Fantasy GM Thread | Heatwave Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Far more talented offensively, far less useful defensively.

Wouldn't make sense to acquire for us, unless you really want the highest event pairing in modern NHL history with Hughes - Klingberg lol. Those guys playing 25 minutes a night means games are 5-5
I would have guessed that they would unload Myers and replace with Klingberg

Still makes no sense to me replacing Myers 2 year deal with an even longer retirement term for a guy that will be 30 in a few weeks..

I’d rather they kept Myers for now,and traded for a good defensive D man whose age is more instep with the core group

Reactions: geebaan and MarkMM

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
So trading is hard. Again.

And they are going to keep Miller until next years TDL?

Jesus f***.

Knowing Canuck luck, Miller gets injured and they can’t get f*** all for him.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I do find it quite remarkable that Jim Rutherford and Alvin have had so many interviews in the last two months, and not one person has asked him directly about if they’re in a playoff position, are they still OK or trading him at the deadline

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I do find it quite remarkable that Jim Rutherford and Alvin have had so many interviews in the last two months, and not one person has asked him directly about if they’re in a playoff position, are they still OK or trading him at the deadline

Not one you say!

"The other concern fans have raised is what happens if the Canucks are in a playoff position at the trade deadline? Would management be comfortable subtracting a top player from a playoff-bound roster? The answer to that should be yes as it’d be a disaster to risk losing Miller for nothing.

I posed that exact hypothetical scenario to Allvin. Vancouver’s GM wouldn’t commit to a firm answer but made it clear that the club’s strong preference would be to resolve the situation one way or another by that point.

“Everything we do is calculated and I think it’s more about what the return would be and how our future would be and how it would impact us right now,” said Allvin. “I guess that’s more of a hypothetical question — if we haven’t solved it leading up to the trading deadline with a contract extension, I would think that that’s definitely something we need to sit down as an organization and have a conversation about what direction we’re going.

“I definitely think we’ll address this as it comes but I think our hope is that we’ll hopefully solve the issue from now to the trading deadline.”"

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Not one you say!

"The other concern fans have raised is what happens if the Canucks are in a playoff position at the trade deadline? Would management be comfortable subtracting a top player from a playoff-bound roster? The answer to that should be yes as it’d be a disaster to risk losing Miller for nothing.

I posed that exact hypothetical scenario to Allvin. Vancouver’s GM wouldn’t commit to a firm answer but made it clear that the club’s strong preference would be to resolve the situation one way or another by that point.

“Everything we do is calculated and I think it’s more about what the return would be and how our future would be and how it would impact us right now,” said Allvin. “I guess that’s more of a hypothetical question — if we haven’t solved it leading up to the trading deadline with a contract extension, I would think that that’s definitely something we need to sit down as an organization and have a conversation about what direction we’re going.

“I definitely think we’ll address this as it comes but I think our hope is that we’ll hopefully solve the issue from now to the trading deadline.”"
Transalation, if they are in a playoff spot and are offered a draft pick Miller stays. If they are offered the package they have been seeking he goes

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Why Would you only use the playoffs to prove a point like that? Why not the last 20 or so games. Then everyone has similar game time and a more varied amount of teams.

Probably cause that's like 300+ games to watch with double the sample size of players, and in garbage time (ie. are players really trying as hard in a end of season COL-ARI game?)

Definitely not a perfect sample or analysis, but it's an interesting snapshot. At quick glance, it about checks out with the reputation of the big names - Slavin at the top, Weegar and McAvoy right below; guys like Josi closer to the bottom (especially considering how Nashville got vented by Colorado) along with Nurse, Reilly, Barrie, Gudbranson, Chiarot, etc.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Not one you say!

What a long winded way of not actually giving an answer.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

The actual answer is whether FA has the balls to sign off on that or not if that situation arises.

Reactions: vancityluongo

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The actual answer is whether FA has the balls to sign off on that or not if that situation arises.
definitely this. although, with jr at the helm and with the lessons (hopefully) learned from the benning days, i'd tend to think frankie will agree to whatever management proposes.

from allvin, the actual answer there seems to be "we're willing to wait out other teams at the table by accepting the risk right now that he gets injured at/before the deadline and we're left in a position where we either have to re-sign him or let him walk for nothing/pre-UFA signing rights"

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Danton Heinen signing for only $1mm/1y with the team that let him go to UFA is a sign that the market is capped out. He probably should’ve been a +$2mm plus AAV.

The music has stopped and those bottom-six players left on the market are going to have to take whatever they can find.

I wouldn’t mind seeing the Canucks circle back on Tyler Motte and offer him a Heinen-like deal. Give him an opportunity to prove his value on the market again next off-season.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The organization should really not be signing any long-term, high-dollar deals at all right now until they have some visibility on fixing the cap issue. They could put themselves in a very bad spot given upcoming contracts and a relatively flat cap.

You could lock up Horvat, but I don’t know if they really helps you either.

Reactions: MarkMM

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Motte is a high energy guy that was loved by the fans and the team. Would give him a 1 million over 2 years for sure.
You easily sign Motte to a 1M contract even for a 3 year term. Entirely buriable cap hit in the AHL with easy shuttling between Abby and Van and massively upgrades your 4th line. Of course, as a waiver-eligible player, you run the risk of him getting poached.

If I were him, perhaps signing a 1-year contract with a contender would be preferable at that salary with the hope that a good showing leads to a better contract next offseason.

From Rutherford's recent comments, he doesn't sound very confident about Poolman's health. If they are aggressive, they could start to plan on spending that LTIR to acquire maybe 2 buy-low candidates to help shore up deficiencies. That way 1.25M salaries can be shunted down to the AHL if Poolman returns to the lineup.

Reactions: Szechwan

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The organization should really not be signing any long-term, high-dollar deals at all right now until they have some visibility on fixing the cap issue. They could put themselves in a very bad spot given upcoming contracts and a relatively flat cap.

You could lock up Horvat, but I don’t know if they really helps you either.
Given the market could be even tighter next year, you might start thinking about trading Horvat at the deadline and looking get him back in the offseason. It's going to be another tough year for UFAs.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Pearson's contract was terrible from the beginning. That hasn't changed.

Now he's essentially a 4th liner making $3.25M for another 2 years.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Pearson's contract was terrible from the beginning. That hasn't changed.

Now he's essentially a 4th liner making $3.25M for another 2 years.
How is he a 4th liner..Kuzmenko could be sitting in press box by Thanksgiving for all we know?

14 goals ,20 assists /all situations is about right for his salary.

I fully agree though..he is redundant with the new additions..Plus ,difficult to move given the cap climate.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
I know we don’t NEED more forwards but Heinen at $1m is just showing us what the market is really like in this cap world. We could seriously try to get Motte back or sign someone like Aston Reese for legit depth.

They will be sitting in the press box. At this point that 4th LW position belongs to Hoglander and I wouldn't want any free agent to replace him.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Given the market could be even tighter next year, you might start thinking about trading Horvat at the deadline and looking get him back in the offseason. It's going to be another tough year for UFAs.

The market has really shaped up as a disaster for the Canucks. Truly worst case scenario stuff.

I don't envy management, there are no silver bullets here. You're about 100 miles from being a contender, but you're cap-strapped and have a 95-point hockey team and a slew of high-end expiring contracts coming up. Brutal situation.

As I've said, there's really only one option here in my mind, and that's taking a hit next year to reset the cap ... probably realistically looking at moving Horvat and Miller. You better knock those trades out of the park though, or you're basically looking at another rebuild given Pettersson's contract situation.

Reactions: quat

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
They will be sitting in the press box. At this point that 4th LW position belongs to Hoglander and I wouldn't want any free agent to replace him.
Motte and Aston Reese, if signed, would not be in the press box. Only way it works at this point though is if we are moving out Pearson and Dickinson, somehow. Which I doubt is possible. I suppose if/when Miller or Garland is traded there would also be cap space and roster space for one of them.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Danton Heinen signing for only $1mm/1y with the team that let him go to UFA is a sign that the market is capped out. He probably should’ve been a +$2mm plus AAV.

The music has stopped and those bottom-six players left on the market are going to have to take whatever they can find.

I wouldn’t mind seeing the Canucks circle back on Tyler Motte and offer him a Heinen-like deal. Give him an opportunity to prove his value on the market again next off-season.
I agree so much, bring back Motte for 1 million, honest 1.5 million still isn't bad for one year considering that would eat up the cap space and final roster spot.....I know we need to get lucky with Dickinson, either he moves and we get a 3 C or he finds his gear and actually plays.....either way Motte back has been my hope since the day we signed him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad