Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
and who will give up a second for Schenn? that's a lot for Schenn
Who knows, trade deadline is weird right? Bottom paring guys get traded at over inflated price, especially ones that are cheap cap wise. A lot of contenders want more depth but don’t have enough cap to get players so Schenn at 800K should be attractive.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised to see schenn get a 2nd.
Stranger things have definitely happened and he's dirt cheap for 2 full playoffs.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Who knows, trade deadline is weird right? Bottom paring guys get traded at over inflated price, especially ones that are cheap cap wise. A lot of contenders want more depth but don’t have enough cap to get players so Schenn at 800K should be attractive.

but you're making your case on trading Schenn for a 2nd, no one is say we wouldn't do that but that's not the likely return. Is there a recent example of a 6/7th D man landing a 2nd rounder at TDL?

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
This debate is getting weird.

Group A: Because he is cheap, effective, and signed for another year, we shouldn't trade Schenn unless it's for a really great return, like a 2nd.
Group B: It is impossible to believe that people are saying they wouldn't trade Schenn for a 2nd. Imagine what we could do with a 2nd! (Lists various perfectly fine permutations of the 2nd's value).
Group A: Yes. Right. If someone were to offer a 2nd, we should take it.
Group B: Schenn is not good enough for a 2nd. Why do you think we could get a 2nd for him?
Group A: Well, that's why it would be a great return. And we should only trade Schenn for a great return, like a 2nd.
Group B: It is IMPOSSIBLE to believe that people are saying they wouldn't trade Schenn for a 2nd! Etc...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Agreed. Schenn gives stability to Hughes and is super cheap. For those reasons alone you keep him. You would not be just trading Schenn. Keeping them together allows Quinn to continue to grow as a defenseman in a comfortable space.
Those are not the only reasons..He's tough, a vet team leader...and he's playing well.

By the time you get around to replacing these players ,who are value for their contracts...How much are you saving..really?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
but you're making your case on trading Schenn for a 2nd, no one is say we wouldn't do that but that's not the likely return. Is there a recent example of a 6/7th D man landing a 2nd rounder at TDL?
36 year old Andy greene for 2nd and Queenville.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'd trade schenn for a 3rd + middle 6 prospect everyday and twice on sundays.

And im sure if Benning was here and he traded schenn for 2 4ths it'd have been celebrated as a massive win.....
But now we should hang on to 33 yr old depth Defensemen who very well may never be worth more, and who will never contribute to contention, because toughness.

Our prospect pool is disgutted and barren void. We need everything that could contribute to an annual contender in a few years.
Schenn will be worth negative zero by then.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017

And im sure if Benning was here and he traded schenn for 2 4ths it'd have been celebrated as a massive win.....
But now we should hang on to 33 yr old depth Defensemen who very well may never be worth more, and who will never contribute to contention, because toughness.

Our prospect pool is disgutted and barren void. We need everything that could contribute to an annual contender in a few years.
Maybe but that opens up a couple other problems- toughness and partners for Hughes

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Odds are more than likely your 3rd or 4th round pick will never even play an NHL game...Even though Schenn is a placeholder, you're getting great value from a solid NHL player, that plays well with QH.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Maybe but that opens up a couple other problems- toughness and partners for Hughes
Why are those problems?
We are not competing for a couple years atleast, so the next 2 years team identity can only possibly be solved by 33yr old luke schenn?!

Burroughs is younger, cheap, and tough can that not be an in house replacement?

Hughes can play with another defenseman, maybe even the one we could trade for with added assets from schenn, if he's going to be the type of player we need him to be to become a cup contender anyways.

Sure if the offers are only a 6th keep him for tha culture, but I think any reasonable offer of a good or multiple young assets is much better for the future of the team and the farm team for that matter.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
This debate is getting weird.

Group A: Because he is cheap, effective, and signed for another year, we shouldn't trade Schenn unless it's for a really great return, like a 2nd.
Group B: It is impossible to believe that people are saying they wouldn't trade Schenn for a 2nd. Imagine what we could do with a 2nd! (Lists various perfectly fine permutations of the 2nd's value).
Group A: Yes. Right. If someone were to offer a 2nd, we should take it.
Group B: Schenn is not good enough for a 2nd. Why do you think we could get a 2nd for him?
Group A: Well, that's why it would be a great return. And we should only trade Schenn for a great return, like a 2nd.
Group B: It is IMPOSSIBLE to believe that people are saying they wouldn't trade Schenn for a 2nd! Etc...

Lololol…

Nailed it

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
36 year old Andy greene for 2nd and Queenville.

Islanders played 36 playoff games in the past two seasons (40 games if you count the 2020 preliminary round) and Andy Greene played in all of them. He wasn't a 6/7; he's been an everyday player since 2007 and was New Jersey's captain. Quenneville was a nothing toss-in; he was an ECHL/AHL tweener and now he's playing in Sweden.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The more I think about it, the less I want us to move Tyler Motte. Our team really, really needs to have some of these guys that just lay it all on the line and work their sacks off.

I think the issue is that: (1) we won't have the cap space to spend on a player like Motte who is likely due for a raise, when we have bigger fish to fry with the defence to fix; and (2) by the time the team is competitive, Motte will be declining due to age and his physical style of play. I don't think Motte's a player that ages well into his 30s.

Reactions: canucksfan

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The more I think about it, the less I want us to move Tyler Motte. Our team really, really needs to have some of these guys that just lay it all on the line and work their sacks off.

Yeah, but at what price? If he gets a multiple year, $3M contract, he'll get the same criticism that Roussel or Beagle got.

Bottom 6 guys need to be on ELC or cheap, one year vets.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Horvat seems like a nice guy and put up with a lot of shit years, but he likely still has quite high value.

So I’d trade him.

Set the tone that things have to change.

And if they trade him now, it might give him enough time to get where he needs to go.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'm down..His line plays 15 minutes a night...Motte is the straw that stirs the drink on that line...Depending on how much he wants, they should try and retain him (obviously one of the coaches favourites)..My only concern with him is he's getting injury prone, he takes a beating.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why are those problems?
We are not competing for a couple years atleast, so the next 2 years team identity can only possibly be solved by 33yr old luke schenn?!

Burroughs is younger, cheap, and tough can that not be an in house replacement?

Hughes can play with another defenseman, maybe even the one we could trade for with added assets from schenn, if he's going to be the type of player we need him to be to become a cup contender anyways.

Sure if the offers are only a 6th keep him for tha culture, but I think any reasonable offer of a good or multiple young assets is much better for the future of the team and the farm team for that matter.
Keep him for the culture..?...what ?..he's playing 17-21 minutes a game...for the paltry fee of $850K..He's a significant contributor on the blue line, hitting like a truck..he's not a mascot.

Extremely unlikely a 3rd round pick and a B prospect will get anywhere near that , let alone help us be a SC contender.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Horvat seems like a nice guy and put up with a lot of shit years, but he likely still has quite high value.

So I’d trade him.

Set the tone that things have to change.

And if they trade him now, it might give him enough time to get where he needs to go.

I wonder 4 years from now, who's a better player Horvat or Miller? Relative to their caphit of course

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Keep him for the culture..?...what ?..he's playing 17-21 minutes a game...for the paltry fee of $850K..He's a significant contributor on the blue line, hitting like a truck..he's not a mascot.

Extremely unlikely a 3rd round pick and a B prospect will get anywhere near that , let alone help us be a SC contender.

This is essentially how Jim Benning thought and this is essentially why the team is in such a pickle.

If a team offered a respectable prospect plus a 3rd-rounder for Schenn, the concern would be that a man of Rutherford's age might keel over from shock. Fortunately, Allvin has the authority to pick the phone out of Rutherford's hand and say "Yes!" before calling 911.

Reactions: vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad