.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
On Halak: Rutherford is also being asked at a time where the team still is selling the belief that playoffs are a possibility. Also, they have no goalies right now and that includes Halak so trading a goalie probably isn't high on his to-do list.

I think this will get re-visited in a month and it is probably a different answer.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Am i missing something on Halak? Dont we just pay him his bonuses this year unless we need to carry them over due to not having cap space?

I would actually re sign him for next year if he stays healthy at 1.5 he's been excellent

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Am i missing something on Halak? Dont we just pay him his bonuses this year unless we need to carry them over due to not having cap space?

I would actually re sign him for next year if he stays healthy at 1.5 he's been excellent

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad