Fantasy GM Thread | Drop the Puck Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
i mean if you're going to take zaitsev back and only get a 2nd out of it in a myers deal you should at least try to move myers somewhere else with some small retention and see if you can get better than a 2nd and not get stuck with zaitsev
With another team .. understood

Sadly i think at this point a 2nd rounder for myers is a good return

Reactions: MarkMM

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
I wonder if Ottawa was or is interested in Horvat.

Not sure if its feasible capwise but something along the lines of Horvat + Myers for Ott 23 1st (lottery protected), Zaitsev (cap dump), B / B+ prospect

Not sure if it works out capwise (if Norris goes on LTIR would that help).

Ottawa probably doesn't do that now with losing their 7th in a row tonight but I did think with the Norris injury potentially being for the rest of the season Horvat would be a nice fit for them

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
With another team .. understood

Sadly i think at this point a 2nd rounder for myers is a good return
Yep a 2nd rounder for Myers would be a solid return imo. The more picks the better especially with this year being a fully loaded draft its well worth adding more

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
A second for Myers would be amazing. Cap space is most important, but picks and prospects in the system would be equally important at the dismal stage were in. Collect as many picks and prospects as you can get, and start over.

I would really like to follow Arizona's foot steps.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I wonder if Ottawa was or is interested in Horvat.

Not sure if its feasible capwise but something along the lines of Horvat + Myers for Ott 23 1st (lottery protected), Zaitsev (cap dump), B / B+ prospect

Not sure if it works out capwise (if Norris goes on LTIR would that help).

Ottawa probably doesn't do that now with losing their 7th in a row tonight but I did think with the Norris injury potentially being for the rest of the season Horvat would be a nice fit for them
This isn't a good return unless that 1st is top 15. Horvat alone should fetch a 1st and B prospect minimum, that leaves a Myers for Zaitsev swap which is awful for Vancouver.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The problem for a lot of teams, Ottawa included, is you’d think they are trading for Bo with the intention of re-signing him. Ottawa has a lot of cap space tied up in forwards next year and need to extend Debrincat.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Although, I’m for trading Horvat but if you trade Horvat, you have to also move Miller. It’s absolutely pointless to move Horvat and keep Miller. This management group has to move Horvat, Miller and Myers by this TDL. If the right deal comes by you move Garland and Boeser but you should move them in the offseason, maybe at the draft. Big moves and big shake up is needed here, by just moving Horvat and Myers it doesn’t move the needle enough. Miller has to be moved, his time line didn’t match up with the Canucks in the offseason and even more so once you move Horvat. Re-signing Miller was just stupid, I’m still in disbelief they actually re-signed him… clueless and desperate. Honestly, it’s hard to believe these people get paid to be hockey experts.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Its unfortunate they signed Miller over Horvat first, as it would of been better to have Horvat locked up in this situation due to his center ability. But at this point with the constant rotten starts, lack of d, and future lack of center depth they should really just get rid of as much as they can prior to next season, keep a few of the younger players and build properly around them with a strong draft coming up.

Before TDL the following would need to be gone:
Horvat (upcoming UFA)
Miller ( Trade before NTC kicks in, id even retain under a mil to entice team considering the cap goes up, and yes that hurst long-term)
Schenn (proven 3rd pairing on cup team)
Borroughs (good depth d for playoff team)
Rathbone (is stuck behind oel, and hughes, wont get PP1 time, wont get more than third pairing minutes)
Pearson (good playoff bottom 6)
Hoglander (mid 6 who cant play defence, hit 50+ pts once due to the team having no one better than him to play)
Bear (unless you can re-sign him long-term at a lower cap hit to play 3rd pairing, having him higher is not good if you want to improve d)
Kuzmenko* ( IF they cant sign him long-term before tdl you have to capitalize on that contract and player to a cup contender, the chemistry he has with pettersson instantly is a reason you keep him though)

Offseason:
Myers (should be easy with bonuses gone and 1 year left for a rhd , the market sucks and he can play minutes)
Boeser* (looks like he needs fresh start, give him tons of minutes to end of year to see if he can find it again, if youre lucky he does, if he doesnt with the extra time the point total will get a stupid gm to bite)
Garland (probably a decision between him and Boeser)
Demko* (depends on who the team acquires, picks, but it could be 3-4 years before the team gets to where it should be after trades and his friendly contract would be over by then. could you get a Nemec or L.Hughes in a deal for him from NJ?)

The team should only target picks, young rhd, and young centers. Of course they will get cap dumps back but if they are 1 year contracts they can be retained and flipped if the player is decent.

You realistically cant do anything about OEL, the price to dump would be too much. Buying him out, and trying to replace him with someone of equal ability/better doesnt make sense cap wise. Best bet is LTIR in the future

Ideally you keep Hughes, Pettersson, Mikheyev, 1 of boeser/garland, Podkolzin.
See if you have anything in any of your d prospects, and play them it cant get much worse. Great draft too.
Also give players like Karlsson, Klimovich, Lockwood an extended look to see if they have the talent, and can find an extra level for the NHL.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I have a question. If given the chance to sign one of the following, who would you sign: Artem Zub or Vladislav Gavrikov?

-both will be, essentially, 28 years old for next season
-both Russian
-share the same agent, Dan Milstein, who we know has an excellent relationship with the Canucks (Kuzmenko & Mikheyev)
-Gavrikov is LD and Zub RD
-Gavrikov is more of a traditional 2-way player that can anchor a second pairing
-Zub appears to be the ideal partner for Hughes
-Gavrikov should come at a higher cost and term commitment

Reactions: timw33

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I have a question. If given the chance to sign one of the following, who would you sign: Artem Zub or Vladislav Gavrikov?

-both Russian
-share the same agent, Dan Milstein, who we know has an excellent relationship with the Canucks (Kuzmenko & Mikheyev)
-Gavrikov is more of a traditional 2-way player that can anchor a second pairing

dez

Mar 3, 2012

-both Russian
Both

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Some quick contract comparables for both:

Gravikov:
Travis Sanheim - 8y/6.25m
MacKenzie Weegar - 8y/6.25m
Mikhail Sergachev - 8y/8.5m
Tyler Myers - 5y/6m
Jonas Brodin - 7y/6m
Ryan McDonagh - 7y/6.75m
Justin Faulk - 7y/6.5m
Torey Krug - 7y/6.5m
Colton Parayko - 8y/6.5m
Nate Schmidt - 6y/5.95m
Hampus Lindholm - 8y/6.5m

Zub:
Erik Cernak - 8y/5.2m
Chris Tanev - 4y/4.5m
Cody Cecei - 4y/3.25m
Adam Larsson - 4y/4m
Jake McCabe - 4y/4m
Connor Murphy - 4y/4.4m
Josh Manson - 4y/4.5m
Erik Gudbranson - 4y/4m
David Savard - 4y/3.5m

And yes, obviously if the space was available to sign both, I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad