Fantasy GM Thread | Heatwave Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Tage Thompson just got a 7 year 7.14MM AAV extension from Buffalo.

Still has one year left on current deal so he's now locked up for 8 years.

Better hope he keeps shooting 15% instead of his previous 6-8%!
It's 2022 and NHL GMs still can't figure out what personal and on-ice shooting percentages are.

What are you worried about? Not sure I’m following
A lot of second-contract players are getting big RFA deals off just one strong platform year. Petey is going to have a much longer/stronger track record and will be one year away from UFA status. He's going to demand (and receive) an absolutely massive bag.

And the Canucks will just have to pay him whatever he wants. Otherwise he just signs the QO and heads to UFA the next offseason.

Jim Benning has unimaginably damaged this franchise.

• Haha
Reactions: RutherPlan

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It's 2022 and NHL GMs still can't figure out what personal and on-ice shooting percentages are.

A lot of second-contract players are getting big RFA deals off just one strong platform year. Petey is going to have a much longer/stronger track record and will be one year away from UFA status. He's going to demand (and receive) an absolutely massive bag.

And the Canucks will just have to pay him whatever he wants. Otherwise he just signs the QO and heads to UFA the next offseason.

Generally agree on those critical of Benning for Petey's current contract, but also, keep in mind how everyone felt last December when Petey looked entirely broken. Would you have felt good at that time if he had an 8x9-10 contract?

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Ok I see. Giving Petey a huge contract doesn’t really bother me tbh. I’ve never had a problem paying good players in their prime. If we give Petey a 8 year $72-$80 million contract when he’s 26 I have no issue with that at all (of course I’m assuming some progression and production improvement from him to warrant this contract).

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Generally agree on those critical of Benning for Petey's current contract, but also, keep in mind how everyone felt last December when Petey looked entirely broken. Would you have felt good at that time if he had an 8x9-10 contract?
Both ways please, we like too have it both ways. With a side of cake which we will also eat.

In all seriousness, Peterson will want it both ways. “I want to play for a winning team” and also, “give me as much of that aav as I can get”

Reactions: wonton15

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yeah, I wanted him signed long-term from the start. I didn't believe a guy who was on the cusp of elite status in his first and second years in the NHL suddenly forgot how to play.

Ok I see. Giving Petey a huge contract doesn’t really bother me tbh. I’ve never had a problem paying good players in their prime. If we give Petey a 8 year $72-$80 million contract when he’s 26 I have no issue with that at all (of course I’m assuming some progression and production improvement from him to warrant this contract).
He's getting more than $10M per year on his third contract.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Yeah, I wanted him signed long-term from the start. I didn't believe a guy who was on the cusp of elite status in his first and second years in the NHL suddenly forgot how to play.
I mean, he did though, for like four months.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
It depends how he plays these next two seasons but yes it’s possible. And if that happens, it means he’s played great and taken the next step so I would have no problem paying him that.

Yeah, I feel like fans are often too afraid to pay a player what he's worth. If he's actually playing well enough to demand 10M, so be it, that's good for us.

Unfortunately at this point we have no sort of pedigree or veteran leadership that would put pressure on these guys to sign team-friendly contracts. Perhaps if we do have some real success over the next few years, the players will be inclined to take less to "keep the band together".

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Kings fan is willing to do Grans + JAD + a pick for Miller on the mainboards.

Garland - Pettersson - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Mikheyev

Pearson - JAD - Podkolzin

Joshua - Lazar - Hoglander

Hughes - Grans

OEL - Myers

Dermott - Schenn

It would turn this year almost purely into a development year, but it would be a fun one at least.

Only thing is, I doubt a coach like Boudreau would have much patience for developing young players. That'd be the only issue.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Hughes - Grans

OEL - Myers

Dermott - Schenn

It would turn this year almost purely into a development year, but it would be a fun one at least.

Only thing is, I doubt a coach like Boudreau would have much patience for developing young players. That'd be the only issue.

I think I'd do that. I don't really know anything about either player besides stat watching though.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

Hughes - Grans

OEL - Myers

Dermott - Schenn

Depends on what that pick is it. Underwhelming at first glance but it checks a real big RHD box. Grans looks like he’s going to be pretty good.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Depends on what that pick is it. Underwhelming at first glance but it checks a real big RHD box. Grans looks like he’s going to be pretty good.
Yeah I'd want a first for the deal to really be appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad