Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Or you can trade Schenn for a 2nd and package that to get rid of Hamonic. Trade Motte and use that pick to get rid of Poolman. Once you free up enough cap, you can go help out Tampa and Vegas by taking on players for little to no cost.

What is all of this?

Slow down and react to one comment at a time... The breakdown is Luke Schenn's value to the Canucks as traded for a draft pick. Easy tiger...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This is essentially how Jim Benning thought and this is essentially why the team is in such a pickle.

If a team offered a respectable prospect plus a 3rd-rounder for Schenn, the concern would be that a man of Rutherford's age might keel over from shock. Fortunately, Allvin has the authority to pick the phone out of Rutherford's hand and say "Yes!" before calling 911.
This is a $850K player that plays above his pay grade, and ticks a lot of boxes (that the team is in dire need of), ..far too many to be traded for a scratch and win, and some magic beans..He's elevated his game game, and his value to the team.

I honestly don't think that its JR's or Allvins plan to 'scorch the earth' to satiate the impatient portion of the fanbase...Hopefully, they're smarter than that.

Feb 19, 2018
Our PP and PK could use a few fresh faces on them. I’d argue both are worst in the league right now. Our PP can’t even setup or enter the zone. Our PK let’s about 2 goals a game. I have never seen worse special teams in the 30 years of being a fan of this team.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
This is a $850K player that plays above his pay grade, and ticks a lot of boxes (that the team is in dire need of), ..far too many to be traded for a scratch and win, and some magic beans..He's elevated his game game, and his value to the team.

I honestly don't think that its JR's or Allvins plan to 'scorch the earth' to satiate the impatient portion of the fanbase...Hopefully, they're smarter than that.

Schenn's elevation is largely a mirage caused by the presence of Quinn Hughes. Schenn is what he is. He's 32, never been more than a mediocre third-pair defenceman by any reasonable league standard and has made pit stops in the minors with each of his last three organizations. A bit of a peak form period, combined with benefitting from Hughes and also from the goalies stopping pucks at an unsustainable rate when's he been on the ice, and suddenly people think Schenn's a competent 4/5. He's nothing of the sort.

The portion of the fanbase that you're labelling as impatient-- the skeptical portion-- has generally been correct over the past eight years more often than the portion that was optimistic. I think that impatience was shown more by the group that wanted to win and rebuild all at the same time.

Re: "magic beans," every once in a while those beans turn into Igor Shesterkin or Kirill Kaprizov or Jesper Bratt or Anthony Cirelli, etc. I'd rather have had fewer Luke Schenn clones and more magic beans to plant.

I agree with you on one point: I don't expect a rebuild. Aquilini wouldn't have hired Rutherford if that's what he recommended. That impatience thing, again.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Schenn's elevation is largely a mirage caused by the presence of Quinn Hughes. Schenn is what he is. He's 32, never been more than a mediocre third-pair defenceman by any reasonable league standard and has made pit stops in the minors with each of his last three organizations. A bit of a peak form period, combined with benefitting from Hughes and also from the goalies stopping pucks at an unsustainable rate when's he been on the ice, and suddenly people think Schenn's a competent 4/5. He's nothing of the sort.

The portion of the fanbase that you're labelling as impatient-- the skeptical portion-- has generally been correct over the past eight years more often than the portion that was optimistic. I think that impatience was shown more by the group that wanted to win and rebuild all at the same time.

Re: "magic beans," every once in a while those beans turn into Igor Shesterkin or Kirill Kaprizov or Jesper Bratt or Anthony Cirelli, etc. I'd rather have had fewer Luke Schenn clones and more magic beans to plant.

I agree with you on one point: I don't expect a rebuild. Aquilini wouldn't have hired Rutherford if that's what he recommended. That impatience thing, again.

I kinda get what you're point is but stop. There is zero evidence regarding whether Hughes has affected Schenn's game more or vice versa. Why speculate on something that is not quantifiable? Instead focus on the results. They are at their best together. When they are together AT THEIR SALARY, they provide amazing value as a defeipair. They make a big difference to the results of the team when they are together...

The conversation should end right about there...lol

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So looking at team stats...our goals against is below average, and in spite of an awful PK, most of our defensive stats are alright, or at least above average. Demko is king.

However, PP aside (only slightly below average), our offensive stats are subpar.

Team corsi is below average on both sides though.

I don't know what needs fixing, but if this is a "retool", I don't see us not moving a number of core players.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

.QH has been tried out with many a D man, and nearly all have been ill suited....His perfect fit was with Tanev, but before him was Schenn...They have reconnected and Schenn has been good fit...There's no argument that our goalies are making the D look good (the best in the league in the last 30 games or so)...Schenn's been a big part of that...and yeah, you can get Shesterkin level players in the 3rd round, but 9 times out of 10 , you're going to get a pickled gherkin.

I'll put my money on Schenn..a good placeholder until JR gets a deal done for a young quality RHD.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
.QH has been tried out with many a D man, and nearly all have been ill suited....His perfect fit was with Tanev, but before him was Schenn...They have reconnected and Schenn has been good fit...There's no argument that our goalies are making the D look good (the best in the league in the last 30 games or so)...Schenn's been a big part of that...and yeah, you can get Shesterkin level players in the 3rd round, but 9 times out of 10 , you're going to get a pickled gherkin.

I'll put my money on Schenn..a good placeholder until JR gets a deal done for a young quality RHD.

Canucks vs. Red Wings in the future. This season they are basically even on win-loss record, Canucks slightly better on goal differential. Both have been bottom feeders for most of the past several seasons. Who'll be better in the future? My money is on the Red Wings, the team that grabbed up all the magic beans that it could and planted them, rather than the Canucks who have taken your preferred route and acquired/kept a bunch of mediocre veterans.

Picks added/subtracted by round, 2017-2021 drafts:

1st: Det +2, Vcr -2
2nd: Det +5, Vcr even
3rd: Det +6, Vcr -2
4th-7th: Small overall advantage to Detroit

And to-date for 2022, Detroit has added a 2nd plus two 4ths while subtracting only a 6th, while the Canucks have subtracted a 2nd. We'll see which works best, the Magic Bean strategy or the Luke Schenn Has Morphed At Age 32 strategy.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Rebuild is the only option. The Nucks don’t have the prospects and are capped out so a quick retool isn’t going to work.

I don't think thats necessarily the case...if they can get a smart return on Miller, Motte and maybe Boeser, possibly dump Myers in the off season...possibly Dickinson and Pearson too...you can really start moving in a positive direction. The key is making smart moves now and understand that next season is basically a write off meant for developing and effectively using cap space to gain assets...I'm very curious to see what kind of moves they end up making, do they have a good group of pro and amateur scouts among them? If they don't, we could be in another prolonged mess.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I think Motte is a guy you have to trade because of his UFA status. Right now he is great value for contract, but that will end when he gets his new contract (most likely). We need to be moneypucking the crap out of our bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defence, and Motte should bring a good return.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
The more I think about it, the less I want us to move Tyler Motte. Our team really, really needs to have some of these guys that just lay it all on the line and work their sacks off.
If you can offload Dickinson/poolman and replace their salary with motte than perhaps…

what could motte fetch us at the deadline?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Willing to bet this may be a buyers market. Tons of parity within the playoff bracket and GMs are probably looking at the past 2 SCF opponents in Dallas and MTL thinking they have a shot if they get in. No need to sell the farm for guys they may not need.

Maybe JR is best suited to wait until the offseason when the dust settles.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Willing to bet this may be a buyers market. Tons of parity within the playoff bracket and GMs are probably looking at the past 2 SCF opponents in Dallas and MTL thinking they have a shot if they get in. No need to sell the farm for guys they may not need.

Maybe JR is best suited to wait until the offseason when the dust settles.

I think there are enough desperate teams (and GM's) who need to make something happen before their windows close that there will be some deals to be had.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The value of Schenn isn't just as a partner for Quinn Hughes, it's his contract. At barely above the league minimum for the next couple of seasons, he'd be a bargain pickup for a team looking to add a veteran d-man.

In fact a package of J.T. Miller and Schenn should have playoff-bound teams salivating. I mean for under $6m a season you add a ppg forward and a veteran d-man, and their contracts are guaranteed for another season. And if the Canucks were willing to retain salary, the package would be even more attractive.

From the Canucks standpoint, the value of these two guys will never be higher.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The value of Schenn isn't just as a partner for Quinn Hughes, it's his contract. At barely above the league minimum for the next couple of seasons, he'd be a bargain pickup for a team looking to add a veteran d-man.

In fact a package of J.T. Miller and Schenn should have playoff-bound teams salivating. I mean for under $6m a season you add a ppg forward and a veteran d-man, and their contracts are guaranteed for another season. And if the Canucks were willing to retain salary, the package would be even more attractive.

From the Canucks standpoint, the value of these two guys will never be higher.

If they could package those guys to LA for some of their young talent, I'd be all over it.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
So some of you are saying Schenn is playing above a 6/7 guy so we should keep him because of his low contract vs actual value provided. So I assume since all of you are saying we should keep him as Hughes’ partner, then he is playing at a top4 dman. Hello, top4 D earning 800K gets you a lot in return at the trade deadline. He also has that “special cup winning experience” reputation now because he spent 2 years with Tampa.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
We have so many 6-10 RHd signed for next year and all of them are practically the same style of defensemen.

Schenn,Hamonic, Poolman, Burroughs, Keeper, Woo, Juulsen

I'm sure Allvinford want to sign some undrafted free agent dman. Free up those contract slots

Every draft pick just improves your odds at getting something in the lottery

Reactions: m9

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So some of you are saying Schenn is playing above a 6/7 guy so we should keep him because of his low contract vs actual value provided. So I assume since all of you are saying we should keep him as Hughes’ partner, then he is playing at a top4 dman. Hello, top4 D earning 800K gets you a lot in return at the trade deadline. He also has that “special cup winning experience” reputation now because he spent 2 years with Tampa.
Id keep him, gives our 1D some stability which he lost last year so why not. Is cheap, tough as nails, and does a ok job defensively. If we were a competitive team I would want a true top 4 to be paired with Hughes, but for now Schenn fills the role

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Need to lose out the month to kill the hope.

It's a real shame we won the Toronto and SJ games were were were absolute shit.

Without those wins we'd be essentially 13-14 points out when you factor in games in hand and tiebreakers and not even the biggest optimist could think we had a chance at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad